1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus RT-AC3200 wireless download speed issue?

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by willyburz, Feb 19, 2020.

1. willyburz

willyburz Regular Contributor

I run a 400 and 20 meg line and hardwired I test fine. Wifi only hits 50 megs... My Asus RT-AC3200 is always updated, and I've even done a reset of the router, and it's still doing it. My wifi download speed only tests to about 50 megs, and nothing more?! I can't figure out what is going on, but it's been like this for awhile now. Please help.

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

What's a 10-second reset?

3. willyburz

Sorry, I meant I held the reset button down to reset the router, vs. rebooting.

4. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

How are you testing WiFi speed? Client? Speed test site? What is that client's connection link rate speed... a function of WiFi protocol and number of antennas/streams?

OE

5. willyburz

I'm running it on a Chromebook pixel 2x2, and also off my cell phone Pixel 4xl. Ookla through the website, and also through the ap. Server being pinged is 4 miles away. My xbox ones are hardwired, and test high average between 300-400 meg consistently.

6. OzarkEdge

So, your Chromebook is connecting 2 streams AC 5.0 GHz for a 866 Mbps link rate (2x433, half-duplex) and you are only seeing 50 Mbps download speeds... has it always been like this? I would confirm the link rate and consider WiFi interference, maybe... perhaps try different channels.

OE

7. willyburz

It's a clean 5.0 line, link rate is solid... I've been using wifi analyzer as well to check for any issues, nothing. I ran into this sporadically in the past, and a reboot would fix it, now it doesn't. SO I did a reset, and it still caps at around 50 megs. So odd, and the router in general is good from all settings I see.

8. L&LD

Are you reloading saved config files after resetting? That negates the reset. ;)

Also, after a reset, without any customization on your end, does it give normal speeds with a fixed Control Channel and Channel Width?

9. willyburz

No reloading any files... just putting my ssid and password in, turning on AI protection. Hard locking the channels away from interference, and manually setting the DNS.

10. willyburz

CRAZY turn...I'm guessing one of my kids wacked the cable coming from the wall to the router...I took a random gamble, and swapped out the cat 5, and Boom full speed! There were no kinks, or odd marks, so kind of odd. Cable swap did it. :)

L&LD likes this.
  11. L&LD

@willyburz, when in doubt, begin at the beginning. :)

Glad you found the issue and solved it 'true'. :)

12. willyburz

Cable looked clean and no kinks or anything... Said F it, and swapped it. Good to go. I'm happy now!

OzarkEdge and L&LD like this.
  13. OzarkEdge

My cat use to chew on 'em! I think he stopped doing that after he struck 120 volts.

OE

14. willyburz

Lmao

I'm back to happy in all seriousness. Testing 375-400 now. May be time to upgrade to the 1Gig Surfboard

15. OzarkEdge

In reviewing your posts to consider your modem upgrade, I'm wondering how the suspect cable affected your WiFi but not your wired clients. You might want to wait a bit on the modem upgrade to see how your cable swap fix prevails.

OE

Klueless likes this.
  16. willyburz

Because I run the router separate vs. the rest of the house being hardwired...I am not running the house hardlines out of this router.

L&LD likes this.
  17. OzarkEdge

Well then, that could explain that.

OE

L&LD likes this.