Asus RT-AC68U 386.2_6 low on free nvram

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
I'm having it myself:

1627970741333.png

62860 / 65536 should be fine, shouldn't it?

Code:
size: 62885 bytes (2651 left)
2020 custom_clientlist
931 nc_setting_conf
734 wl0_maclist_x
733 wl_maclist_x
562 dhcp_staticlist
549 rc_support
415 dhcp_hostnames
410 wl1_maclist_x
376 vts_rulelist
237 webdav_smb_pc
171 dnsfilter_rulelist
166 subnet_rulelist
151 wollist
131 wl1_chansps
120 qos_rulelist
117 pptpd_clientlist
112 vlan_rulelist
92 1:pa5ga2
92 1:pa5ga1
92 1:pa5ga0

I've already gone through and edited custom_clientlist down to bare minimum (removed all spaces, made labels much shorter and thus more cryptic, etc.) and still get the flashing exclamation notice about low nvram.

gk802

Occasional Visitor
I have a RT-AC68U running the latest Merlin FW. I was also receiving the low nvram warning with only a few hundred bytes available. I didn't want to do a blind unset of all variables that were set to a null string. I created a text file of variables that can be unset...and built a script that reads that text file line by line and, if that variable is set to a null string, executes an unset for that variable. Since the script really only needs to be executed after each reboot, I added a services-start script that schedules the job to run at the top of the next hour (giving time for the router to stabilize after the reboot). The script unschedules itself upon completion. I've been able to gradually add to the list of variables that can be unset. I now have about 5kB free nvram.

node

Occasional Visitor
I too running the latest RT-AC68U Merlin firmware and getting the low NVRAM exclamation flashing. Check indeed low.
My issue is I am 4000 mile from my router and cannot do a factory reset and login back in to reconfigure. Attached is my NVRAM variables, can I wipe or move the heavy users out?

Attachments

• NVRAM output.txt
    400 bytes · Views: 126

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I too running the latest RT-AC68U Merlin firmware and getting the low NVRAM exclamation flashing. Check indeed low.
My issue is I am 4000 mile from my router and cannot do a factory reset and login back in to reconfigure. Attached is my NVRAM variables, can I wipe or move the heavy users out?
How low is "low". nvram usage doesn't change much once the router has been configured and is up and running. So unless your nvram usage is >99% it's probably safe to leave it. At least until a time when you're on site.

That said, it should be safe enough to clear down that largest nvram variable.
Code:
nvram set MULTIFILTER_TMP_T=""

node

Occasional Visitor
Thanks Colin, was a little more than 63K from the 65.2K, ran the code, now sitting at 52.2K. A significant gain. Thanks a mill.

node

rivera

Occasional Visitor
Is there any simple way to get a remaining size of NVRAM?
Surely I may use this way:
Code:
nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20
But I am only interested in size, not other details...
Running this command takes some time, I need something more fast & simple.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Code:
nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20
Code:
nvram show | grep ^size

glenw

New Around Here
Code:
Hi,
You could use a monitoring app to keep an eye on free memory. I use a simple little one called Algorius but have used PRTG in the past to do the same sort of thing. I just monitor a few devices and get email alerts if anything strange happens. You can choose what to monitor - only RAM if that's all you care about.

Attachments

• 2021-10-09 07_22_39-Clipboard.png
    2021-10-09 07_22_39-Clipboard.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 65

rivera

Occasional Visitor
You could use a monitoring app to keep an eye on free memory
I am using Home Assistant and getting some metrics from routers via SNMP.
Only getting NVRAM size caused some problems since my previous command took some time for execution.
Now it works much faster!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!