What's new

Asus RT-AC68R access point different subnet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BobInOK

New Around Here
Hi need some help with an Asus RT-AC68R router. Kinda long story, will try to be brief.

I have a business/home network mostly wired using an 8 port Link-Sys router to connect to the internet. It's IP is the typical 192.168.1.1. Some time ago I installed an Amped high power wireless router for guest internet access. Was fairly easy to configure it get the WAN IP from the Link-Sys and use 192.168.3.1 for the LAN network. This allowed guests access to the internet but not my network.

The Amped worked great for a year till it died. I bought an Asus rt-ac68r to replace the Amped and am having trouble configuring it as an access point with the wireless LAN using a different IP. First I tried the Access Point setting which worked but only on the same subnet as my network. Then I tried it in Router mode with the LAN address set to 192.168.3.1 and the WAN set for DynamicIP but then the router couldn't or didn't access the internet.

Any tips on how to make this work?
Thanks

It should work just fine with it in router mode. But note that unless you have put in firewall restrictions, your guest network will be able to access your business network.

Internet --> RouterA --> RouterB

If this is how you are connected, RouterA cannot see the network behind RouterB. But RouterB can see the network of RouterA. If you are going to run your guest and business off of two routers like this....RouterA should be your guest network with RouterB as your business network.

Thanks, I'll try it again in Router mode.

Not sure I understand how someone connected to the wireless router which will assign the device an IP on 192.168.3.xxx will be able to access my network on 192.168.1.xxx without having the smarts to change the IP on the device. Not something my guests would bother with. I know all of them personally and most barely know how to access the internet.

Not sure I understand how someone connected to the wireless router which will assign the device an IP on 192.168.3.xxx will be able to access my network on 192.168.1.xxx without having the smarts to change the IP on the device.
They don't need to change their IP address or anything else. They have access to the 192.168.1.xxx network because it is upstream of their network. It's exactly the same reason that both 192.168.1.xxx and 192.168.3.xxx have access to the internet because the internet is upstream from both of them. Going downstream doesn't work because the firewalls on the routers block incoming traffic from the WAN side.

Not trying to be argumentative, am sure you know much more about routers than I do. When I had the Amped connected I tried everything I could think of to try and access my network from a laptop connected to the 192.168.3.xxx wireless network and was not able to get there. I didn't do anything special with the Amped configuration to block the network just changed the IP and it worked. What am I missing?

I can't really comment on your Amped setup because I don't know anything about those devices. I was really referring to your current setup with the two Asus routers. There might be some piece of the puzzle that we're not seeing because as @MichaelCG pointed out your current setup should work.

Right now I'm tied up with another project and might be a day or two before I get back to the router to try what you guys have suggested. I do appreciate the help and will post the outcome whatever it ends up being.

It works, have the router up and working. I'm logged onto it from a Windows 7 laptop and everything seems to be fine. Set it up in Router mode with the 192.168.3.xxx LAN and auto IP for the internet which connects to the 192.168.1.1 router.

I can't see my network with Windows Explorer, would someone tell me how to access the 192.168.1.xxx network from this laptop? If it can be done I would like to know how.

Thanks

I can't see my network with Windows Explorer, would someone tell me how to access the 192.168.1.xxx network from this laptop? If it can be done I would like to know how.
I'm assuming the laptop is 192.168.3.xxx. When you say you "can't see my network with Windows Explorer" are you referring to the 192.168.1.xxx network, the 192.168.3.xxx, or both?

The 192.168.1.xxx network which is my home/business network. This laptop is on the 192.168.3.xxx wireless network and it's the only device connected at this time. It can see itself but nothing else.

I'm just trying to fully understand the above warning that guests on the 192.168.3.xxx network will be able to access my business network if I hook up the routers as I have. Router A is my business network Router B is a wireless router for guest internet access that is configured as 192.168.3.xxx.

Internet --> RouterA --> RouterB

From 192.168.3.xxx Windows Explorer won't be able to "browse" the 192.168.1.xxx network because it is on another subnet. That doesn't mean that the 192.168.1.xxx is not accessible, just that Windows Explorer doesn't show it.

So if there is a server on 192.168.1.xxx (like a printer, NAS or even the router) and you know it's IP address it should be accessible from 192.168.3.xxx. Try going to http: // 192.168.1.1 from your laptop.

Last edited:
From 192.168.3.xxx Windows Explorer won't be able to "browse" the 192.168.1.xxx network because it is on another subnet. That doesn't mean that the 192.168.1.xxx is not accessible, just that Windows Explorer doesn't show it.

So if there is a server on 192.168.1.xxx (like a printer, NAS or even the router) and you know it's IP address it should be accessible from 192.168.3.xxx. Try going to 192.168.1.1 from your laptop.

Colin, think your last post was stopped by the spam filter because it contained the full link to 192.168.1.1. I removed the http in the quote.

Anyway, yes I can get to the 192.168.1.1 router by entering the address in my browser but couldn't do anything if I didn't know the login and password. Still doesn't give me access to my business network.

Like I said, just trying to fully understand the warning about guests being able to access my network?

Colin, think your last post was stopped by the spam filter because it contained the full link to 192.168.1.1. I removed the http in the quote.

Anyway, yes I can get to the 192.168.1.1 router by entering the address in my browser but couldn't do anything if I didn't know the login and password. Still doesn't give me access to my business network.

Like I said, just trying to fully understand the warning about guests being able to access my network?
Yes my (and your's I think) post is awaiting moderation.

You said "Still doesn't give me access to my business network" but you also stated that you could access the router at 192.168.1.1. So that tells me you have access to the 192.168.1.x network from 192.168.3.x. Of course you still need to know the appropriate user names and passwords as applicable. Perhaps we have different understandings of the word "access".

Think I got it now, Yes a computer connected to the wireless router can access my home/business network but it's still secure enough that the average Joe guest isn't going to be able to do anything. My place is out in the boon docks, if someone is sitting in a car close enough to hack into my network he is also writhen 22-250 range.

Think I got it now, Yes a computer connected to the wireless router can access my home/business network but it's still secure enough that the average Joe guest isn't going to be able to do anything. My place is out in the boon docks, if someone is sitting in a car close enough to hack into my network he is also writhen 22-250 range.
With that stance why are you even running a separate guest router? Just simplify and use a single one for everything.

Most people that run a separate router for guest do it for the isolation of guests from their personal or business networks.

Sent from some device using Tapatalk