What's new

Asus RT-AC68P as AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
Hi..
I need to have two routers.

router 1 is for computers connected using Ethernet

router 2 which is on another part of the house is connected to router 1 (connected to the WAN port) using an Ethernet cable and is broadcasting 2 SSID's.
192.168.2.1 - family wifi
192.168.3.1 - guests wifi

I would like to keep the same subnet 192.168.1.1 for the family wifi, that way those devices are on the same network as the PCs connected to the main router 192.168.1.1

If I connect router 2 to the LAN port, then the guest wifi does not connect.
How can I do this?

Thanks.

If I connect router 2 to the LAN port, then the guest wifi does not connect.
I assume you mean "If I connect the Ethernet cable to router 2's LAN port..."

How can I do this?
You can't. The way that the guest networks are implemented doesn't facilitate that. [And in case you didn't realise, your current setup allows clients on 192.168.3.x to access devices on 192.168.1.x]

I assume you mean "If I connect the Ethernet cable to router 2's LAN port..."

You can't. The way that the guest networks are implemented doesn't facilitate that. [And in case you didn't realise, your current setup allows clients on 192.168.3.x to access devices on 192.168.1.x]
Right.. the way I have it now, it's working fine, but the clients connected to 192.168.2.x cannot access network files or the printer which is connected to 192.168.1.1.

Can you ping 192.168.1.1 from a client on 192.168.2.x or 192.168.3.x ?

How are you sharing your network files, Samba? If so, you won't be able to "browse" to them but you can probably still access them by IP address.

EDIT: Sorry, I've just realised something..... You said you have two subnets running on Router 2 (192.168.2.x and 192.168.3.x). As far as I'm aware that's not possible using stock Asus firmware.

Can you ping 192.168.1.1 from a client on 192.168.2.x or 192.168.3.x ?

How are you sharing your network files, Samba? If so, you won't be able to "browse" to them but you can probably still access them by IP address.
I can ping clients from 192.168.2.x on 192.168.1.x - - but, I cannot find/connect to the printer which is on 192.168.1.x - this is the main reason..

I don't really care about 192.168.3.1 because that's the guest network (non family clients).

Is this a USB printer that you've connected to Router 1?

What about what I said in post #5? What firmware are you running?

Is this a USB printer that you've connected to Router 1?

What about what I said in post #5? What firmware are you running?
The printer is connected to router 1 via Ethernet cable.

I have not flashed this firmware yet. I am on Tomato firmware and came across this Merlin firmware and wanted to give it a try...but before I did that, I wanted to know if what I want can be achieved.

OK. Then whatever setup you choose would work in the same way as any other routers. The only difference is that stock/Merlin firmware doesn't support more than one subnet per router, unless you use custom scripting like this.

OK. Then whatever setup you choose would work in the same way as any other routers. The only difference is that stock/Merlin firmware doesn't support more than one subnet per router, unless you use custom scripting like this.
oh wow.. so the only way to setup vlans is through scripts?

Well, Im glad you let me know this... maybe I will hold off a bit more before flashing this one.. thanks a lot.

oh wow.. so the only way to setup vlans is through scripts?
Stock/Merlin firmware has no support at all for VLANs (other than for IPTV). User scripts like the one I linked to use unsupported "hacks" to achieve their objectives. When people ask about VLAN support I usually tell them to look at Tomato.

Stock/Merlin firmware has no support at all for VLANs (other than for IPTV). User scripts like the one I linked to use unsupported "hacks" to achieve their objectives. When people ask about VLAN support I usually tell them to look at Tomato.
yeah.. I figured this wouldn't be an issue since I read that Merlin is based off of Tomato. I thought it would be more or less the same features, just looked different.. guess not lol

Merlin's firmware is a modification of Asus' current stock code. I believe that has common root with Tomato but Asus has modified it significantly since then.

Merlin's firmware is a modification of Asus' current stock code. I believe that has common root with Tomato but Asus has modified it significantly since then.
I looks great though... the gui looks very nice...I've been using tomato for many, many years now...simple look, but many options.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!