What's new

ASUS RT-AC56U Firmware update completes but version doesn't change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jules146

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-AC56U which is currently on Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374_4561 and I am trying to upgrade it to the final firmware revision released by ASUS (382_51641) which I have successfully downloaded to my PC.

I have tried a number of methods to complete the upgrade:

1. Automatic firmware download from server (I note router is in AP mode)

Fails with can't connect to ASUS server

2. Firmware Upgrade Page in normal settings, choose file from local hard drive, hit upload.

Updating progress bar appears, counts up to 100% then returns to main settings page. Firmware version unchanged.

3. Put device into rescue mode and use Firmware Restoration tool:

Fails to connect to the device

4. Reset router to factory settings, enter rescue mode (flashing power light), connect to PC and go to Mini CPE page. Select local file and hit upload.

Update happens invisibly, eventually comes back saying update was successful, restarting, goes back to CPE page

If I then reboot router (still with factory defaults) and reconnect, firmware version is unchanged.

Does anyone have any insight into what is happening here? Even though the router is relegated to being used as an AP now (I have a DSL-68U and an RT-86U).

Thanks

Jules

I have an ASUS RT-AC56U which is currently on Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374_4561 and I am trying to upgrade it to the final firmware revision released by ASUS (382_51641) which I have successfully downloaded to my PC.

I have tried a number of methods to complete the upgrade:

1. Automatic firmware download from server (I note router is in AP mode)

Fails with can't connect to ASUS server

2. Firmware Upgrade Page in normal settings, choose file from local hard drive, hit upload.

Updating progress bar appears, counts up to 100% then returns to main settings page. Firmware version unchanged.

3. Put device into rescue mode and use Firmware Restoration tool:

Fails to connect to the device

4. Reset router to factory settings, enter rescue mode (flashing power light), connect to PC and go to Mini CPE page. Select local file and hit upload.

Update happens invisibly, eventually comes back saying update was successful, restarting, goes back to CPE page

If I then reboot router (still with factory defaults) and reconnect, firmware version is unchanged.

Does anyone have any insight into what is happening here? Even though the router is relegated to being used as an AP now (I have a DSL-68U and an RT-86U).

Thanks

Jules

Did you confirm the firmware file MD5 code? And download from Asus again?

OE

@jules146 welcome to the forums.

Asus Rescue Mode

Using the above link will get your router to the firmware you want (every time). :)

@jules146 welcome to the forums.

Asus Rescue Mode

Using the above link will get your router to the firmware you want (every time). :)
I did try rescue mode, the simple web interface seemed to work but version didn’t change. The firmware restoration utility couldn’t find my router, despite my being able to access the rescue mode web interface.

For the Rescue Mode,

Did you unplug everything including all Ethernet cables from the router, pull the power cable from the router and leave the AC adaptor plugged into the wall, wait a minute or two, then, holding down the Reset button, plug in the power and holding the Reset button for 10 seconds more (then letting it go)?

Did you set a manual IP on the computer you were using to plug into a LAN port, first? Then plug in the Ethernet cable to a LAN port on the router when the power LED is slowly flashing?

Did you have the new firmware ready to upload before you did all the above?

Keep doing the first part until you get it into rescue mode, proper. Then the firmware can take up to an hour to fully flash.

Do not unplug, reset, or otherwise disturb the router during that portion.

For the Rescue Mode,

Did you unplug everything including all Ethernet cables from the router, pull the power cable from the router and leave the AC adaptor plugged into the wall, wait a minute or two, then, holding down the Reset button, plug in the power and holding the Reset button for 10 seconds more (then letting it go)?

Did you set a manual IP on the computer you were using to plug into a LAN port, first? Then plug in the Ethernet cable to a LAN port on the router when the power LED is slowly flashing?

Did you have the new firmware ready to upload before you did all the above?

Keep doing the first part until you get it into rescue mode, proper. Then the firmware can take up to an hour to fully flash.

Do not unplug, reset, or otherwise disturb the router during that portion.
Thanks for the suggestions. On Rescue Mode, I definitely got my router into rescue mode successfully (power light flashing) and was able to connect to it (ping and http).

The RT-AC56U has a rescue mode mini-web interface through which you can reset the NVRAM and upload firmware. I used this and it appeared to complete the update and then said it had been successful.

That I was able to use this appears to confirm that I had the router in RM with ip of 192.168.1.1 and my PC set to 192.168.1.5. As I was able to use the web interface to upload firmware I hadn't been too concerned about firmware restoration tool not finding the router.

As an aside I discovered that if you're going to use rescue mode it's important to reset to factory settings first, in particular ensuring default ip address is 192.168.1.1, mine was set to 200 and it came up in RM with an ip of 200 which threw me for a bit.

I finally found a solution. The problem appears to be that the firmware version I was upgrading from was too old compared to the latest one. This thread pointed me in the right direction:

And SOFTPEDIA had an intermediate version of the firmware available so I could upgrade via intermediate versions.

Followed the idea of using an intermediate firmware build, after trying over time all the other usual paths without success. This idea worked. I give my steps here, eventually to save time for others with the same difficulty.

My start point was f/ware 30004_374_134
I needed two intermediate steps (manual updates within the administration menu) : 3004_374_501 and then 3004_376_3754
I then used the inbuilt version check within the administration menu to update to final version 3004_382_51641.

A reboot was necessary after each step except the last one (remember to save your config).
For the manual updates, I disconnected the modem, just leaving an ethernet cable to the pc.

All the old f/ware versions are on softpedia : https://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/ASUS RT-AC56U Firmware

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @Little Jim.

Thank you for sharing!

Note that you can edit your posts (look closely under the 'Report' link area).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!