What's new

Asus RT-AC3100 Problems... Seems to be Bricked!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GMD99

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT_AC3100 router which I am having problems with!

I recently tried upgrading to the Merlin RT-AC3100_384.3_0 firmware. It seemed to work at first but when I went back to the router it was no longer accessible!

So I put the router in recovery mode (blinking power LED) and and using the Asus recovery app I loaded the firmware from the Asus site, RT-AC3100_3.0.0.4_380_7743. After this process, I was able to log into the router once again but this time at 192.168.1.1.

I left my PC ethernet connection in the router, but reset the adapter to "Obtain an IP address automatically", then left the router sit for a while. When I came back, I could no longer access the GUI of the router and saw that my adapter had obtained the following address 169.254.100.252!!

My next step was a hard reset (WPS button held 30 seconds while powered on; then powered off for 30 seconds, and then back on for 30 seconds, then release WPS button). This seemed to work and I was able to get into the GUI and do an initial start up process with the router. As part of this set up I changed the address of the router from 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.2.1. After saving these changes I then had to change my adapter's address to 10.0.2.10 to be able to log in. Everything seemed to work fine and I could see the 2.4 and 5 wireless bands broadcasting on my iPhone. I then went to bed thinking..."Great, I'm back up and running... I'll fine tune the settings tomorrow morning"!

However this morning when I got up the router was no longer responding! I can no longer get into recovery mode and I cannot do a hard reset!! The LED's on the router have the Power, USB and WPS dimly lit! And the LAN 1~4 LED is on and brighter than the others (I have no Ethernet cables connected to the router!).

Any thoughts on where I go from here?

Interesting!! I have another ac3100 at my vacation home... I think I will take this router there the next time I go and try it with the other router's power supply. Unfortunately in the winter I don't go there often... but much easier than ordering one from China!!