What's new

ASUS RT-AC68P Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266 BAD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dswartze

New Around Here
So I updated my RT-AC68P yesterday to the latest version of firmware: 3.0.0.4.380.7266 (2017-02-14). From then on my network would go down every 3 hours. I noticed the following in my system log:
rc_service: httpd 513:notify_rc start_webs_update

This lead me to a post of this forum ASUS RT-AC68U rebooting on it's own.

Well I called ASUS Support this morning and they told me that they have received other reports of this issue for this firmware version. They told me to downgrade to previous firmware version. So I've downgraded to Version 3.0.0.4.380.4164.

It hasn't been 3 hours yet, so I don't know if this is THE fix ... but I'll try and remember to come back tomorrow after no issues and update this thread.

But I thought I'd get the word out - DO NOT UPDATE YOUR ROUTER TO FIRMWARE VERSION 3.0.0.4.380.7266 (2017-02-14)

thanks for the feedback, I have AC68U but I guess the firmware is identical (ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266), but have not yet installed new firmware

did you try performing restoring everything to factory default and reconfigure?

is there anyone else who has tried new firmware?

thanks for the feedback, I have AC68U but I guess the firmware is identical (ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266), but have not yet installed new firmware

I've been running the new firmware for four days on a RT-AC68U with no problems.

I have been running the new firmware on my RT-AC68W; not seeing any problems, whereas I was having intermittent connectivity drops with the previous firmware. Based on my experience, I would not now revert back to previous firmware version.

The AC66U B1 is basically the same as the AC68U. The latest firmware on my AC66U B1 seemed to work OK but would crash the Asus Router App on my Android. Back to Merlin 380.65!

This firmware caused chaos on my 88 as well as far as staying connected to internet. Stability was non existent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been running the new firmware on my RT-AC68W; not seeing any problems, whereas I was having intermittent connectivity drops with the previous firmware. Based on my experience, I would not now revert back to previous firmware version.
CORRECTION: I lost internet during the overnight. This morning, I saw no activity blue lights flashing; so not receiving power. Strange thing is; disconnecting, then re-connecting AC68W power cable did not restore its power. Then I saw that the pushbutton power switch was in the OFF position. I had to push it to ON in order to supply power to the router. Never seen a mechanical pushbutton affected by a crash before...I did the firmware upgrade 5 days ago, and it worked perfectly for 4.5 days. No I did not do a factory reset and reconfiguration with this version _7266. Factory reset and reconfiguration had been done a month ago when I purchased this router, with version 4164.

I have to have the internet running when I start work in 20 minutes. I'll factory reset then upload the previous firmware version's settings now; unless you advise otherwise. Thanks in advance.

So I updated my RT-AC68P yesterday to the latest version of firmware: 3.0.0.4.380.7266 (2017-02-14). From then on my network would go down every 3 hours. I noticed the following in my system log:
rc_service: httpd 513:notify_rc start_webs_update

This lead me to a post of this forum ASUS RT-AC68U rebooting on it's own.

Well I called ASUS Support this morning and they told me that they have received other reports of this issue for this firmware version. They told me to downgrade to previous firmware version. So I've downgraded to Version 3.0.0.4.380.4164.

It hasn't been 3 hours yet, so I don't know if this is THE fix ... but I'll try and remember to come back tomorrow after no issues and update this thread.

But I thought I'd get the word out - DO NOT UPDATE YOUR ROUTER TO FIRMWARE VERSION 3.0.0.4.380.7266 (2017-02-14)
Please note; after 4.5 days with version 7266, the AC-68W router did a power shutdown during the overnight. I've lost connectivity many times over the years; but I've never seen an unattended router power shutdown before. Even if I lose my home's electrical service, the routers power up when service is restored.

i know right?! lol I jokingly asked my partner if she had turned it off. She's concerned I already spend WAY too much time working on the home network; so the chances of her messin' with me seem remote.
but thank you for the hardware ID; had not occurred to me. Will check with Asus as still under warranty.

So if the only way for the detent power button to go to OFF is from physically pushing it inward; it couldn't possibly be related to any type of software, correct? Electrical service circuit breakers will physically shut off after a spike; but don't know of a router spike protection.

Reactions: fax
Have an ASUS RT-AC87 updated my router and started to disconnect from the internet, kept rebooting but after 8 times doing that from yesterday and today, decided to rollback the the previous firmware. It has passed about 30 min and my router hasn't crash which by this time with the new version would have already stop working. I know this thread is for the RT-ac68 but it uses the same firmware version as my router.

I have not had any disconnects and I wonder if this could be more related to the type of modem or connection being used like DSL vs Cable.

I upgraded my AC3100 with this 7266 firmware 2 days ago, it's been a disaster!
Router randomly reboots. I'll download 4180 and downgrade it to see if this will happen.

I upgraded my AC3100 with this 7266 firmware 2 days ago, it's been a disaster!
Router randomly reboots. I'll download 4180 and downgrade it to see if this will happen.

Yeah, it caused chaos on my 88U too... it's a bad apple I tell you LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After 2 weeks this version started failing me; Download Master failed, couldn't connect with the DM server...so I've done a factory default reset and reflashed the 7266 firmware; even 'santized' the network. I also did a windows 10 reset as pc had become very laggy after 2 years. Ever since, I cannot set up a windows homegroup on this pc. I didn't think the two issues (router and windwos 10) were related. I've also got RT-N66R set in AP mode connected via ethernet switch to primary RT-AC68W. Do I also need to do a factory default reset to the AP and re-flash as it too upgraded to the 7266 firmware?

Wow... what a mess. Downgraded and couldn't connect to the router interface. I had to do 2 times of factory reset in order to get it work...
so far 3 hours, no reboot.
Do not upgrade to 7266. Im staying 4180 for now.

I installed it 2 days ago on my -AC68P and have been having trouble ever since. Just went back to the 4180. So far so good, but its only been 10 min.o_O:confused:

After 7266 failure, I've just updated from 4180 to newest release 7378 on my RT-AC68W; no problems after 5 days.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!