What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10007

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.10007
Security fixed
- Fixed XSS vulnerability. Thanks for Joaquim's contribution.
- Fixed LAN RCE vulnerability. An independent security researcher has reported this vulnerability to Beyond Security’s SecuriTeam Secure Disclosure program
- Fixed remote code execution vulnerability. Thanks to David Maciejak of Fortinet's FortiGuard Labs

Bug fixed
- Fixed NAT throughput drop issue.
- Fixed network map abnormal responsed time issues
- Fixed client list issues.
- Fixed AiCloud smart sync issue.

This version is working well! Was surprised to see mesh is now included. I had tested Merlin 382-2 beta 1&2 but went back to the Asus 382 version last night as I feel it works slightly better for me.

This version is working well! Was surprised to see mesh is now included. I had tested Merlin 382-2 beta 1&2 but went back to the Asus 382 version last night as I feel it works slightly better for me.
When you went back to the Asus version, did you reset to default or just an upgrade over the beta 2? Thanks.

When you went back to the Asus version, did you reset to default or just an upgrade over the beta 2? Thanks.
I did an "Initialize" which wipes the jffs as well as the NVRAM.

I have 2 RT-AC66u-B1 routers, and seeing the AiMesh added I got excited. But, I can't get it to work! I've followed the directions from https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/
And the Router never sees the Node.

Here it does not list the AC66u B1 as being supported https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/
But it lists the AC68U as supported.

I've even tried the AC68U firmware on the AC66U B1, but then looking closer the firmware for both of these routers is the exact same file!

boog@Linux ~ $ md5sum '/home/boog/Downloads/FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438410007.trx' 8f5b0ff72404c3796bbe421c3ccaa871 /home/boog/Downloads/FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438410007.trx
boog@Linux ~ $ md5sum '/home/boog/Downloads/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_10007-g8e859e9.trx' 8f5b0ff72404c3796bbe421c3ccaa871 /home/boog/Downloads/RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_10007-g8e859e9.trx

Both have an md5 of 8f5b0ff72404c3796bbe421c3ccaa871

So, if the 68U and the 66U B1 are the same hardware, and the same exact firmware, how is it not supported? This is a bit frustrating.

I've got a call into Asus, and they are going to escalate it, but personally I think they disabled it for the AC66U B1 to be a mesh router.

The 384 AiMesh firmware is still on the Asus support site. Make sure your AC66U B1 has a front USB port! If not it is an older AC66U and is not supported with AiMesh. If you are sure your router is the B1 model, not hardware version, the new firmware will work. Factory reset with no USB devices and do an initialize to clean out jffs. Then upgrade to the 384 version. Oh, if it is correct on a 380 or 382 version it will prompt you to upgrade.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Interesting thread as I experiencing the same with my AC86U not being able to see my AC66U B1 despite the firmware update. The node cannot be found. Attempting to place the 66U into AiMesh Node mode resets it into Wireless Router mode, so it’s back to a wired AP until a future update or someone sorts it out.

Same here. My RT-AC88U can't see RT-AC66U_B1, after several resets of B1, waste of time still can't add it as Aimesh node. Will be fixed in next firmware i read here on snb.
Normal procedure for adding AiMesh I guess is without resetting the node.

Same here. My RT-AC88U can't see RT-AC66U_B1, after several resets of B1, waste of time still can't add it as Aimesh node. Will be fixed in next firmware i read here on snb.

I sure hope it's fixed on the next version. It's a really cool, unexpected feature.

Just had to ask if you set the second router to AiMesh node?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Hmm, this is slightly concerning. I just bought an AC66U_B1 which was delivered today on the basis that I can use it as an AiMesh AP when I decide whether it's worth spending the extra £110 on an AC86U to act as my main router or just get a second AC66U_B1 and mesh those. Being new to Asus Routers I don't have a feel of how quickly Asus generally release firmware updates, are we talking an update likely within days, a few weeks or not for several months?

Sometimes fast, sometimes slow. While I'm not employee of ASUS, I can imagine that since this firmware is relatively new and there are likely some impactful bugs that need to be addressed, we may see builds more quickly at first.

In general, Asus tend to have nearly monthly releases for current models if there's anything important, a bit less frequent (maybe every three months) otberwise.

There's no guarantee that they have any fixed schedule, this is just my observation of the past few years.

Given the underlying identical hardware and identical firmware filehash, it seems very odd that AiMesh would work on the AC68U but not the 66_B1, any thoughts how that could happen?

any thoughts how that could happen?

It's possible that Asus might be checking the actual product model to determine eligibility.

Hmm yeh I was thinking along the same lines and something I'm a bit concerned about. If they intentionally don't intend the 66_B1 to get AiMesh though surely they'd have just kept it on the earlier firmware and not lifted it to 384, because at the moment they're presumably creating headaches for their support department showing 66_B1 customers all the shiny new toys but it not working! Hopefuly it's something simple like the model was accidentally left off a lookup table in the firmware that AiMesh uses to identify compatible hardware meaning other devices can't find it.

Can't log in sometimes in router, must restart the unit. Give offline page.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!