1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS RT-AC3100 Losing Connection, super frusterating

Discussion in 'ASUS AC / AX Routers & Adapters' started by Rob_PNW_EVO, Oct 9, 2018 at 2:08 AM.

1. Rob_PNW_EVO

Rob_PNW_EVO New Around Here

Hi guys new here

I just bought a new house and I got a new Xfinity router/modem, direct from them as well

Im turning most of my house into a google home, like the switches, alarm, thermostat, the works.

Originally, I had everything connected on the wifi to the Xfy router and every now and then it would not work and lose connection, so my friend who has the same setup (provider and appliances) as me suggested to get a AC3100, I was also getting some poor connection to our smart TVs downstairs, and figured a router would help.

Fast forward a few days, I got a refurb unit from Amazon, I hook it up, I turn ON bridge mode in my Xfy gateway and I use my new ASUS router as my wifi, updated all of my devices etc. I no longer see my Xfy SSIDs, and only my 2.4g and 5g ASUS ones

Paired all of my devices to the router's 2,4g connection, everything is working for about a day then everything lost connection as I went on my phone to change the thermostat and my NEST unit was disconnected, I check my google and leviton apps and everything is disconnected.

I check my wifi, and it is having issues connecting to both 5g and 2.4g, it would attempt to connect then just stop.

I go type in the IP to get in the ASUS gui and it is SLOW, google, facebook, other pages on my desktop load up fast and fine, but the ASUS GUI is just ridiculously slow. All the lights are on on the router, nothing red, just as before. I reboot and it works again.

Fast forward again to tonight, same crap is happening AGAIN. I go on the GUI and it's just slow
    As I am typing this, I am rebooting the ASUS router, and I am able to connect again on my phone, and all of my switches are working again.

Why is it doing this?? Im tempted to just go back to Modem/router from Xfy and dealing with the occasional hiccup, this is TWICE in a 24 hour period that I have had to reboot my router.

Testscript likes this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Rob_PNW_EVO

Since this, my router has dropped connection even to my LAN, twice.

Testscript likes this.
  4. ApexRon

ApexRon Regular Contributor

A refurbished item from Amazon is not the same as a refurbished from manufacturer. Amazon may check to see if the unit powers up and then perhaps a factory reset but that's probably about it. A manufacturer may do the same but if they certify "good as new" then they have done more testing or even replaced a defective component.

It sounds like the reason why someone returned to Amazon is they may have experienced the same problem. I would return to Amazon.

Since you have multiple levels to your home I would suggest choosing a pair of identical routers with mesh capability.

5. Rob_PNW_EVO

Well the 5g works, and the internet is working cause I am using the internet from the router right now

6. ApexRon

ApexRon Regular Contributor

If the plan is to only use the AC3100 WiFi, did you disable the Xfy WiFi?

You state that you paired all your devices to 2.4g which means that you have two SSID names. I would use a single SSID and let the devices choose whether to use 2.4g or 5g.

7. Testscript

Testscript Occasional Visitor

@Rob_PNW_EVO I think I had a problem similar to yours, every day the same thing happened to me and to solve it, I flash an old version and now I have a week without that problem.

ASUS deleted the old versions and the only solution is flash an old version of Asuswrt-Merlin. (you have factory reset and manually configure everything from scratch)

I'm using version 384.4_2 or v384.5:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC3100/Release/

In versions 384.6 and 384.7, that same problem happens to me.

My post:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    Rob_PNW_EVO likes this.
  8. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

saved some older major stock versions if needed:

upload_2018-10-9_17-2-10.png

9. Rob_PNW_EVO

I tried looking up the merlin firmware but I have the 3100 and under the listing 3100 wasnt compatible (not on list)

I am returning this unit and will be buying one from bestbuy right after work
    Ill add 2 light switches + my google home devices first, then add one or two a day afterwards.

Not going to add all of them and then have the wifi stop working again

10. Rob_PNW_EVO

I was told and recommended to use 2.4g for my smart switches cause 'it travels through walls better than 5g'.

I did disable the Xfy wifi, I put it into 'bridge mode/enabled bridge' on their gateway.

My 5g SSID works, 100% it works, I turned off my data for my phone and connected to 5g and it works.
    2.4g SSID doesnt even show up on my network list anymore

The light on the ASUS router for 2.4g stopped being lit up when all of this happened, and even in the GUI the 'channel' is zero, it was '1' prior, and now it is 'auto' but next to it, it says zero.
    5g, internet, wifi, power lights are all on

11. Testscript

Testscript Occasional Visitor

12. Rob_PNW_EVO

13. indark

indark Regular Contributor

I will just go do the typical power cycle + nvram clear with wps button
    and if it doesn't work, exchange with amazon if you have just got it recently and still can return.

power off the router for 30+ sec, hold wps button while booting up
    wait till power led start flashing, release the wps button and wait for it reboot.

and reconfigure everything from this point.
    if it still slow just exchange it

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!