ASUS RT-AC5300 Won't Update

freddyjuarez

New Around Here
here's is my problem my router firmware is MERLIN and i already downloaded the latest Merlin firmware for my router but when i try to install it I get an error something cant install because it's not a official Asus firmware i never ever had a problem updating the firmware

Did Asus make the routers so Merlin can't be installed

I chatted with a Asus technician and he told me to just use the latest Official Asus 5300 firmware 300438646065

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
What firmware version do you currently have installed as shown at the top of the GUI interface?

What is the exact filename of the firmware file you are trying to install?

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Right now it has version 386.3_2
New version is 386.4_0
It should work. There have been a few reports of people having difficulty installing 386.4 but they usually succeed after rebooting the router and trying again. Some have resorted to flashing back to stock firmware and then flashing Merlin.

I'm assuming that you've extracted the file from the zip before trying to install it.

freddyjuarez

New Around Here
It should work. There have been a few reports of people having difficulty installing 386.4 but they usually succeed after rebooting the router and trying again. Some have resorted to flashing back to stock firmware and then flashing Merlin.

I'm assuming that you've extracted the file from the zip before trying to install it.
I know what to do cause I've updated many times but like i said now it's giving me that error I'll try rebooting i hope that works i don't want to reflash to stock

laracroftonline

Regular Contributor
I know what to do cause I've updated many times but like i said now it's giving me that error I'll try rebooting i hope that works i don't want to reflash to stock
try putting the router in emergency mode and flash with cfe miniwebserver.

John Fitzgerald

try putting the router in emergency mode and flash with cfe miniwebserver.

OR save your settings, do a factory default reset, then flash new firmware and do another factory default reset and then
TADA, reapply your saved settings.