What's new

Asus RT-AC68U and WAN dropouts - SOLVED, not ASUS router - read later posts from me.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moooooooo

Occasional Visitor
Experienced sysadmin here - I'm running the latest Merlin 380.64_2 on the above router, but experienced disconnections in the Christmas week (19th December thru to Friday 23rd) WAN dropouts started as an annoyance and then every 15 minutes or sooner.

I am on FTTP here in NZ, the ONT (optical network terminator/termination) is in my loungeroom, no issues on 200/200 up/down Mb/s fibre for nearly a year, free upgrade to 1Gb/s down and 500 Mb/s up.... all good for a couple of months.

200/200 Mb/s i was using my old Fritzbox 7390 - solid, no issues. Once the gigabit plan happened, Fritz could only do 278/280 Mb/s down, but was fine with the increased upload speed and speedtest on the flash based site clocked me at 430Mb/s up. Sweet.

So i bought the Asus after a lot of research.

Anyway - WAN dropouts started happening after 2-3 months.
I googled that and others have had that too.

Issue is i need to be available 24/7 when i'm on call. Which is now.
Before Christmas i was getting WAN dropouts every 15 minutes.
It went away.
Same thing happened tonight.

Any thoughts?
I increased the PPP echo from 6 to 10, changed the error detection from 10 to 20.
No WAN restarts since.

Issue is though is that the WAN dropouts also happened on my old router and another more powerful enterprise router i have (using pfSense) - with pretty much default settings during the same Christmas period, pointing to an issue either with the ONT or where the fibre terminates.

Thoughts?
thanks in advance
peter

Last edited:
I am experiencing the same issue - but with dual WAN (PPPoE FTTC and PPPoE ADSL) on a RT-AC3200 firmware version 380.64_2

Once the firmware was updated, I cleared the NVRAM through a SSH session, rebooted and then proceeded to restore the configuration backup using the nvram-restore.sh tool.

Some disconnections are as frequent as every few minutes..but most are spaced between 1-2 hours apart. The ADSL line does drop carrier every now and then and I have excluded those incidents.

But it is the drops on the FTTC WAN connection that concern me. I normally use a Netgate 2440 PfSense appliance which does not experience these frequent disconnects.

The router also suddenly rebooted yesterday.

I am experiencing the same issue - but with dual WAN (PPPoE FTTC and PPPoE ADSL) on a RT-AC3200 firmware version 380.64_2

Some disconnections are as frequent as every few minutes..but most are spaced between 1-2 hours apart. The ADSL line does drop carrier every now and then and I have excluded those incidents.

But it is the drops on the FTTC WAN connection that concern me. I normally use a Netgate PfSense applicance which does not experience these disconnects.

The router also quite suddenly rebooted yesterday.

it's not the firmware imho
at least in my case - it's the ONT.
I have a good view of it from my lounge/couch/sofa but i see it first on my live streams when you get that fi'ng annoying buffering symbol and i glance down to the ONT and it's rebooting.

I'll update when i get a solution as i have tried a Sun X2200M2 running pfSense with capacity to spare and yep - WAN dropouts.
peter

My ISP has asked me to try a different power point for the ONT. A colleague of mine also suggested that too.
I'll see if i can put it on a different circuit once i check the fuse box to see what options i have.

well moving the ONT to a separate power circuit has proven successful. it's been six hours and i'm running exactly the same streams and apps as i was the other day when i had the issue and it also happened December 19th - 23rd.....all cool. Touch wood, knock on wood. I'll give it a day before i close the ticket with my ISP.

The fibre wholesaler, Chorus, replaced the power pack as it rebooted randomly again over the weekend and today. He said he'd replaced a lot of them. We'll see how that goes.

The replacement powerpack for the ONT has been fine since Wednesday 3pm - it's early am on Sunday 22nd and still no dropouts.
I'll edit the subject if i can as it's now obviously nothing to do with the ASUS router.