What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zooiez123

Occasional Visitor
I have had this new router for 6 days now and thought I would post some initial impressions and issues I have found so far.

I bought from Fry's Electronics after being told it was the best router for my needs. 2100 sq ft 2-story house. I have it connected to Comcast 50 mb down.

Router updated to firmware 3.0.0.4.378_3883

I initially used the setup wizard, and let it setup the Smart Connect which puts all 3 signals on same name, router then adaptively determines which one to use and connect to. This works horribly out of the gate. Phones and TV were all constantly connecting, disconnecting back and forth, no consistent signal. I was hoping this would be good, but not.

I then went into each and names them xxxxx1, xxxxx2, xxxxx3. 1 being the 2.4 ghz, 2 being 5ghz N, 3 being 5ghz N/AC.

Only the 2.4 ghz 1 channel is stable, the #2 cuts in/out being 25 ft away in next room, not far at all, 3rd is not recognized at all by any devices, even UHD TV that supports it.

Traffic Analyzer is amazing and details out every device and app, very useful.

So, I paid $299 for parts of this that still do not work that should.

I hope a firmware update will get this working to the point of worth $299 and stable on all channels.

Pls let me know if you have any questions I can answer.

Zooiez123

When you want to be on the cutting edge, you have to expect some blood loss.

There are reasons why other manufacturers have taken a more conservative approach to exposing all Broadcom's "Smart Connect" features. Part of the reason is that 2.4 GHz radios don't support the mechanisms that current 5 GHz radios support for minimizing channel change time. 2.4 GHz radios take too long to change channel, let alone band and connections are dropped.

Newer 5 GHz radios should be able to change channel more quickly and not drop connection, if they support the proper mechanisms.

Bottom line, there are a lot of variables outside the router's control that affect smooth channel transition.

If you still want to experiment, try disabling 2.4 GHz band steering and leave it enabled for 5 GHz. Maybe things will settle down.

Holy carp! How did you manage to have it for SIX DAYS, already? It just seemingly became available for delivery, yesterday. You sure it's legit?
It's not even on their website: http://www.frys.com/search?cat=-69844&resultpage=0&pType=pDisplay&rows=25&fq=m10099998 ASUS

I think you got sold something else. Heh.... and only 1 post here. Spidey senses tingling....

Pic or it didn't happen! :D

Seriously, post a pic of this bad mofo. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and all dat.... :)

Last edited:
I have had this new router for 6 days now and thought I would post some initial impressions and issues I have found so far.

I bought from Fry's Electronics after being told it was the best router for my needs. 2100 sq ft 2-story house. I have it connected to Comcast 50 mb down.

Router updated to firmware 3.0.0.4.378_3883

I initially used the setup wizard, and let it setup the Smart Connect which puts all 3 signals on same name, router then adaptively determines which one to use and connect to. This works horribly out of the gate. Phones and TV were all constantly connecting, disconnecting back and forth, no consistent signal. I was hoping this would be good, but not.

I then went into each and names them xxxxx1, xxxxx2, xxxxx3. 1 being the 2.4 ghz, 2 being 5ghz N, 3 being 5ghz N/AC.

Only the 2.4 ghz 1 channel is stable, the #2 cuts in/out being 25 ft away in next room, not far at all, 3rd is not recognized at all by any devices, even UHD TV that supports it.

Traffic Analyzer is amazing and details out every device and app, very useful.

So, I paid $299 for parts of this that still do not work that should.

I hope a firmware update will get this working to the point of worth $299 and stable on all channels.

Pls let me know if you have any questions I can answer.

Zooiez123

My neighbor also bought this the same day it came available for sale at Frys (in Seattle) and I helped him set it up. He has not seen any of these issues but most of his devices are newer, excluding him Chromecast which uses 2.4 band. What channels did you select for each of the bands? On the N/AC if you select a band thats too high, older devices might not see it.

Wow, so FRY'S has the inside line over the other big boys, eh? Interdasting...

pics attached

Here are the pictures[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• router3.jpg
    router3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,280
  • router4.jpg
    router4.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 807
Smart Connect

and the Smart Connect is all or nothing. Once you enable it, it takes complete control over all 3 bands. You can't choose for it to just do 2 of them.

and yes, I am using lower channels and no change in the disconnects.

Last edited:
doesn't sound too promising.

Did you upgrade to 3.0.0.4.378_3883 through the admin page or did you download it somewhere?

Firmware version

When I first logged into the router it stated an update was available. I chose yes and it easily updated itself. On Asus website it is now at the most recent version.

You have one antenna touching another. Try arranging them in a more standard way.

and the Smart Connect is all or nothing. Once you enable it, it takes complete control over all 3 bands. You can't choose for it to just do 2 of them.

So, as long as one does NOT choose to use Smart Connect (I imagine it was a setup option) router should be good?

Had similar issues with the Netgear R8000 as far as the smart connect...back it went.

You returned it, got a new one (same model) didn't enable Smart Connect and it was all good?

Just posting so i can follow this thread.. Carry on. :)

I am in the market for a new router and wanted to be emailed with new posts here. ;)

THREAD TOOLS>Subscribe To This Thread>Instant Notification by Email

a0819l.jpg

:D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!