What's new

ASUS RT-AC1200G+ limiting Wired Ethernet speed with Virgin SuperHub3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gcm1403

New Around Here
New to the forum, and not particularly hot on network stuff, but was sent here from the Virgin Media Community by some contributors there. I hope this is the correct Forum for this post.

I have a Virgin Media Hub 3 in Modem mode, port 1 to Asus AC1200G+ Router, and I am on the VM 600 Mbps service.

Wi-fi works fine, around 150 - 200 Mbps, I appreciate there are lots to influence it, but I went to the Asus router years ago as Hub 3 router mode wi-fi was poor.

My indication that something is amiss is in a wired Ethernet connection to my iMac via the Asus router!
If I connect my Mac to the VM Hub 3 in Modem mode directly (only 1 ethernet cable to my Mac from the Hub), I get over 600Mbps on the wired connection, so I know the VM Hub is outputting the correct bandwidth/speed in Modem mode.

However with Hub 3 in modem and connected to my Asus Router, the wired connection from the router to the iMac drops to about 250Mbps.
I want to retain the router obviously, as the Wifi from that is better than the VM Hub in router mode, but I really expected to get the same 600 Mbps speed via the routers wired ethernet connections.
I'll be adding an unmanaged switch to one of the router ports soon as I have more wired devices (PC, TV, Home Alarm) I'd like on wired connections.

• QoS is disabled.
  • I've tried another port from the Hub to the Router.
  • Router is updated with the latest Firmware.

Any help appreciated.

I am not familiar with the RT-AC1200G+ but as far as I can tell it's hardware is very similar to other Asus models like the RT-AC68U.

As mentioned in the VM forums the speed drop you're seeing is entirely consistent with hardware acceleration being disabled. See if you have an option under LAN - Switch Control to enable Hardware Acceleration (or NAT Acceleration).

As also mentioned, enabling certain features like QoS can also force hardware acceleration to be disabled. But you said you checked that.

As a last resort try doing a factory reset on the Asus and only configure the bear minimum to get it online, e.g. user name, password and WiFi. Leave everything else on default settings. Test the speed again from an Ethernet connected PC.

as far as I can tell it's hardware is very similar to other Asus models like the RT-AC68U.

It's weaker hardware, actually. BCM47189 SoC, single core 900MHz CPU with 2x2 2.4GHz/5GHz radios. Asus sells AC1200xx different versions with Broadcom, Qualcomm and MediaTek chipsets, also G+ B1 version, marketed as RT-AC58U V2 with Qualcomm IPQ4018 SoC. It's a total marketing mess there, the value pack routers, worse than AC68/86U, AX68/86U. :)

It's weaker hardware, actually. BCM47189 SoC, single core 900MHz CPU with 2x2 2.4GHz/5GHz radios. Asus sells AC1200xx different versions with Broadcom, Qualcomm and MediaTek chipsets, also G+ B1 version, marketed as RT-AC58U V2 with Qualcomm IPQ4018 SoC. It's a total marketing mess there, the value pack routers, worse than AC68/86U, AX68/86U. :)
Appreciate the info., and you seem to know the details, so could you recommend a suitable, higher quality replacement. I've no idea of prices, but I'd pay a couple of hundred £ to get something that would allow me to fully make the most of the 600Mbps service.
Thanks in advance

Check the things I said in post #2. From the reviews I've read online your current router should be capable of >800 Mbps. There should be no need to spend money on another router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!