What's new

ASUS RT-AC56U - wifi on phone working only via VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pistachio

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am experiencing a weird issue which I can't troubleshoot. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

My setup: I have a Netgar DGN2200v4 which I previously used as modem & router. Now it's set as modem only (connected to a 20/1 ADSL) and I've attached to it an ASUS RT-AC56U.

All wifi devices on the network work fine, both on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Speed tests are consistent at 15/0.7 around the house. Channels are free and inSSIDer looks good. However, my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) appears to connect with good speed to both networks, but the connection is erratic. Speed test results are bizzarre (15/3, which is absurd as the max UL speed is 1 Mbps). Download is slow with web pages loading only partially, and upload works only in some cases (Wetransfer works; but I can't upload a picture on a webform or Whatsapp). Here's the kicker: the instant I connect the phone to a VPN service via OpenVPN, all connection issues disappear. Downloads are speedy and uploads work fine. Of course, when the ASUS was not yet in the network and so the phone was connected to the Netgear WiFi (just a few hours ago) it had no problems.

Initially I imagined it was an issue with a faulty router, so I returned it and got a replacement from Amazon. The behavior is exactly the same. So it must be something in my setup.

I'm stumped. what could possibly be causing this behavior?

Netgar DGN2200v4 which I previously used as modem & router. Now it's set as modem only

so you have it running in full bridge mode ? with the
ASUS RT-AC56U

running in pppoe mode as its connection method behind the bridged modem ?

Initially I imagined it was an issue with a faulty router, so I returned it and got a replacement from Amazon. The behavior is exactly the same. So it must be something in my setup.

so there is a compatibility and or configuration issue between the phone and the router and its likley going to be the phone thats the issue as all your other devices work as they should

in general phones have crud wifi including the s4

have a look through

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=galaxy+s4+wifi+issues

seems there is a fix for the s4 wifi buggyness

pete

Sorry for the delay, I waited for a bit of testing of the current setup before reporting back.

Yes, the DGN2200v4 was running in full bridge mode, with the RT-AC56U running in PPPoE mode. However, I had a nagging doubt that the DGN was still retaining some routing configurations, no matter that I'd reset it and switched off NAT, DHCP and WiFi before activating the modem only mode.

So I bought the cheapest ADSL2+ modem I could find (a D-Link DSL-320B). Knocking on wood, so far the phone is back to connecting without issues to the WiFi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!