What's new

Asus RT-AC66U vs Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MjWoneR

Occasional Visitor
My Apple TM is about to retire due to random restarts after 5 years of service.

I know the Netgear is a better router, but is it worth the extra money over the Asus?

I know the Netgear is a better router, but is it worth the extra money over the Asus?

The Netgear 7800 is light years better then the AC66U as far as hardware BUT Netgears firmware is another story. There are third party support though. My choice 7800 over the AC66 any day hands down.

Are you talking about the RT-AC66U, or the RT-AC66U_B1? Cause the RT-AC66U is a 5 years old model, and is nowhere near the performance level of the R7800. The RT-AC66U_B1 has more modern hardware and software, and is more or less identical to the Netgear R7000.

Are you talking about the RT-AC66U, or the RT-AC66U_B1? Cause the RT-AC66U is a 5 years old model, and is nowhere near the performance level of the R7800. The RT-AC66U_B1 has more modern hardware and software, and is more or less identical to the Netgear R7000.

Asus’ lineup is a bit confusing but I think I’m looking at the latest, AC66U B1.
Hard to tell from the online retailers’ listings. Is the B1 the one with the front USB port?

I’m after a solid router I can mount on the wall, and from I understand those two are good choices.

Last edited:
Asus’ lineup is a bit confusing but I think I’m looking at the latest, AC66U B1.
Hard to tell from the online retailers’ listings. Is the B1 the one with the front USB port?

That's correct. Usually, it should be part of the model name, but if it's not a major retailer they might not be properly listing it. If the photo can be trusted, the B1 does have a front USB port, and non-detachable antennas.

That model would be a step behind the R7800, but not that far behind. The RT-AC66U_B1 is quite aggressively priced, and for most users it's more than sufficient.

That's correct. Usually, it should be part of the model name, but if it's not a major retailer they might not be properly listing it. If the photo can be trusted, the B1 does have a front USB port, and non-detachable antennas.

That model would be a step behind the R7800, but not that far behind. The RT-AC66U_B1 is quite aggressively priced, and for most users it's more than sufficient.

Thanks for the info!

I just found out the B1 is not wall mountable. A shame.

This two you are comparing belongs to different generation of routers. Older vs. Newer (comparing each other)

Thanks for the info!

I just found out the B1 is not wall mountable. A shame.

That surprised me as well considering the case is mostly similar to the wall mountable RT-N66U/RT-AC66U. Might be another cost-cutting measure to help that model get sold for a bit less than the RT-AC68U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!