What's new

Asus RT-AC68 upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netbuilder2019

New Around Here
So I recently upgraded to the Asus RT-AC68U router. My previous router was the RT-AC66U. As part of the upgrade I moved to the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware release. I am a fan of the new firmware and the features available over the stock firmware. The upgrade went well minus one hiccup.

I lost my wifi connection with my ancient HP 7410 printer (I love this printer-built like a tank and deep ink cartridges). The printer is only WPA capable which I have set on the 2.4 GHZ band. The printer connected fine with the RT-AC66U but now with the RT-AC68U, it fails to connect. Is there anything I might be overlooking as part of the setup?

I have matched all like settings between the routers and searched for similar issues. None specifically relating to my issue. The closest I have found came up with is https://www.seriouslytrivial.com/20...d-airprint-wireless-printer-problem-solution/. I have tweaked the settings to match and completed resets and reverted to the Asus firmware to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I would like to remain with the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware capabilities.

Other options are to revert back to the RT-AC66 and lose the Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware; or I could set up a wireless bridge but really don't think it should be necessary if the printer connected fine to the older router.

Thanks in advance!

Make the 2.4GHz network Open temporarily, see if the printer connects.

- If it does, check your security settings
- If it doesn't, check your wireless settings

Make the 2.4GHz network Open temporarily, see if the printer connects.

- If it does, check your security settings
- If it doesn't, check your wireless settings

So I ran the open network and the printer did connect. So it appears to be a security problem. The odd thing is.... both security setups are exactly the same on both routers. Both are running WPA-Personnal and AES. Connects fine to the RT-AC66 but not the RT-AC68? I'm a little stumped to say the least.

delete connection on printer (or replace by something completely different if last is saved) and try again to connect with AES only.

delete connection on printer (or replace by something completely different if last is saved) and try again to connect with AES only.

Still no luck. And I have done a factory reset on the RT-68U as well and manually entered settings back in. At this point I think I might stick with the RT-66.

If you dont often need the printer you could set a guest-wifi (only for printer) with WEP or even open and activate this guest only when you need the printer.

have you set the router to be n/ac only? I'll wager that your printer can't see the network, likely being a b/g device

and yes, you can run an older version of Merlin on the ac66...OR you can put the other, similar fork on it that's stickied at the top of this forum if you want to stay more "current"