What's new

Asus RT-Ac1750_B1 tanking speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deontae D. Jackson

New Around Here
I'm a former verizon employee with what should be the gigabit connection (940/880 though you almost never get that honestly) and so I knew from work experience to abandon their crappy Quantum gateway router.
I instead have a Asus RT-Ac1750_B1 for a small apartment and mostly wired connected devices however i'm being throttled to 90Mbps for both up and down and I cant figure out why.

I've narrowed it down to the router because a direct wan connection to the ONT from one of my desktops easily pushed me 860 Mbps up and down. Forums suggested turning off QoS because it regulates speed so that's done and it boosted me for like an hour to 300 and then dropped back down to 90 again. I dunno what my router is doing but I figured maybe I'd ask the internet gods for help.

No god here, you got 3rd string at best.

And you are talking about a wired (and not a wireless) connection? What about the wires between the PC - router and the router - modem? CAT 5-E / CAT 6 (not CAT 5) and verified at gigabit speeds? (Yeah, that was a looong shot guess : -)

Have you poked at NAT Acceleration? Explicitly turning it on? Features that may be incompatible with NAT Acceleration include Port Forwarding, QoS, IP Traffic Monitor, and Parental Control.

Good luck (and now that I've inadvertently "bumped" your post you might get an answer from someone who really knows what they're talking about : -)

No god here, you got 3rd string at best.

And you are talking about a wired (and not a wireless) connection? What about the wires between the PC - router and the router - modem? CAT 5-E / CAT 6 (not CAT 5) and verified at gigabit speeds? (Yeah, that was a looong shot guess : -)

Have you poked at NAT Acceleration? Explicitly turning it on? Features that may be incompatible with NAT Acceleration include Port Forwarding, QoS, IP Traffic Monitor, and Parental Control.

Good luck (and now that I've inadvertently "bumped" your post you might get an answer from someone who really knows what they're talking about : -)
Lol I appreciate the help. I am running Cat5e and on wired. I've got wireless devices but no faith in gigabit over a wireless connection so I dont even care about that.
I havent tried NAT acceleration this is my first time hearing about it but I could give that a go. Beyond that, theres no modem, Verizon did away with the modem and runs connection from the network terminal they install on your wall, connect that to your router and then they're hands off. I've verified over 800mbps skipping my router and connecting directly into the terminal but that only let's me get one device connected.

I'm a former verizon employee with what should be the gigabit connection (940/880 though you almost never get that honestly) and so I knew from work experience to abandon their crappy Quantum gateway router.
I instead have a Asus RT-Ac1750_B1 for a small apartment and mostly wired connected devices however i'm being throttled to 90Mbps for both up and down and I cant figure out why.

I've narrowed it down to the router because a direct wan connection to the ONT from one of my desktops easily pushed me 860 Mbps up and down. Forums suggested turning off QoS because it regulates speed so that's done and it boosted me for like an hour to 300 and then dropped back down to 90 again. I dunno what my router is doing but I figured maybe I'd ask the internet gods for help.

Hehe - I'm ex-ATT...

(seems like there's a lot of ex-telco folks these days in the business - mergers and acquisitions never create more jobs - hint to folks that work at Sprint and T-Mobile, start updating resumes)

You should be getting better speeds than you're seeing...

First guess - the router on the WAN port is negotiating 100Mbit on the ethernet link between the ONT and the Router, so I would check the cable first...

Otherwise - look at QoS setting on the Router itself - might be a limiter there...

Beyond that, theres no modem, Verizon did away with the modem and runs connection from the network terminal they install on your wal
Oh yeah. I keep forgetting about you guys with 21st century equipment : -)
Otherwise - look at QoS setting on the Router itself - might be a limiter there...
Oh yeah, bandwidth limiters. Gr8 idea!

Hehe - I'm ex-ATT...

(seems like there's a lot of ex-telco folks these days in the business - mergers and acquisitions never create more jobs - hint to folks that work at Sprint and T-Mobile, start updating resumes)

You should be getting better speeds than you're seeing...

First guess - the router on the WAN port is negotiating 100Mbit on the ethernet link between the ONT and the Router, so I would check the cable first...

That's the thing, a thread i found somewhere wound up being the temporary fix where it suggested i turn off the Qos because that was actually what regulated bandwith per application. Turning that off had me getting about 200-300 mbps for about an hour and now its dropped again. Qos is is still off. I tried doing the 30/30/30 reset and even restored the router back to factory in case the NVRam was still storing poop in the settings somewhere but no dice.

connect your PC to router WAN with the same LAN-cable used to wall-plug and check connected speed is 1GB all the time.
Other test use a switch between router and wall-plug, maybe signals are too bad for router port running 1GB.

Intriguing. Maybe try setting the PC to gigabit rather than letting it negotiate?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!