What's new

ASUS RT-AC66 does not prompt for credentials when managing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoneWolf

I'm having an oddity with my ASUS RT-AC66R. When I first configured it, it did not want to save the admin password properly, and told me I had the wrong password several times until I finally confirmed it correct.

Now, I'm having an issue where going to the IP of the router for management within my browser, I'm let in without being prompted for admin credentials at all from my laptop over wireless. Even if I click "Logout" to force a signout of the router, if I go back to the IP, I get in automatically. I just tried resetting the admin password, saving, and then doing a full reboot of the router --the same thing happens.

I'm a bit concerned about this from a security perspective. Does anyone have any thoughts, or have you had a similar experience?

Last edited:
One other note: I can stay logged into the router on my system without it ever timing out and asking for my credentials again. This also concerns me.

I am running ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.266. The only custom change I have made is to use telnet to modify the router settings to support UPnP for ports below 1024.

Last edited:
Yes, I have noticed the same.
Doesn't hapen all the time but 99% of the time I get in without login details.
I'm on Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.264.22 (Merlin build).

Your web browser is automatically submitting your login credentials. If you close your browser and re-open it, the router should ask you again for your login creds.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!