What's new

[ASUS RT-AC1200] - Help configuring port forwarding.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SaxBlaCussionIzer

Occasional Visitor
Hi! Just bought the RT-AC1200 to replace another ASUS that went belly up a few days earlier (blinking lights, smoke, you name it.... ok, no smoke... :). Everything's working except one thing. I do bit torrenting of ROIO's (Recordings of Independent Origin - nothing illegal going on here) and i'm having problems sharing torrents with others. Able to download stuff just fine, but having problems connecting to peers in order to share what i've downloaded. Using Azerus' Vuze software, was using it with the last router and it worked 100% fine. Now, unable to share (except on very rare occasions) and my question revolves around sharing data Peer-to-Peer and is probably an issue with Port Forwarding on my new router.

Called ASUS technical support first. The guy i got seemed basically clueless and indicated that they don't typically help with this. I led him thru my setup, he was of no help, he said he'd refer it to another group who would call me back in 24-48 hours. It's been 96 and i'm no longer holding my breath. Other technical details include:
router installed on PC running Windows 10, updated to most recent patch.
I've got three possible firewalls - Norton Security, Windows and my router. Norton is set up to control my Windows firewall, so the Windows one is always down. Norton had been configured to allow Azerus previously, i've changed nothing with this new router (and maybe i should, i just don't see anything to change). The firewall on my router has been disabled. I've also played with ALL of my firewalls down, same results. Don't think the firewall is an issue.

With that, here's what i'm doing. Vuze listens for requests on a port that i specify. I'll use the number 12000 for that, though the actual number is different. When i start the software, everything starts, seems to connect with the tracker, seems to recognize other peers, but never connects with them. The software offers a couple of NAT tests. The results are as follows:

There's a test in the Vuze software for Network Status. When you start it up, it displays the port number to test, which defaults to the port number 12000 that i specified above. The results are:

Testing TCP port 12000 inbound
Test failed: NAT test failed: Error: Connection refused: connect
Check your port forwarding for TCP 12000
and
Testing UDP port 12000 inbound
Sending outbound packet and waiting for reply probe (timeout=5000)
Sending outbound packet and waiting for reply probe (timeout=10000)
Sending outbound packet and waiting for reply probe (timeout=15000)
Sending completion event
Test failed: Inbound test failed
Check your port forwarding for UDP 12000
No incoming connections received, likely NAT problems

Obviously, it sees a problem. There's a second test called "NAT Firewall Test". The dialog box comes up and the Incoming TCP Listen Port is populated with the port that i'd set up in the Preferences. When running that test, i get:
Testing port TCP 12000 ...
Unable to test: Invalid port given, or test service failed.
Another application may already be using this port..
(Error: Connection refused: connect).

I get something similar for the UDP port test:

Testing port UDP 12000 ...
Sending outbound packet and waiting for reply probe (timeout=5000)
Sending outbound packet and waiting for reply probe (timeout=10000)
Sending outbound packet and waiting for reply probe (timeout=15000)
Sending completion event
NAT Error. Inbound test failed, timed out.

The message "Another application may be using the port" is odd, Vuze is set up to use this port, so it SHOULD be used.... by the application that i am using it for. So, not sure if that message is bogus or not.

So, i've got a problem and in researching how to solve it, i came across the idea (and from the error msg) above, that i need to set up port forwarding inside the router, which (as best i understand it) involves setting up a virtual static IP address behind my firewall. So, what follows is a description of what i've done there.

What follows is thru the Control Panel on the PC:

1. Control Panel->Network and Internet->Network and Sharing Center->Change Adapter Settings
2. Chose My Local Area Network
3. Properties->Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)->Properties
4. Modified "Obtain and IP Address Automatically" to "Use the Following IP Address".
5. Created these values (NOT the actual values for security purposes). Where the numbers match, that indicates that i used the same value in both places .....

a. IP Address: 192.168.1.20 (this is the static IP that i created manually)
b. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
c. Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (this is the value obtained from running "ipconfig/all" from the command shell)

6. Changed from 'Obtain DNS server automatically' to 'Use the following DNS server addresses'.

a. Under "Preferred DNS Server", i used the same value as in 5c above (default gateway 192.168.1.1 in my example).

That's it for Windows. Now for the router part. I went into my ASUS router software (RT-AC1200) and did the following.... (WAN connection type is "Automatic IP" is "Yes", "Enable NAT" is also "Yes") -
1. Went into the Firewall section and disabled the firewall.
2. Went into the WAN section and went to the Virtual Server/Port Forwarding tab and created a port forwarding list entry containing the following values:

a. Service Name: Vuze (i believe this is an identifier and can be any value?)
b. Source Target: blank (Don't know what this represents)
c. Port Range: 12000 (this is the port specified within Vuze under Tools->Options->Connection->Incoming TCP listen port and UDP listen port - they are the same within Vuze, and since i've specified a specific port, i'm not sure if i need to specify a range?)
d. Local IP: the new static IP address that i created above (NOT the default gateway value) - 192.168.1.20 (again, this number is fictitious, and matches the value for 5a. above - is this correct or should it be the IP of the default gateway?)
e. Local Port - blank
f. Protocol: Both (Meaning both TCP and UDP)

After that, i clicked (+) to add the entry, it's in the list. I then reboot my router, restart my Vuze software and sit and watch my Vuze do nothing. It has a panel for "All Peers" and it seems to see many requests, but doesn't connect and fulfill any of them.

