What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U VPN Server/Client stopped working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hellion

New Around Here
I have had a VPN connection between my home any my parents home for sending backups, both sites are equipped with ASUS RC-AC66U routers running merlin 380.70. A few months ago the backups started failing and I just recently had time to start properly looking into why.

The client connection seems to time out (try to connect from my house to my folks). Looking at the router at my parents house, that one was immediately able to connect to the VPN server running on my home router (which I don't really need, but ran just for testing).

The settings on my parents' router for the vpn server are seen in the attached image. The settings are the same on my home router, which makes it so confusing why folks -> home vpn client connects, but not home -> folks. The only difference I was able to spot when I diffed the .ovpn files from each server was that the one from my parents hade AES-128-CBC set as the legacy/fallback cipher. Otherwise they were identical, just other keys of course.

Can someone please help me to do get this VPN back up and running, what do I need to do to get the server up and running so that I can connect from my house and send backups over, i.e. my home computers need to be able to find and connect to the devices at my parents house, but the other way around is not necessary.

Attachments

• prof248.png
    prof248.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 593
You really need to look at the syslogs on both routers for the time when you try to connect. If it simply can't connect perhaps the IP address of the target server has changed.

You really need to look at the syslogs on both routers for the time when you try to connect. If it simply can't connect perhaps the IP address of the target server has changed.
The only thing I see in the syslog on the client side is this:

Jun 8 16:26:44 openvpn[3386]: Restart pause, 300 second(s)
Jun 8 16:31:44 openvpn[3386]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Jun 8 16:31:44 openvpn[3386]: TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]100.67.65.114:1194
Jun 8 16:31:44 openvpn[3386]: Socket Buffers: R=[118784->118784] S=[118784->118784]
Jun 8 16:31:44 openvpn[3386]: UDP link local: (not bound)
Jun 8 16:31:44 openvpn[3386]: UDP link remote: [AF_INET]100.67.65.114:1194
Jun 8 16:32:44 openvpn[3386]: [UNDEF] Inactivity timeout (--ping-restart), restarting
Jun 8 16:32:44 openvpn[3386]: SIGUSR1[soft,ping-restart] received, process restarting
Jun 8 16:32:44 openvpn[3386]: Restart pause, 300 second(s)

I haven't had the chance to check the logs on the server router. Will try to do that tomrrow.

I got this sorted out. The problem was with my parent's switching to a new ISP and the new provider didn't provide a public IP address. So after calling them and asking about the connectivity issues they set up a public IP and connecting was no longer an issue.