Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS RT-AC66U

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Tony Abraham, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Tony Abraham

Tony Abraham New Around Here

Hi,

I have been doing a bit of research into this problem I am experiencing but cannot find a definitive answer. I have setup my OOTB RT-AC66U with OpenVPN client, I used NordVPN as my VPN provider. No matter what server I connect to I cannot seem to get more than 7MB down / 7MB up - I get about 30 / 10 without VPN.

Would installing Asuswrt-Merlin improve these speeds? I have read that the CPU is the limitation on this router, can I overclock with the Merlin firmware to improve the speeds? I don't expect it to be as good as no VPN but would help if I could get a bit more from it.

Thanks for your help

Tony

2. Jack Yaz

Jack Yaz Very Senior Member

It's a 600MHZ CPU.

What encryption? 128 will be faster than 256.

3. Tony Abraham

I'm not sure, sorry I am not massively clued up on this. I just uploaded the file provided by NordVPN. Where do I check this?

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

My firmware is a bit more optimized for OpenVPN, however for your particular model you won't see a big difference. Your CPU is the bottleneck.

5. Tony Abraham

What about overclocking the CPU? I am interested to know about changing the encryption, does the VPN provider have to support 128?

Thanks for your help

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Those routers don't really overclock, and you wouldn't get much of a difference anyway.

Yes, the cipher is determined by the provider. Check on your OpenVPN client configuration page on the router, see if it's AES-128-CBC or AES-256-CBC (the two most commonly supported ciphers). If it's AES-256-CBC, check with them if they have other configuration files/servers that support AES-128-CBC instead, and import that config file.

7. Veky

Veky Occasional Visitor

I'm getting around 9 Mbps on a RT-N66U with AES-256-GCM. It has the same CPU so you shouldn't expect much more.