What's new

Asus rt ac56u, Merlin Firmware and wifi virtual hosted network problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pattox

Regular Contributor
Some 3 years ago I installed Connectify (to create a wifi hotspot on my Win 7 laptop to share internet access) and used it without problems for a while. I then didn't use it for some years.

Last month I started to use the program again but found it no longer worked properly. Essentially, devices would connect to the hotspot and, briefly (for between 10 and say 40 seconds) would have internet access then access would drop out. The connectify logs showed that some fype

In the interim I had upgraded to Win 10 and blamed this for the problems. Disabled my anti virus, windows defender and firewall. reinstalled drivers etc but the problem remained. Reinstalled my Win 7 image (which had worked in the past) but the problem remained. Tried using a fresh Win 10 image - problem remained.

Finally I realised that in the intervening period I had replace my wireless router with the Asus Merlin one and wondered whether that was causing the problem. So I temporarily replaced the Asus with another wif router and problem disappeared. I could then connect to the internet, and the connection was stable and durable.

So I can only conclude that the problem is caused by Asus, but I don't what the underlying reason is, or what is a fix for this.

Btw the problem occurs with every virtual hosted network program (including the native microsoft one) I have tried, not just connectify.

Any help would be appreciated.

Router details
Model
RT-AC56U
Firmware Version 380.69
Firmware Build Mon Dec 11 23:14:26 UTC 2017 merlin@7f8f03a
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.2.7
Driver version wl0: Jun 15 2017 12:31:37 version 6.37.14.126 (r561982)