I think that about covers it. Sorry for the long-winded nature of it, but this is the full problem as best as i can describe it. Comments, suggestions welcomed.

Last edited:
did you make a full factory reset and configure again?

your IP 192.55.2.2 seems strange to me, private IP range is within 192.168.x.x.

Full factory reset? No, just installed it for the first time. Is that necessary? The IP 192.55.2.2 is NOT the IP address, as i've indicated in my notes. In fact, it is 192.168.x.x. I was merely obscuring the actual value for security purposes.

So, "if" my default gateway value were 192.168.1.1, the static IP value that i created would be different, for example 192.168.1.20. I've modified my original post to use these values, for clarity. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Do not disable the firewall on the router.

Does your router's WAN interface have a public IP address (i.e. not 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x or 100.x.x.x)?

Ensure that you have UPnP enabled on your router's WAN page.

Check that your PC's network connection is configured as a "Home" network and not a "Public" one.

I haven't used Vuze for years but when I did it worked out-of-the-box without the need for any changes provided UPnP was enabled. Because you have now manually setup port forwarding this will conflict with Vuze's attempts to use UPnP.

I suggest that you factory reset your router and apart from changing SSID's and passwords go with the defaults. Change your PC's network interface back to being a DHCP client. Reboot everything and try again.

If it still doesn't work it's possible that your ISP is blocking P2P traffic.

Do not disable the firewall on the router.

OK, was trying to eliminate variables. Enabled.

Does your router's WAN interface have a public IP address (i.e. not 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x or 100.x.x.x)?

I'm not sure what you mean by this or where i would find it. Can you expand on that? I "think" you are asking for my IPv4 address, and that DOES follow the form of "192.168.x.x".

Ensure that you have UPnP enabled on your router's WAN page.

It is!

Check that your PC's network connection is configured as a "Home" network and not a "Public" one.

Again, not sure how to tell the difference.... It IS a "Private" network, maybe that means the same as "Home"?

I haven't used Vuze for years but when I did it worked out-of-the-box without the need for any changes provided UPnP was enabled. Because you have now manually setup port forwarding this will conflict with Vuze's attempts to use UPnP.

I suggest that you factory reset your router and apart from changing SSID's and passwords go with the defaults. Change your PC's network interface back to being a DHCP client. Reboot everything and try again.

Agreed, when i installed Vuze the first time, i do not remember having to go thru this. I will do the factory reset. Not "speaking network" all that well, can you expound on "changing SSID's" (credentials on router, i assume?) Also, what did i do so far that made my PC not be a DHCP client? I assume that you mean that i should undo what i've done to specify a static IP and let the network get an IP address automatically? Just want to be sure that i change the right things.....

If it still doesn't work it's possible that your ISP is blocking P2P traffic.

Thought of that, but i've been bit torrenting using either Vuze or uTorrent for years now. I would find it quite a coincidence if they decided to block me at the moment i got a new router. Would they ever "block" traffic? I'm well aware of "throttling".....

Contract with your ISP a static IP (costs $5) to have all ports open and make it easier to hack you...

I'm 99% sure that you have dynamic IP = closed all ports.

Last edited:
Contract with your ISP a static IP (costs $5) to have all ports open to make it easier to hack you...

I'm 99% that you have dynamic IP = closed ports.

I do have a dynamic IP address that is assigned to my computer when i establish a new network connection. I don't really want to go the route of a static IP, i don't think. This was all working fine before i got this new router.

Call your ISP and ask for a static IP you have to add that IP to your ASUS router (sometimes) and use your modem in bridge mode. (only as modem)

You say that before it worked without paying for a static IP, then that new dynamic IP that is assigned to your modem has all the ports blocked and the previous dynamic IP did not have them.

Dynamic IP is for the poor.

If you hire a static IP with your ISP, always use VPN.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by this or where i would find it. Can you expand on that? I "think" you are asking for my IPv4 address, and that DOES follow the form of "192.168.x.x".
On the main page when you log into the router (Network Map) it says "Internet status: Connected, WAN IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". Make sure this address is not one of the private ones I mentioned earlier.

Again, not sure how to tell the difference.... It IS a "Private" network, maybe that means the same as "Home"?
Sorry, my mistake. They changed it in Windows 10. Home is now called Private.

Not "speaking network" all that well, can you expound on "changing SSID's" (credentials on router, i assume?)
SSID is just the name you give to your wireless networks. Other than that just set your passwords as you normally would.

