What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 wifi issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alescx

New Around Here
Has anybody else noticed a weird phenomena in regards to the wi-fi bands after upgrading the firmware to 382. I was running Merlin 380.69 on my AC3200, when I saw the update information for 3.0.0.4.382.19466 on Asus website and I decided to give it a shot. After the upgrade I noticed that whenever I clicked on Wireless -> Professional, the GUI would just disappear and I would have access only to the wifi settings under that tab, but no apply or any other button would be available. Moreover I could see only the 2.4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz-1 bands. The second 5 Ghz band was not available. I did a factory reset, I cleared the nvram, but nothing could make it work until I reverted to Merlin's 380.69. I tried recently the 380.69_2 and the alpha 384 for my router and while the GUI is working properly, the 5 Ghz-2 band is missing. All my clients hog the 5 Ghz-1 band.

To make thing worse, now whenever I reboot my rooter in goes into a few bootloops before it actually boots properly. Sometimes it continues the bootloops until I unplug it and plug it back in a few times. I am still on 380.69

Anybody else bumped into this one, or is my unit faulty?

alescx, This may seem like a silly question, but when you updated from Merlin to the Asus official build, did you happen to use the Asus recovery tool to install the Asus build? Anytime you switch from from one of the forks to the official Asus build, or back, or forward between any of them, using the recovery tool and following the wiki's instructions usually keeps you from having really strange issues like you have. This definitely is very weird behavior for the wireless bands and if you never had issues before installing the official build, reinstalling with the recovery tool should straighten it out.

Check the Merlin wiki, read the instructions until you're familiar with them, and be sure to download the Asus recovery tool before you attempt the reinstall. It's not difficult You'll lose all of the settings you had so will have to reset everything from scratch. You will be also be minus the advanced features of Merlin's fork. We're still running v380.68_4 and aren't anticipating changing FW until mesh settles down. Try reinstalling with the recovery tool and post back if you still can't get it going.

you cannot go back to any 380 FW once you flash 382/384 , you are now stuck with the NEW 382/384 FW

Good to know, too much work; glad I hadn't jumped in boiling water too soon. Thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!