What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300 not going well on new Full Fibre Service

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EtheAv8r

Occasional Visitor
I have had an ASUS RT-AC5300 router since it was first launched, currently running Merlin 386.11. It was used for my BY Halo which gave us 74Mbps using a Draytek Vigor 160 modem. It has worked great.

I have now upgraded to County Broadband 600 Mbps full fibre service. I cannot use their supplied Router because it will not let me configure my own DNS, and this is important because I run 2 PiHole DNS on my internal LAN.

When they installed the new service last week I connected a PC to it with Ethernet and ran speed tests, and it was pretty much delivering 595 Mbps in both directions.

County Broadband today set their Router into Bridge Mode and I disconnected the RT-AC5300 from the Vigor 160 and plugged it into port 4 of County Broadband Router, their tech support made the change to Bridge Mode remotely, and we had successfully switched my LAN as was, to my new CB Full Fiber service. Great, but…..

Running a Speed Test with them, resulted in a greatly reduced performance at 218 Download and 319 Upload. From their end the tech said all was good and it should be full speed, so the RT-AC5300 was creating the slow-down.

Turning off QOS on the RT-AC5300 brought increased speeds of 307 Download and 414 Upload, but still well short of the 600 Mbps target. All these speed test run from a fast PC with Ethernet connection.

So I ran a speed test from the ASUS Management console within the QOS settings page and it gives me 537 Mbps Download and 426 Mbps Upload, much better but still not the full monty, and why the degradation from Internal Router to Lan PC speeds? When running the speed tests, CPU1 is at 100% and CPU is at 13% in the RT-AC5300.

The WAN port is supposed to be 1 Gig, so what config changes do I need to make to get it running at full whack?

Or is it time to retire the aged RT-AC5300 and buy a new Router? And if so what are the best candidates, that will be great now, and be somewhat future proof, like maybe RT-AX88U Pro?

Any help or advice that you can give to this Old Man would be appreciated.

I have had an ASUS RT-AC5300 router since it was first launched, currently running Merlin 386.11. It was used for my BY Halo which gave us 74Mbps using a Draytek Vigor 160 modem. It has worked great.

I have now upgraded to County Broadband 600 Mbps full fibre service. I cannot use their supplied Router because it will not let me configure my own DNS, and this is important because I run 2 PiHole DNS on my internal LAN.

When they installed the new service last week I connected a PC to it with Ethernet and ran speed tests, and it was pretty much delivering 595 Mbps in both directions.

County Broadband today set their Router into Bridge Mode and I disconnected the RT-AC5300 from the Vigor 160 and plugged it into port 4 of County Broadband Router, their tech support made the change to Bridge Mode remotely, and we had successfully switched my LAN as was, to my new CB Full Fiber service. Great, but…..

Running a Speed Test with them, resulted in a greatly reduced performance at 218 Download and 319 Upload. From their end the tech said all was good and it should be full speed, so the RT-AC5300 was creating the slow-down.

Turning off QOS on the RT-AC5300 brought increased speeds of 307 Download and 414 Upload, but still well short of the 600 Mbps target. All these speed test run from a fast PC with Ethernet connection.

So I ran a speed test from the ASUS Management console within the QOS settings page and it gives me 537 Mbps Download and 426 Mbps Upload, much better but still not the full monty, and why the degradation from Internal Router to Lan PC speeds? When running the speed tests, CPU1 is at 100% and CPU is at 13% in the RT-AC5300.

The WAN port is supposed to be 1 Gig, so what config changes do I need to make to get it running at full whack?

Or is it time to retire the aged RT-AC5300 and buy a new Router? And if so what are the best candidates, that will be great now, and be somewhat future proof, like maybe RT-AX88U Pro?

Any help or advice that you can give to this Old Man would be appreciated.

Me, I'd want to Hard Reset the router to current/latest firmware defaults and speedtest with a wired PC. Then if no joy, retire the EOL RT-AC5300 for a new WiFi6 router.

Did you speedtest with the PC wired to the bridged ISP box?

OE

Last edited:
RT-AC5300 can still do it, but in lighter configuration with no TrendMicro components, no QoS and with NAT acceleration enabled. The radios can do about 500Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream client - pretty close to the line speed. A new router is better, but no rush. RT-AX88U Pro is a good choice.

OK thanks. I have tried a Hard Reset, it has not helped. As the RT-AC5300 has now been put on the ASUS EOL list, si I guess it is time to renew to a more modern ASUS product.

RT-AC5300 can still do it, but in lighter configuration with no TrendMicro components, no QoS and with NAT acceleration enabled. The radios can do about 500Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream client - pretty close to the line speed. A new router is better, but no rush. RT-AX88U Pro is a good choice.
Where is NAT acceleration for an RT-AX88U Pro router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!