Also, what did i do so far that made my PC not be a DHCP client? I assume that you mean that i should undo what i've done to specify a static IP and let the network get an IP address automatically? Just want to be sure that i change the right things.....
Yes, undo the changes you did for the static IP address. So that means re-selecting "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

I don't think HowIFix's idea about a static IP address is correct but you could always ask your ISP whether they block certain types of traffic.

A final thought: Has the IP address range of your LAN changed with the new router? Was it for example 192.168.0.x before and now it's 192.168.1.x instead. I'm just wondering if there's something in the Vuze configuration that is remembering to old address range. It might be worth resetting the Vuze configuration, or uninstalling it and going through the setup again. One of the things the setup procedure probably does is make changes to the Windows firewall.

Last edited:
Call your ISP and ask for a static IP you have to add that IP to your ASUS router (sometimes) and use your modem only as a modem...

You say that before it worked without paying for a static IP, then that new dynamic IP that is assigned to your modem has all the ports blocked and the previous dynamic IP did not have them.

Dynamic IP is for the poor.

If you hire a static IP with your ISP, always use VPN.

Thank you, i understand your points. I'll consider the static IP if i need to. Going to exhaust all other possibilities before i go down that road. Thanks!

On the main page when you log into the router (Network Map) it says "Internet status: Connected, WAN IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". Make sure this address is not one of the private ones I mentioned earlier.

Sorry, my mistake. They changed it in Windows 10. Home is now called Private.

SSID is just the name you give to your wireless networks. Other than that just set your passwords as you normally would.

Yes, undo the changes you did for the static IP address. So that means re-selecting "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

I don't think HowIFix's idea about a static IP address is correct but you could always ask your ISP whether they block certain types of traffic.

A final thought: Has the IP address of your LAN changed with the new router? Was it for example 192.168.0.x before and now it's 192.168.1.x instead. I'm just wondering if there's something in the Vuze configuration that is remembering to old address range. It might be worth resetting the Vuze configuration, or uninstalling it and going through the setup again. One of the things the setup procedure does is make changes to the Windows firewall.

Thak you for the various pieces of advice! I understood what you meant on most of my questions as i worked thru resetting everything. I've reset everything all the way back to ground zero and re-run all the network tests that Vuze offers. The results are completely the same as before. I did not write down the original router's LAN IP address, but i was wondering myself if that might have changed things. I think you've given me excellent advice in removing/reinstalling Vuze and see if that fixes the issue. I am still wondering about the blocking/throttling possibility, but i just think the timing of that enforcement would be SO coincidental with it happening at the same moment as this router change. So, i am going to assume that is NOT it.... for now.

I'll report back after i've re-installed Vuze.
cheers!

I am still wondering about the blocking/throttling possibility, but i just think the timing of that enforcement would be SO coincidental with it happening at the same moment as this router change. So, i am going to assume that is NOT it.... for now.
I admit it's a long shot. Stranger things have happened. ;) One thing to bear in mind is that because you've changed your router your WAN IP address has also changed. It's (remotely) possible that this new IP address has been blacklisted in some way. Like I said, a long shot.

BTW Were you able to confirm your WAN IP was a public one?

I admit it's a long shot. Stranger things have happened. ;) One thing to bear in mind is that because you've changed your router your WAN IP address has also changed. It's (remotely) possible that this new IP address has been blacklisted in some way. Like I said, a long shot.

BTW Were you able to confirm your WAN IP was a public one?
How would i confirm that? Would that be if the WAN IP followed the form 192.168.x.x? If so, the answer to that is "Yes".

Hmmmmm, just confirming....

Under the 'General' heading->Network Map i've got:

Internet Status: Connected
WAN IP: 192.168.x.x
DDNS: GO

"GO" is a hyperlink which takes me to the "WAN-DDNS" page. Here it says the following:

"The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment."

Maybe THIS is the issue?

Maybe THIS is the issue?
Yes this is an issue.

You have a double NAT situation which prevents devices on the internet from connecting into your network (which is how torrents work).

I'm not sure how this could have ever worked before. Can you describe what equipment you have connected to your router's WAN port.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I get DSL from my provider. It comes into my home to a DLink ADSL2+Modem - model number DSL-520B. I have a standard Ethernet cable running from it's LAN output to the WAN input on this router. Same physical configuration as with my last router, i ensured that when i connected it up. So, the DSL signal chain is "Wall->Modem->Router->This PC desktop (wired, not wireless).

Above the message on the router screen that i gave below, it says:

DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name System) is a service that allows network clients to connect to the wireless router, even with a dynamic public IP address, through its registered domain name. The wireless router is embedded with the ASUS DDNS service and other DDNS services.
If you cannot use ASUS DDNS services, please go to http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php to reach your internet IP address to use this service.

Just exploring around, when i connect to the link above, i get a page that says: "Please input the ddns name to lookup" and the form of the answer appears to need to be:
(fill-in-the-blank).asuscomm.com

That may be barking up the wrong tree......

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online