What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U and a Wireless DSL modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sir Patriot

Regular Contributor
Hi guys
I need help configuring my RT-AC68U.
I was using this device in default mode with a DSL modem connected by LAN but for some reasons I need to put this DSL modem in another room and connect it to the router by wifi.
Meanwhile I need to use my connected HDD over SAMBA and DLNA.
Is that possible? if yes how?
FYI I have tested repeater mode and media bridge mode but I could not figure out how they work completely. When I was using repeater mode I was unable to access my HDD and my DSL modem IP address was same as my Router (Both 192.168.1.1) and I only could access my DSL modem. to access my Router I had to turn of the DSL modem.
Please help me figure out how to do this.
Thanks in advance for your help

Can you put the modem into bridge mode?

That is what most people do when using a gateway with a router.

Last edited:
Probably not. What make and model is your modem?

Rather than use a wireless link a much better solution would be to connect the two devices using powerline adapters.

I'm using an old asus DSL modem. Maybe 10 years old.

What functions can I use when the router is on repeater mode?
I need some functions like USB sharing (SAMBA and DLNA)

I'm using an old asus DSL modem. Maybe 10 years old.
If you told us the exact model number we could look at the manual to see what features it has. The issue I see is stopping the clients accidentally connecting to the modem instead of the repeater.

What functions can I use when the router is on repeater mode?
I need some functions like USB sharing (SAMBA and DLNA)
I'm not 100% sure. Why don't you try it for yourself and find out?

If you told us the exact model number we could look at the manual to see what features it has. The issue I see is stopping the clients accidentally connecting to the modem instead of the repeater.

Asus WL-AM604G
About the issue, I do not want to use same SSID and I will connect all devices to the router's SSID.

I'm not 100% sure. Why don't you try it for yourself and find out?

I have tried but did not figure out how to use repeater mode and USB sharing at the same time!

OK I've just tried it for you on my network and it works fine.

You can use different SSID's on the repeater from the parent AP and the USB servers (Samba, etc.) still work as normal.

Bear in mind that your cable modem will now be providing your core networking functions like DHCP, DNS, firewall, port forwarding, VPN, etc. And as it says in the instructions, the IP address of the AC68U will change in repeater mode.

OK I've just tried it for you on my network and it works fine.

You can use different SSID's on the repeater from the parent AP and the USB servers (Samba, etc.) still work as normal.

Bear in mind that your cable modem will now be providing your core networking functions like DHCP, DNS, firewall, port forwarding, VPN, etc. And as it says in the instructions, the IP address of the AC68U will change in repeater mode.

Thanks
How did you access the router after configuration?!
When I set the router in repeater mode it connects me to the DSL modem with 192.168.1.1 IP address.

Thanks
How did you access the router after configuration?!
When I set the router in repeater mode it connects me to the DSL modem with 192.168.1.1 IP address.

As per the instructions:
In Repeater mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes. Install and use the Device Discovery Utility to get the wireless router's new IP address.
Or log into the DSL modem and look in its logs to find what IP address it has given to the repeater.