What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U Wifi Disconnection Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevindd992002

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC66U with the latest Merlin firmware (380.70) that can support it. I have a weird wifi disconnection issue wherein when I go to the comfort room, my cellphones stay connected to the wifi but has an exclamation point on them and there is no Internet. Signal is still pretty good because when I disconnect and reconnect back to the wifi SSID, I get Internet back. What could be causing this? I'm connecting to only the 5GHz SSID so no roaming occurs.

:)Bring a newspaper to the "comfort room" instead of your cellphone:)
Sounds like there may be electrical interference, perhaps from an exhaust fan? WiFi signal is getting through but data is being corrupted.

:)Bring a newspaper to the "comfort room" instead of your cellphone:)
Sounds like there may be electrical interference, perhaps from an exhaust fan? WiFi signal is getting through but data is being corrupted.

I know, I know :)

Possibly. But this never happened when I was using an older Linksys AP (WRT610N). So I'm leaning towards the RT-AC66U causing it. If it's electrical interference, shouldn't data stay corrupted AFTER disconnecting/reconnecting?

Could be an antenna positioning issue.
If it's electrical interference, shouldn't data stay corrupted AFTER disconnecting/reconnecting?
  • Issue only occurs when you go to or are in "comfort room" but cellphones don't recover after leave the "comfort room" without disconnecting and reconnecting? Sounds like a cellphone issue.
  • If you can recover will still in "comfort room", it could be a power switch, light fixture, etc. Go into "comfort room" but don't turn anything on. See what happens.