1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus RT-AC68U: Cannot update firmware, known issue?

Discussion in 'Routers' started by chasfh, Dec 31, 2019.

1. chasfh

chasfh New Around Here

I keep trying to update my firmware for my router and the process keeps getting terminated. This happens both on the ASUS Router app (see five screenshots below) and on my laptop. I am definitely online at the time, and it happens regardless of if my VPN is on or off.

Is this a known issue with a fix? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. chasfh

chasfh New Around Here

Here's a screenshot from my laptop. Again, I am connected to the Internet at this point.

Attached Files:

3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

What firmware version do you currently have?

Is your router a genuine Asus branded model or one from a cell-phone provider?

4. chasfh

chasfh New Around Here

5. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Try downloading the firmware from Asus' website and installing through the router's web interface (Administration - Firmware Upgrade) instead of the app.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

If you have any USB drives plugged into the router remove them first and reboot to free up memory before the install.

Sanna1967 likes this.
  6. chasfh

chasfh New Around Here

As it turns out, I tried again today and it happened to work just fine. So maybe it was a temporary glitch on the ASUS end.

Still, thanks for the tip.