What's new

Asus RT-AC66U DDNS with nsupdate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amura11

New Around Here
I recently installed asuswrt-merlin and I wanted to setup a custom update script to work with my bind DNS server using nsupdate. I followed the guide on git hub and created a script called 'ddns-start' in '/jffs/scripts/' and put my key file in '/jffs/configs'. I've made sure the script is runable and that I have 'Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs' set to 'yes'.

When I go to the DDNS section in the WebUI I get an error saying "Request Error. Please try again". If I try to apply the settings it just hangs saying "Applying". I've checked the system log and all I see is "rc_service: watchdog 253:notify_rc start_ddns" repeated all the time.

I tried manually running the script but I just get the error "-sh /jffs/scripts/ddns-start: not found".

I have two questions:
  1. Is there anything blatantly wrong with my setup that's causing this?
  2. How can I get more detailed logs?

After messing around some more I realized I can't run nsupdate manually. I assume nsupdate isn't installed by default. My question now becomes how do I setup nsupdate on merlin?

After messing around some more I realized I can't run nsupdate manually. I assume nsupdate isn't installed by default. My question now becomes how do I setup nsupdate on merlin?

According to the Wiki, you must install these two packages from Entware:

Code:
# Tested with bash and bind-client to be installed from entware-ng