What's new

Asus RT-AC66R & Motorola SB6141 Combo - Amber light

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scarzy

Occasional Visitor
Looking for any guidance on this issue since I have literally spent hours and hours trying to identify the problem and surfing the web looking for answers. I own a Motorola SB6141 modem and have Comcast Blast internet (50MB down/10MB up). I have been using a RT-N66R router until recently. When the RT-N66R is connected to the Modem, I receive a blue blinking ethernet light. When I replace the router with the newly purchased RT-AC66R (Firmware:374.41_beta1 Merlin build), I receive an amber blinking ethernet light.

When I check the Tools section of the firmware, the WAN port is listed as 100 Full Duplex for the RT-AC66R. When I check the Tools section of the firmware, the WAN port is listed as 1000 Full Duplex for the RT-N66R.

Per the Modem manual, the ethernet light blinks means: Transmitting or receiving data on Ethernet port.

Amber: A device, PC, or hub is connected to the Ethernet (10Base-T) or Fast Ethernet (100Base-T) port.

Blue: High-speed Gigabit Ethernet (1000Base-T) connection from the SB6141 to your PC.

I am currently using a Cat 5E ethernet cable to connect the modem and router. I checked all the settings between the two routers and the settings are identical. Both are set up in "Wireless Router Mode". I tried a few different ethernet cables with no success. I finally broke down and ordered a Cat 6 ethernet cable from Monoprice hoping that might help. Any other ideas??? Are there any router settings that would affect this that I am missing? Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Last edited:
there should be a reset button on the back of your modem, hold it in a reset the modem. Once it reboots plug in your ac66

Thanks for the tip but no success. I even unplugged all the cables on the cable modem for 15 minutes and reset without success. Still getting the amber light on the SB6141 when plugged into the RT-AC66R. I wonder if the WAN port could be defective on the RT-AC66R? Will try the Cat 6 cable when it arrives this Wed and hope for the best. Any other ideas? Very strange!

Try resetting the modem from the modems configuration page:192.168.100.1

No luck unfortunately but I appreciate the help. It's strange because I have tried setting the RT-AC66R and the RT-N66R next to each other and trade off plugging the ethernet from the modem into each router in succession. Each time the SB6141 when plugged into the RT-N66R is blue (1000 Full Duplex) and when plugged into the RT-AC66R, the SB6141 is amber (100 Full Duplex). I did this 5 times within a two minute period and every time with the N, the modem was blue and with the AC, the modem was amber. So strange!!!

What overall goal are you trying to achieve?

I have the same routers. The RT-N66u is connected to the modem and I'm piggy backing from the RT-N66u to the RT-AC66u so I've never experienced that or felt the need to run the RT-AC66u first.
I believe I even have the same modem,using firmware 374.40:cool:

I take it you tried the stock firmware first.

I first tried the ASUS stock firmware and received the amber light with the RT-AC66R. I have another RT-AC66R coming this week along with a couple CAT 6 cables so will try to switch them out and see what I discover. Odd indeed!!!

It seems the ethernet cable was the issue. I replaced with a Cat 6 and got the blue light (1000 Full Duplex) from the modem immediately. Thanks for all the guidance everyone!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!