What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U AiMesh drops (Again)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ARamos

Occasional Visitor
First, I know that this is a subject, that have already discussed manytimes here on the forum, but I didn’t find any answers that could solve my AiMesh drops.

Here is the deal!

I have two Asus RT-AC68U, that I’m using to replaced my Internet provider router. Both are on original ASUS firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_41634 that is the last firmware available. There is a Beta one but I’m not using it.

One RT-AC68U “Main” is on my living room at ground floor, connected to the Internet Provider Fiber device converter, and it is working perfectly for a long time. Sometimes I reboot from time to time just because.

The other RT-AC68U “Secondary” is on my office at first floor, and it is setup as one AiMesh mode. The backhaul connection “Uplink Type” is on 5GHz Wi-Fi with the Connection Quality Great.

From time to time, the RT-AC68U on the office loses/drops the AiMesh connection to the Main router for a minute or two them it gets reconnected again.

I’m aware of the DFS channels situation, and traying to avoid this I have tested with the check box ON to include DFS channels, and also tested with the check box OFF to exclude DFS channels, and on both situation the AiMesh connection drops from time to time.

What I do find strange, is when the connection drops all the “Secondary” router lights including 5GHz are ON like if it was working perfectly. But when I use my mobile phone Wifi Analyzer App the signal from the AiMesh node simply have vanished, and I’m only able to see the Main router 5GHz signal (see first and second iamge) until it backs to connect after one to two minutes (see third image).

Checking the System Log - Wireless Log on the router, it doesn’t give me any extra information why the connection dropped.

I know the best it to use ethernet cable as backhaul connection, but at moment I’m not capable to use it, because I need to do some construction work at home that only be done at the end of this summer.

Any idea what can I check for to avoid this connection drop?

Thanks,
ARamos

Attachments

• img01.jpg
    img01.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 373
  • img02.jpg
    img02.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 300
  • img03.jpg
    img03.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 279
First, I know that this is a subject, that have already discussed manytimes here on the forum, but I didn’t find any answers that could solve my AiMesh drops.

Here is the deal!

I have two Asus RT-AC68U, that I’m using to replaced my Internet provider router. Both are on original ASUS firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_41634 that is the last firmware available. There is a Beta one but I’m not using it.

One RT-AC68U “Main” is on my living room at ground floor, connected to the Internet Provider Fiber device converter, and it is working perfectly for a long time. Sometimes I reboot from time to time just because.

The other RT-AC68U “Secondary” is on my office at first floor, and it is setup as one AiMesh mode. The backhaul connection “Uplink Type” is on 5GHz Wi-Fi with the Connection Quality Great.

From time to time, the RT-AC68U on the office loses/drops the AiMesh connection to the Main router for a minute or two them it gets reconnected again.

I’m aware of the DFS channels situation, and traying to avoid this I have tested with the check box ON to include DFS channels, and also tested with the check box OFF to exclude DFS channels, and on both situation the AiMesh connection drops from time to time.

What I do find strange, is when the connection drops all the “Secondary” router lights including 5GHz are ON like if it was working perfectly. But when I use my mobile phone Wifi Analyzer App the signal from the AiMesh node simply have vanished, and I’m only able to see the Main router 5GHz signal (see first and second iamge) until it backs to connect after one to two minutes (see third image).

Checking the System Log - Wireless Log on the router, it doesn’t give me any extra information why the connection dropped.

I know the best it to use ethernet cable as backhaul connection, but at moment I’m not capable to use it, because I need to do some construction work at home that only be done at the end of this summer.

Any idea what can I check for to avoid this connection drop?

Thanks,
ARamos

Maybe the hardware is wonky (signal drop, not connection drop), but I would do this:

1. Install the released beta firmware 9.0.0.4.386.41994, reset it (webUI Restore w/Initialize), configure the router from scratch and add the remote node.

2. Use different SSIDs per band and fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels as outlined in my install notes.

Try 2. first if you want, but running current firmware, properly installed is a first step.

OE

I have a similar setup - a pair of AC68U's - and had a similar problem. I tried different firmwares, nuclear resets, mesh and repeater configurations, a variety of different settings, switching the router and repeater, and swapping another router in to isolate the pairings. It turned out to be a hardware problem and I RMA'd the unit.

Having a spare router available can be very helpful.

I have a similar setup - a pair of AC68U's - and had a similar problem. I tried different firmwares, nuclear resets, mesh and repeater configurations, a variety of different settings, switching the router and repeater, and swapping another router in to isolate the pairings. It turned out to be a hardware problem and I RMA'd the unit.

Having a spare router available can be very helpful.

Yeah, it takes some messing around to be convinced the hardware is defective.

OE

Seems a common problem with some AC68U in mesh setup. I have just sent one back for refund as it couldn't stay up. Last timing was 20 hours but before that 6 days. Now testing a later model which seems more stable.

Thanks all for the replies,

Finally, I did have some time to mess with the system. I did the upgrade for the released beta firmware 9.0.0.4.386.41994 on both RT-AC68U, as suggested by OzarkEdge.
I did a complete factory reset on both by pressing the reset button on the back of the router.

