What's new

Asus RT-AC1900P high ping issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azi

New Around Here
Hi,
I have RT-Ac1900 P with 3.0.0.4.380_7743-g2cf84e9 firmware (official) connected to my providers Modem. recently i been noticing my games are having higher than normal pings. (usually stick around 20 ms on nearby servers but now its at over 50)

For test i connected back to my provider modem to see may be it is the game/pc/ or anything else and i was able to get better ping response with my modem(20-30ms) . Connected back my router and ping goes back up by 20-30ms.
I have all the security protocols disabled in router such as FW, parental control, Qos etc. I even tried turning Qos to favour gaming but most i got out of that is 5 ms. I play online competitve gaming so latency is issue for me. can someone help me figure out why suddenly router is causing high latency in games. No other issues with router to note

P.s My providers modem is in Bridged mode when connected to router. Also i have this router for 3-4 months and it started happening from last week.

in the router are you getting your actual wan ip, because then you can be sure that its correctly in bridge mode, does your unit have adaptive qos by any chance?

Can you provide a tracert to one of the servers you are getting high latency to? If possible, a tracert when connected direct to the bridged gateway would help for comparsion. That would show if/how the bridging process is working. See this link for info on how to perform tracert and other diagnostics for Riot/LoL. See link here for Blizzard/HoTs/OW. If something else, reply and I can provide specific instructions.

I noticed latency can be high on asus routers when using adaptive qos, since they don't utilise fq_codel unlike netgear, I wish they would use it in the newer units or cake fq_codel, which is better than sfq that adaptive qos ueses.

QoS isn't important for gaming in general unless the network bandwidth is under strain and causing latency. I think many people turn it on and set their gaming PC to priority 1 and think that helps them in some way, when usually it can make things worse. I blame router manufacturer for over hyping the QoS feature in general, like car companies that make a big deal out of having a audio auxiliary port.

QoS isn't important for gaming in general unless the network bandwidth is under strain and causing latency. I think many people turn it on and set their gaming PC to priority 1 and think that helps them in some way, when usually it can make things worse. I blame router manufacturer for over hyping the QoS feature in general, like car companies that make a big deal out of having a audio auxiliary port.
it is if you run Netflix, and youtube, or you like me updating steam on the spare pc, I have a 100/40 vdsl2 connection, 95/37 real world speeds, it helps if it set properly to calculate for protocol over heads, I don't set it I just let adaptive qos do its magic I set gaming as to priority then voip so the my voip ata gets its need bandwidth, then again this is just my case every one is has a different situation.
in some cases qos throttling will help prevent buffer bloat, if you do some deep research into Cake-FQ_Codel it has amazing potential, its not an overhyped feature its better than not running qos if set up correctly.

Considering you are a very senior member on probably the most elite networking forum on the internet...I don't think you are the typical user. :) I would say anyone that even knows what QoS stands for is not the adverage user. That's the problem. QoS can and is used in many networks and can perform a important function. The problem comes when you have less than educated users trying to set up QoS because they think it will help their ISP peering congestion issue. In it's simplest terms, QoS is adding a bottleneck that you control so you can control where the bottleneck is. If there is no bottleneck to begin with, then you're just adding a bottleneck that isn't required. It would like adding a traffic light to an intersection that doesn't get any traffic.

I was reading that cake fq_codel can get amazingly low pings on an adsl connection this is during the devs tests.

I don't think OP has DSL by the way they said their modem was "bridged". Also, neither do I. Does it work the same with any connection from WAN? For example, I have FIOS and using ethernet from the ONT.

PS. Anyone know why the comment above was flagged for moderation? Is it because I used a emoticon?

I don't think OP has DSL by the way they said their modem was "bridged". Also, neither do I. Does it work the same with any connection from WAN? For example, I have FIOS and using ethernet from the ONT.
I saw your message about average users, I do agree with you point about setup, the bottle neck is always on the isp end, qos is more about sharing bandwidth if you have multiple devices more like a provisioning service. but I understand what you mean about bottlenecks, it does make sense.

Last edited:

PS. Anyone know why the comment above was flagged for moderation? Is it because I used a emoticon?
I have vdsl had adsl2, and I had a bridged set up modem to router, bridge mode involves setting the modem to modem only or a dummy modem mode, and all the router does is handle all the nat traffic. The only difference is that I changed form an adsl2 modem to a vdsl2 modem.

Just FYI, used to work for a cable broadband ISP, so don't need to explain bridge to me. I would usually insert a emoticon here to show that I say that with levity, but it seems smileys faces are not approved of here. The reason I mention is it is usually when someone has DSL and is having something else do the PPP, they say that directly rather then calling it bridged. I understand though that you can have a bridge between any two interfaces, IMO the term is just more common in the HFC circles.

Just FYI, used to work for a cable broadband ISP, so don't need to explain bridge to me. I would usually insert a emoticon here to show that I say that with levity, but it seems smileys faces are not approved of here. The reason I mention is it is usually when someone has DSL and is having something else do the PPP, they say that directly rather then calling it bridged. I understand though that you can have a bridge between any two interfaces, IMO the term is just more common in the HFC circles.
ahh k cool smiles:) are allowed, I always have to take in to account that some users might have no idea what it means, so its my generic response lol, but I understand what you mean, I'm used to dealing with a variety of knowledge levels i try my best to help. :p
Sorry if I seem rude, I'm sitting on multiple threads was having a discussion with someone about the merits of using adaptive qos, so my attention is divided.

I'm from Australia where out internet is horribly unreliable, @azi can you try mac cloning your modem, that means use the modems mac address in the mac clone field of the router, see if that helps.
ohhh also what games? if your running adaptive qos it might not be detected by qos correctly, there is a script that might help.

No apologies necessary. I just didn't want to come off as the new guy pretending I know everything. It would probably be prudent to make a introductory post before I assist much more. I usually do that when I join a new forum but I was bored and wanted to jump into some old fashion Tier 1 type stuff. I was poking around the wireless and Asus forums to see if I could find first hand user data of the Asus CM-32, because I am curious how they implemented the Intel CPU and why it took so long to be released. Have you seen any posts on the CM-32 or any of the Asus cable modem/gateways? I tried the forum search function but I don't think it likes the very short syntax. Google didn't bring up much either. Any idea which forum on this site would be the best to start looking?

Last edited:
No apologies necessary. I just didn't want to come off as the new guy pretending I know everything. It would probably be prudent to make a introductory post before I assist much more. I usually do that when I join a new forum but I was bored and wanted to jump into some old fashion Tier 1 type stuff. I was poking around the wireless and Asus forums to see if I could find first hand user data of the Asus CM-32, because I am curious how they implemented the Intel CPU and why it took so long to be released. Have you seen any posts on the CM-32 or any of the Asus cable modem/gateways? I tried the forum search function but I don't think it likes the very short syntax. Google didn't bring up much either. Any idea which forum on this site would be the best to start looking?
its ok I understand, and no I haven't ive been mostly busy with irl stuff being a relationship counselor lol, and device tweaking.

Ironic, part of the reason I got into computers is my lack of intercommunication social skills, specifically those verbal. Computers are easy. They don't lie, cheat, or try to hurt you..it just runs programs! #ShortCircuit1986

mabye i can help with the people side of computing;)