What's new

Asus RT AC66U_B1 Not Using Gigabyte Ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Bartel

New Around Here
Hey guys,

Not great with networking and completely new to the forums. That aside, my router is not using the gigabyte ports and is capping my speed. I currently have speeds of over 100mbps but each LAN port is capped at 100mbps. The WAN connection is at using a "gigabyte" connection though. Ive connected the modem directly to the house ethernet ports and received proper speeds on all house connections. Any idea why the ethernet ports are set at 100mbps? Hell, my wifi is giving faster speeds than my ethernet atm. Posting an image of what I am saying below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190925-111059_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190925-111059_Chrome.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 272
what are the router setting for the ports - "auto negotiate" ?
try manually setting them to gigabit.
have you tried a factory reset of the router ?

sketch of exactly the physical connections for your tests with and without the router in the network for the results above, please.

if the same cables are used in the same places for each test, then it should not be the cables.

Using Windows devices?

Go in to network connections, delete the connection and reboot PC. The figure reported is what the device is running at.

what are the router setting for the ports - "auto negotiate" ?
try manually setting them to gigabit.
have you tried a factory reset of the router ?

sketch of exactly the physical connections for your tests with and without the router in the network for the results above, please.

if the same cables are used in the same places for each test, then it should not be the cables.

I cant change the ethernet ports on the router to gigabyte manually. Its always auto negiotiates (unless I am missing a setting). What we have tried:

Connecting the modem directly to ethernet cables wired inside the house. Gave us 250mbps down and 12 up on every port we connected it to. (Used cable thats currently connecting the modem to the router).

Connected router to house ethernet ports (all 4 cables brand new). Cant get it to gigabyte. Tried 4 different older cables. Same speeds and is capped at 100mbps.

Havent tried a factory reset yet but I am doing it this evening. Ill give a literal sketch of our wiring I guess. Not exactly sure how to explain it further.

Also tried using all 4 current cables that are connecting the router to the house on the modem. Receive the 1gb with each cable.

Attachments

• 15694329621923104320255965959870.jpg
    15694329621923104320255965959870.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 168
Using Windows devices?

Go in to network connections, delete the connection and reboot PC. The figure reported is what the device is running at.

What do you mean by "delete the connection"? As in delete the ethernet driver or what? Also want to state that I am on an Asus Maximus IX Hero (which is capable of gigabyte ethernet).

Your network connection on your PC/laptop.

Sometimes Windows gets the connection rate wrong, I've seen it after firmware updates, many times and was stuck at 10Mbps after using a VPN client on a Windows PC.

You need to clear the connection, sometimes a network reset will work but usually I find you have to delete the network connection and reboot.

Windows Task Bar > Network >Right click>Open Network settings>Change Adaptor Options >click on the live connection to see the speed. Right click for the tools.

Or, last entry on that page " Network reset" clears the connection and might do the job.

Or Control Panel> Device manager>Network drivers> delete>reboot. (New network driver is installed on reboot)

I
Your network connection on your PC/laptop.

Sometimes Windows gets the connection rate wrong, I've seen it after firmware updates, many times and was stuck at 10Mbps after using a VPN client on a Windows PC.

You need to clear the connection, sometimes a network reset will work but usually I find you have to delete the network connection and reboot.

Windows Task Bar > Network >Right click>Open Network settings>Change Adaptor Options >click on the live connection to see the speed. Right click for the tools.

Or, last entry on that page " Network reset" clears the connection and might do the job.

Or Control Panel> Device manager>Network drivers> delete>reboot. (New network driver is installed on reboot)

I will attempt it when I am home. Just slightly suprised that if I connect the modem directly to my pc is auto negiotiates gigabyte after a reboot, but the pc is hard stuck on 100mbps when the router is connected to my pc.

Did this happen on its own or after a recent change ?

Its been set at 100mbps ever since we got the router and set it up a year or so ago. Never realized it until recent. Download speeds are the same but alone on the network I feel like I shouldnt only be receiving 30-50 percent of my speeds.

Do you suppose your internal wiring is only Cat-5 ethernet (max 100 Mbps) instead of Cat-5e or Cat-6 (1 Gbps)? How old is it?

Do you suppose your internal wiring is only Cat-5 ethernet (max 100 Mbps) instead of Cat-5e or Cat-6 (1 Gbps)? How old is it?

Internal wiring is cat 5e, wires we are using to connect to house are cat 6. With the fact that a connection from the modem, to house wiring, to pc received speeds of 200+ mbps im gonna say its not the house wiring but something to do with the modem

You've probably done this already but... try connecting only 1 device to the router's LAN port and leaving the other 3 ports empty. Maybe also try swapping the cable to it or using a different PC. I'm just thinking that maybe there's a fault on one of the connections that's "dragging down" the others.

You've probably done this already but... try connecting only 1 device to the router's LAN port and leaving the other 3 ports empty. Maybe also try swapping the cable to it or using a different PC. I'm just thinking that maybe there's a fault on one of the connections that's "dragging down" the others.

Ya tried that :/ no change. Only thing we have yet to try is a factory reset of the device which we will be doing soon.