What's new

Asus RT-AC66U configuration as VPN router behind another router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shgr

New Around Here
Hi,

I am trying to set an Asus RT-AC66U as a VPN router behind the modem/router provided by my ISP (the HomeHub5 (HH5) from BT in the UK). Apologies for asking this question which I believe has been discussed a few times; I have spent a good amount of time searching for a detailed answer with no success so far.

I have followed the steps here: http://www.snbforums.com/forums/vpn.12/ but I might be missing something, which is entirely possible as I am definitely *not* an expert.

I have never managed to get an Internet connection in the Asus. I am changing both WAN and LAN in the Asus, assigning static IP to the Asus from the HH5 and trying to connect the Asus using static IP.

What would be most helpful is a detailed step-by-step guide of what I need to do please.

Thank you very much in advance, kind regards,
Santiago

Last edited:
Sorry, some info on what is available on the HH5. (I cannot really assign a higher IP to the ASUS than the primary as you can see in the picture (primary gets the highest IP), not sure whether this matters)

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 22.24.15.png

So managed to get this to work. Here are my steps in case they help someone else.

1) In the HH5: I assigned 192.168.1.64 to the Asus (the range goes from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253. The HH5 uses 192.168.1.254)

2) In the Asus:

2a) WAN: settings as per below:
Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 10.12.05.png

2b) LAN: settings as per below:
Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 10.16.52.png

3) In the Asus: VPN tab, VPN client and add server with username and password from your VPN account

(I did not have to disable DHCP in the Asus as some have suggested elsewhere (not in SNB!), not sure the VPN is available without that anyway)

Hope this helps

Question if I may please: There seems to be a good priced offer from Vodafone in the UK which uses the same fibre network as BT. Any thoughts on whether if this worked with BT in the same network, it will work with Vodafone? I guess not necessarily, but just in case someone has experience with this.

Thoughts on whether the monthly saving with Vodafone compensates for the risk of them just starting their broadband business...

Hopefully someone can comment, feel a bit lonely so far :)

Question if I may please: There seems to be a good priced offer from Vodafone in the UK which uses the same fibre network as BT. Any thoughts on whether if this worked with BT in the same network, it will work with Vodafone? I guess not necessarily, but just in case someone has experience with this.

Thoughts on whether the monthly saving with Vodafone compensates for the risk of them just starting their broadband business...

Hopefully someone can comment, feel a bit lonely so far :)
Are you using a fiber connection?
if you are then you are setting it up all wrong.
What you need to do is go to LAN/IPTV/Internet of your asus router and go to manual settings and you need to find out which port your ISP uses for the VLAN or Internet and enter that port number there.
Then you need to setup their modem into bridge mode. You need to talk to technical support, hopefully they can give you that information.
Afterwards you can setup a VPN client from your router.
not sure if this is the problem you are referring too.

Basically from what I explained above once you setup the IPTV
your router will now control the internet.
So you can use all the features of your router and using their Router as a modem.

Thank you very much first of all.

It is fiber to the cabinet but then copper to my home, so the modem is VDSL. I am switching to a different provider that requires their router (no option to use a different one). Do not need anything else, so happy like this.

I only want this VPN router, well, for the VPN. It is working with the setup I described. That way I have a wi-fi from the VPN "router" (it is not really working as a router) which has the VPN, and the main wifi from the ISP which has no VPN and no loss of speed.

Main concern I have is that this was painful (for me) to figure out with the incumbent (BT), now I am thinking about switching to Vodafone which uses the BT network (called Openreach), so it should work but want to make sure it does. It seems it should based on my discussion today with them, otherwise they will refund me so all good.

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Thank you very much first of all.

It is fiber to the cabinet but then copper to my home, so the modem is VDSL. I am switching to a different provider that requires their router (no option to use a different one). Do not need anything else, so happy like this.

I only want this VPN router, well, for the VPN. It is working with the setup I described. That way I have a wi-fi from the VPN "router" (it is not really working as a router) which has the VPN, and the main wifi from the ISP which has no VPN and no loss of speed.

Main concern I have is that this was painful (for me) to figure out with the incumbent (BT), now I am thinking about switching to Vodafone which uses the BT network (called Openreach), so it should work but want to make sure it does. It seems it should based on my discussion today with them, otherwise they will refund me so all good.

Thank you again.

I have a fiberhome GPON modem/router supplied by my ISP. CPU is underpowered for my needs and the firmware is terrible. I recommend placing the ISP supplied modem/router in bridge mode. Thereby turning it into a modem. That way, you can avoid any double NAT issues and take full advantage of the CPU and firmware of your ASUS router.