What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U in repeater mode loses connection to ZyXEL C1100Z

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robert WP

New Around Here
Previously I had the AC66U connected to a different router and it never lost connection, that I was aware of, now that I have to connect to a ZyXEL C1100Z I lose internet connection fairly often, once or more per day requiring one or more reboots of the AC66U. I have upgraded my Merlin firmware to the latest from 380.68_2 to 380.68_4 hoping that it would fix the problem, but no luck so far. My previous firmware when it was connected to the other router was at least a year old (don't quite remember the version) and I upgraded to 380.68_2 wanting to be running the latest firmware version, but lo and behold it now disconnects as mentioned above. I'm not sure if it's the ZyXEL C1100Z or the AC66U firmware that's causing the problem. The internet connection on the ZyXEL C1100Z never get's lost. Can anyone one help with this problem?

i think this is one of the issues that can be caused by repeating

i would suggest its not the asus but the ZyXEL that may be dropping the wifi even for a very short period of time and the issue with repeaters is they can struggle to reconnect after an outage like this and do require the repeater to be power cycled

i think this is one of the issues that can be caused by repeating

i would suggest its not the asus but the ZyXEL that may be dropping the wifi even for a very short period of time and the issue with repeaters is they can struggle to reconnect after an outage like this and do require the repeater to be power cycled

Thanks for the response Pete. Is this one of those regrettable things that one has to learn to live with or Is there any tweek that can be done to the ZyXEL to alleviate this problem?

well you may need to investigate why the ZyXEL drops the signal , perhaps set it to a specific channel and channel bandwidth , it may however just be a compatibility issue between the chipsets

Are you connecting on 2.4 or 5 GHz? If on 5Ghz, have you tried reducing the channel bandwith to 40MHz?