What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.4164

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.4164
[Important]
If your firmware version is 3.0.0.4.380.2717 and used Facebook Wi-Fi, please DO NOT update to this version.
We will release another special version for Facebook Wi-Fi users soon.

Security related
- Updated OpenSSL library to 1.0.2j to fix security issues.
- Updated Dropbear SSH to 2016.74 to fixe security issues.
- Fixed a security vulnerability regarding XSS.
- Fixed a security vulnerability regarding CSRF.
- Added protection for Brute-force attack.

Bug fixed
- Fixed Chrome, Edge and IE compatibility issues.
- Fixed quick internet setting wizard compatibility issues.
- Fixed NAT issue caused by UPnP media server.
- Fixed dual wan issues in PPPoE or PPTP or L2TP + DHCP environment.
- Fixed AiCloud related issues.
- Fixed AP mode interoperability issues

Modified
- Updated NAT Acceleration setting help message.
- Supported Google DDNS support .
- Modified the Quick Internet Setting wizard behavior to enhance compatibility.
- Enabled smart sync under AP/Media Bridge/ Repeater mode.
- Supported new 3G/LTE USB dongle Docomo L-03D.

Thanks for the heads-up. I am going to test this release tonight.

Once again, Asus has made this upgrade more confusing than it has to be. From their web page https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC68P/HelpDesk_Download/ , you have to choose a computer operating system to proceed. If you choose MacOS, you do not see this firmware version. If you choose Windows 7 64-bit, you do see it. There are several other operating systems to choose from too.

This discrepancy has nothing to do with computer operating systems. It is Asus being sloppy and inconsiderate.

Thanks for the heads-up. I am going to test this release tonight.

Once again, Asus has made this upgrade more confusing than it has to be. From their web page https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC68P/HelpDesk_Download/ , you have to choose a computer operating system to proceed. If you choose MacOS, you do not see this firmware version. If you choose Windows 7 64-bit, you do see it. There are several other operating systems to choose from too.

This discrepancy has nothing to do with computer operating systems. It is Asus being sloppy and inconsiderate.
Its available for MacOS today when I checked Asus website, but NOT available when I check update within the router itself?
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Last edited:
It is my understanding that it's always best to select "Others" for the operating system when just looking for firmware. I'm guessing that the OS selection requirement is more for the other download categories I.E. Utilities.

I have installed 3.0.0.4.380.4164 without issues.
After a short test I have reverted the router to factory defaults and configured the router manually again, I like to be sure :)
My router use is straightforward, the only thing "special" is that there is a USB memory stick attached for easy file transfers around the house.
Sofar so good.

One note for Asus:
b/g Protection can still not be disabled.

Can any of you test Network Tools -> Network Analysis, pinging www.google.com for instance?

Neither ping nor traceroute is working on 4164 on my 68U. Was working previously on 3831.

Neither ping nor traceroute is working on 4164 on my 68U. Was working previously on 3831.

Thanks. That confirms what I suspected. 4164 broke it when Asus tightened security within the httpd server.

What is the driver version and dates please? TIA

Only thing I see changed is the date.

3831 firmware
6.37 RC14.126
wl0: Jul 6 2016 20:27:36 version 6.37.14.126 (r561982)

4164 firmware
6.37 RC14.126
wl0: Nov 2 2016 10:42:25 version 6.37.14.126 (r561982)

Only thing I see changed is the date.

3831 firmware
6.37 RC14.126
wl0: Jul 6 2016 20:27:36 version 6.37.14.126 (r561982)

4164 firmware
6.37 RC14.126
wl0: Nov 2 2016 10:42:25 version 6.37.14.126 (r561982)
Thanks, sometimes when the built date is changed there were tweaks implemented.

I tried all three tools ping, traceroute, nslookup with multiple domain names. Nothing worked. I also tried some numeric IP addresses. That did not work either.

Has asus no quality management. If a firmware is finished it will not be tested enough.
An example.
When the firmware is ready it goes to example 5 testers. All have different hardware configs. They have a list of how to test all functions. They have one or two weeks to test. If an error is found go back to the programming. And then again to the tests until everything works. Then it will be published.

That can not be difficult.

Has asus no quality management. If a firmware is finished it will not be tested enough.
An example.
When the firmware is ready it goes to example 5 testers. All have different hardware configs. They have a list of how to test all functions. They have one or two weeks to test. If an error is found go back to the programming. And then again to the tests until everything works. Then it will be published.

That can not be difficult.
Have you ever written, enhanced and modified rather complex pieces of software yourself?
Your simple solution works well in the ideal world with no planning deadlines, unlimitted budgets and unlimited resourses.
Despite "endless" and "total" testing software (thus firmware) will show problems during use in the wild.
The release date or "ready for use statement" of software is always a compromise as result of many variables.
Is Windows witout errors, is the Tesla witout errors, is your phone without errors, is your diary without typos?

Your simple solution works well in the ideal world with no planning deadlines, unlimitted budgets and unlimited resourses.

I can not agree with that. Merlin is alone and also fixes a lot of errors from Asus. Also new futures, and in his spare time.

Despite "endless" and "total" testing software (thus firmware) will show problems during use in the wild.

You can not test all the configurations. Thats true.
But Ping, traceroute is i think hardware independent.

I can not agree with that. Merlin is alone and also fixes a lot of errors from Asus. Also new futures, and in his spare time.

And I also release broken firmwares. Only today for example, 380.64 was released with an incorrect build of curl for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U, missing SSL support. This bug slipped in despite over two weeks of betatest by a few hundred testers. It happens.