What's new

ASUS RT-AC56U Wake On Lan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

makksi

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I would like to use the RT-AC56u just as a small linux machine using the entware environment.
But I would like also to switch on and off this machine during the day. While it coul be quite simple to switch off the router at a certain time, I guess it is not simple to switch it on.
One possibility could be to Wake it using the wake on lan feature.
Now my question is:
Does thie router have a Wol features, I mean can be it awakened by a WOL packent on my LAN?

Otherwise do you have other ideas to schedule the switching on and off of this router?

Do you also have an idea of power consumption if I switch off the wifi?

Thanks a lot

While it coul be quite simple to switch off the router at a certain time, I guess it is not simple to switch it on.
One possibility could be to Wake it using the wake on lan feature.
Unlike a PC, the router doesn't have a shutdown-and-power-off option. It's designed to run continuously. AFAIK the router doesn't respond to WOL commands.

Thank. For the shutdown it should be simple using the cron service and the shutdown command. While for the powerup if none of the wifi ports stay powered there is non possibility to wake it up by a wol packet.

Thank. For the shutdown it should be simple using the cron service and the shutdown command. While for the powerup if none of the wifi ports stay powered there is non possibility to wake it up by a wol packet.

Any chance to enter at least in a low power state?

For the shutdown it should be simple using the cron service and the shutdown command.
There is no shutdown command. There is no "power off" function. There is only the halt command but that doesn't turn off the router.

Any chance to enter at least in a low power state?
No. It's an embedded device designed to run continuously. It's not like a server or PC.

If you want a small device that behaves like a server I would recommend a Raspberry Pi.

Yes you are right, no shutdown command. Just a reboot and halt command.
What does the halt command do?
Yes I know Raspberry PI, but I would like to switch to a fritzbox 2490 as router, but still like to use the asuswrt rt-ac56u I own as a linux machine to run rclone to sync my NAS to Amazon cloud.

What does the halt command do?
halt just synchronizes all the filesystems and terminates all the processes. So the router isn't running any code. But there's still power going through all the electronics.