What's new

ASUS RT-AC3100 reboots using front USB3 port with 1TB SSD drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robert Giuffre

Occasional Visitor
Hello all:

I have an ASUS RT-AC3100 with the latest Merlin firmware, 386.5_2 and having an issue with reboots.
The router is in AP mode.
I have a 1TB SSD attached to the USB 3.x port on the front of the unit using a USB3 to SATA adapter cable, and the whole drive is shared as SMBv1+SMBv2.

So 2 things:

1: The front USB port is in 3.x mode, but I only get ~60 MBs transfer rate from Windows 10 to the shared SSD drive attached to the router. The PC is connected via 1GBs ethernet CAT6 cable to port#1 on the router.

2: If I try to copy too much to the shared drive, the router reboots. I cannot give you an exact number, but it seems to reboot after I send about ~3GB to ~5GB of files to the shared drive/folder.
If I copy multiple files to the shared drive in smaller batches and pause 10-20 seconds in-between, it works fine.
If I try to send all the files at once, the router "freaks out" and reboots.

Other than those 2 issues, the router seems to work perfectly.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

RLG

You've discovered the limits of the CPU/RAM of the router (and the interaction with the USB3 to SATA adaptor cable).

You're also seeing that the router is not a NAS (that's how you're trying to use it though).

You may get lucky by setting a swap file on the attached drive and getting rid of the symptoms for this specific use you describe. But it won't fix anything (really).

I would suggest looking into buying a NAS instead of trying to troubleshoot/fix this issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!