What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U B1 vs B2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PacketLoss

New Around Here
Hey gang... long time lurker, first time poster.

tl;dr - Anybody know the difference between the B1 and B2 revisions of the RT-AC66U?

long version:

Currently running the AC56U with the last Merlin firmware that will be released for it... The thing has been rock steady for years and really don't have any pressing reason to replace it beyond the firmware sunset. Pretty much all of my high traffic / streaming devices are wired, so the wifi doesn't really do a ton beyond occasional cell phone / tablet stuff. Pretty much 100% of my console / PC gaming and 75% of all my 1k/4k video streaming is over CAT6.

That said, I am also in the market for a router at my vacation property. Currently the local Microcenter offers the RT-AC66U B1 for $100 but it has a two pack of the RT-AC66U B2 for $160. If the B2 version is supported by Merlin and doesn't have any major gotchas compared to the B1, then I might get the two pack. I can use one at home and one at the vacation place and throw the AC56U into the closet for emergency standby.

For the vacation home, the router needs to offer coverage to a steel sided out building that is maybe 50-75ft away from where the router will sit inside the main house. I wouldn't expect this to be an issue for even $50 N router cheapies... but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for reading and for any advice / information you may be able to provide.

I presume you're referring to this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/512820/asus-rt-ac66-b2-ac1750-whole-home-wifi-system---2-pack

AFAIK there's no such thing as a "B2" model. In fact all of the details apart from the title says it's the B1 model. It looks like Micro Center invented the "B2" name as marketing-speak for 2xB1.

This is not to be confused with the A1, B1, B2, etc. hardware revisions discussed in that linked thread.

EDIT: Searching on the UPC shows no other sellers calling it the B2, only a B1 twin pack.

Just went and picked up the 2-pack at lunch from the local Microcenter... and the Asus UPC tag on the box makes things even more confusing:

Model: RT-AC66U B1
H/W Ver: B2
F/W Ver: 3.0.0.4.384_32738

So they are the B1 model with the B2 hardware version? I don't have any knowledge on how Asus versions / revises these things... but that strikes me as a tad convoluted.

EDIT: re-read the original thread and now I see that yes, it really is that convoluted... with model numbers and H/W versions being separate things that share similar versioning nomenclature.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I apologize for my lackluster research before posting the initial question... but now that I think about it, that probably would have just confused me even more.

For the vacation home, the router needs to offer coverage to a steel sided out building that is maybe 50-75ft away from where the router will sit inside the main house. I wouldn't expect this to be an issue for even $50 N router cheapies... but just thought I'd throw it out there.
I'd be curious as to how you make out with this side of the equation.

WiFi penetrating an outside wall with wood, insulation, etc. and then have to fight a metal wall? I'll bet a six pack that 5 GHz won't work and a beer that even 2.4 GHz won't work. (I do hope I'm wrong : -)

You'd have a far better chance if you can go window-to-window line of sight.