What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tony Abraham

New Around Here
Hi,

I have been doing a bit of research into this problem I am experiencing but cannot find a definitive answer. I have setup my OOTB RT-AC66U with OpenVPN client, I used NordVPN as my VPN provider. No matter what server I connect to I cannot seem to get more than 7MB down / 7MB up - I get about 30 / 10 without VPN.

Would installing Asuswrt-Merlin improve these speeds? I have read that the CPU is the limitation on this router, can I overclock with the Merlin firmware to improve the speeds? I don't expect it to be as good as no VPN but would help if I could get a bit more from it.

Thanks for your help

Tony

I'm not sure, sorry I am not massively clued up on this. I just uploaded the file provided by NordVPN. Where do I check this?

My firmware is a bit more optimized for OpenVPN, however for your particular model you won't see a big difference. Your CPU is the bottleneck.

What about overclocking the CPU? I am interested to know about changing the encryption, does the VPN provider have to support 128?

Thanks for your help

Those routers don't really overclock, and you wouldn't get much of a difference anyway.

Yes, the cipher is determined by the provider. Check on your OpenVPN client configuration page on the router, see if it's AES-128-CBC or AES-256-CBC (the two most commonly supported ciphers). If it's AES-256-CBC, check with them if they have other configuration files/servers that support AES-128-CBC instead, and import that config file.

I'm getting around 9 Mbps on a RT-N66U with AES-256-GCM. It has the same CPU so you shouldn't expect much more.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!