What's new

Asus RT-AC66U software Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

transformer

New Around Here
I recently purchased Asus RT-AC66U before I purchased read some magazine articles and some reviews on the web about this router with DD-WRT software could log how much bandwidth each device hard wire and wireless uses, it has the lasted firmware loaded from Asus. After reading manual and going through setup and talking to Asus tech (waste of time) I can not figure out how to do it or maybe it doesn't but that was one of the points I purchased it. does anyone know if this is possible and how can I do it. Thanks in advance for any help!

I recently purchased Asus RT-AC66U before I purchased read some magazine articles and some reviews on the web about this router with DD-WRT software could log how much bandwidth each device hard wire and wireless uses, it has the lasted firmware loaded from Asus. After reading manual and going through setup and talking to Asus tech (waste of time) I can not figure out how to do it or maybe it doesn't but that was one of the points I purchased it. does anyone know if this is possible and how can I do it. Thanks in advance for any help!

You can do this, in a sort of rudimentary fashion; not nearly as pretty as the new Traffic Analzyer for the AC3200 and 87U, but you can get the data about specific IP usage.

In the router's GUI, go to Tools-->Other Settings and select "Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)". Be sure to then hit the Apply button. Then go to Traffic Manager-->Traffic Monitor and you will see a drop down menu in the upper right hand side of the page. There you can select to get statistics and usage data per IP of each device connected to the router over various periods (live data, prior week, etc.). You can also choose to record the data to a USB disk or thumb drive so you can go back and analyze it later (if you just have everything saved to RAM, which is the default, your logs will quickly overwrite themselves in a very short period of time).

IPTraffic requires flashing my custom firmware first.

Thanks for the answers I guess I need to flash but have no idea how I need to do this and what all will this change about how the router is set up now and the screens that I see now and the format layout. are there instructions somewhere that instructs how to do this and will I ever be able to go back to what I have now if for some reason it doesn't work, I am kind of new to router set ups. would appreciate your help.

Sorry about that, I didn't recall that this feature wasn't in the original Asus firmware. I've been using Merlin's so long I just forgot.

You can flash Merlin's firmware quite easily and if you don't like it, you can revert back to your stock Asus firmware, as long as you make sure the version you are running is still available for download at the Asus support website for the RT-AC66U.

Flashing your firmware is really easy. Just download the version you want from Merlin's site http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/ (read about the different features here first to see what you want to use first; I would suggest using the latest stable versoin). Unpack the zip file and put it where you will be able to locate it on your computer. Next go into the router's GUI, and navigate to to the "Administration.-->Firmware Upgrade" page, and find the "New Firmware File" link (browse your computer and find the unpacked file with the .trx file name), and select that to be uploaded to your router. Then click on apply. The router will do the rest.

You should then do a "factory reset" of your settings. This is easily done too. After the upgrade, go back into your GUI, and again on Administration go to "Restore/Save/Upload" and look for "Restore Factory Defaults". Click that and apply. The router will again reboot. You will have to re-enter everything by hand again, but I'm guessing that you only have the most simple settings anyway.

Once you have Merlin's firmware installed, follow the directions in my first post above.

Good luck.

Thank you Jegesq for your help! Your instructions sounds like I may be able to do this I appreciate the help, when I get it all going will post back to let you know.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!