I did a clean setup/configuration on both units. All went hell and the AiMesh system was working good for a while. But after 3 to 4 hours when I was on my office, I got disconnect form Internet, the AiMesh node was again with the same exact behavior that I have described before.

I think it is a hardware problem. My only concern is that both the two routers are out of warranty, and these routers weren’t cheap at least for my wallet. They should last longer no just 3 years.

Even though, I did contacted ASUS, exposing my situation, let’s what can they do to help me.

Regards,
ARamos

I dont think it is a hardware problem. It's a firmware node problem as I am having similar problems with my Alexa devices which stops audio streaming everywhere when one speaker disconnects. Let us know what Asus say?

1617408420655.png

Has anyone played with this setting in the 5ghz Professional settings?

I dont think it is a hardware problem. It's a firmware node problem as I am having similar problems with my Alexa devices which stops audio streaming everywhere when one speaker disconnects. Let us know what Asus say?
I will update once I get any feedback from ASUS.

After the fresh setup I didn't modify any extra configuration, at moment the two router are at defaults settings the Main/AiMesh node.

Does anyone recommend modify any extra configuration on the Wireless - Professional tab?

Attachments

• img01.jpg
    img01.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 281
I'm trying Merlin firmware Release 386.2. Wifi seems better so far.

Still didn't get any reply from ASUS.

So I have decided to give a try to the Merlin firmware Release 386.2 as posted above.

I have installed the Merlin firmware Release 386.2 on both RT-AC68U. Them I did a factory reset on both RT-AC68U using the reset button on the back.

The setup for the main router was exactly the same as the original ASUS firmware, nothing new.

The AiMesh node the setup was different, since on this firmware I didn't have the AiMesh option during the setup, I did setup as AP router. Them I have login on the AP router and modified Operation Mode to AiMesh.

Yesterday it was working perfectly, but today I did get the AiMesh node drop with the exact same behavior I have described before, all lights On like it is working perfectly and reconnects after 2 to 3 minutes.

The 5Ghz is working on non sensitive DFC channel Channel: 36/80.

Now I'm out of ideas what to test next!

I've had
1617658682145.png
without a drop on Merlin 386.2 but I think it is the Asus Mesh auto-optimising the connection because if you press Optimise in the Mesh tab the results are similar disconnect for 2-3 minutes. Why it is auto-optimising when the signal is "Great" is up to Asus to fix.

banger,

If someone could confirm that it really is due Asus Mesh auto-optimising, at least we could discard the hardware problem.

On my interface, when I press the Optimization Button the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz lights go off for half second and them back on. The optimization takes around 30 seconds.

If the drop is on the AiMesh node side, is there anyway to login on the AiMesh node to check any log? Or track any connection activity?

I have modified the Preferable Uplink AP to my main RT-AC68U instead of Auto. For the Backhaul Connection Priority I only have "Auto" or "1G WAN first" I have this on Auto since Wi-Fi is no available.

1617660249875.png

If the drop is on the AiMesh node side, is there anyway to login on the AiMesh node to check any log? Or track any connection activity?
I was wondering this as well. My theory about the Mesh optimising is just that a theory. I hope @RMerlin sees this thread and may comment.

So I have managed to use a temporary ethernet cable from the main router to the AiMesh node, and use it as backhaul connection instead Wi-Fi.

Unfortunatelym for me the Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz did drop two times, and on this two time it did take longer to the Wi-Fi become active.

On my conclusion is this is really a wardware problem.

Gues I need to buy a new one, maybe a different brand or a different solution. Still pondering!

I had 3 AC68Us. They have been running for more than a year in AP Mode without problems. (wired connections to all nodes)

When AIMesh 2.0 came out recently I wanted to try it out and I really liked the idea of only configuring only one router...but the web-interface of the main router became very slow, I had connection trouble and I needed another AP anyway. So I've bought an AC86U and was hoping to "fix" my AIMesh setup this way.... sadly I still had trouble with nodes disconnecting...

now back on AP-Mode: AC86U as main router, 3 AC68Us connected as APs.... everything looks good for about 4days now.... (with AIMesh, trouble started normally within a few hours).

so I'm not sure if my AC68Us have hardware problems?... for me, it looks more like an AIMesh/Firmware problem... anyway... before throwing money at it, maybe try AP mode first....

My main router has been up 3 days and 5ghz on the node as well but the 2.4ghz dropped today on the node.

I deed get feedback from ASUS support.

I have explained the Router's behavior and they give me this answer:
"Given the evidence presented, the symptoms refer to a failure in the hardware of the equipment. If you still have a warranty, we suggest that you activate it at the store / platform where the device was purchased."

I reply that the warranty time already have finished. I was hopping for a repair, paying for the repair service. And I get this.
"Unfortunately, Asus technical services do not repair this type of product. We greatly regret the situation and inconvenience caused"

Basically buy a new one!

At the end this AiMesh node drops 2 to 3 times per day. It is really a strange behavior, and I have tested a lot of configurations as per OzarkEdge notes/recommendations: Fixed channel bandwidth, Fixed Control Channel, DFS Channels Off etc etc. Also tested ASUS firmware and Merlin firmware.

I'm out of ideas. Just throw in the towel!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!