What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U problems with FW: RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.35_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

regi100

New Around Here
ASUS RT-AC56U problems with FW: RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.35_2

hi all, dear merlin,

well true, must say of course thank you! first, cause i didnt ran into problems with your beloved fw RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.34_2.

till today.. my RT-AC56U wont boot anymore, just the only one blue light on the right side is on when booting and also after few seconds on the back, the connected lan and wan ports are light up. thats all nothing more..

well how did it get to this..
unfortunaltely i didnt restored to default setting before updating to the new fw RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.35_2 - after screen popup i was told to power off, as I did, but when powering on again, the rooter wont boot anymore.

tried 30-30-30 method with the reset and also with the wps button, also tried to tftpt to put the original ASUS fw again onto it, no success at all.

is there anything left i can do to rescue up my RT-AC68U from this?

many thanks and kind regards, chris

Attachments

• Foto 1.jpg
    Foto 1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
isnt that 56u in the pic? did u flash the wrong firmware?

ooops, no luckily not, just typed wrong model type fw versions.
i had fw RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.34_2 installed and tried to upgrade to RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_374.35_2.
i will just edit the post, sorry for beeing wrong..

Last edited:
There's a reset procedure that was posted a couple of times on the forums. I don't remember the actual order, you have to either power on with WPS pressed, wait 5 secs then release it and press reset for 5 secs then release it, or the other way around. After that, you should be able to use Asus's Firmware Recovery tool.

thank you merlin, tried so and many other ways of bringing up the revorery modes found in the www.
none of those worked and got me the router into the recovery mode - no blinking power led at all... :(

r.i.p. rt-ac56u

that seems odd, i would keep trying, if not ill pay for shipping and you can send it to me and ill try, lol.

thank you merlin, tried so and many other ways of bringing up the revorery modes found in the www.
none of those worked and got me the router into the recovery mode - no blinking power led at all... :(

r.i.p. rt-ac56u

In case you haven't tried this already, disconnect the WAN port, power off, and power on again.

I am suspecting a serious problem in the latest firmware version (.35_2) involving the WAN port. Just over a day after upgrading to .35_2 (complete settings re-init), my router started rebooting every 10 minutes or so. When I disconnect my WAN cable, it stabilised (no reboots). I tried setting my WAN connection to Static IP (my ISP uses DHCP, but my IP is effectively static), but that didn't help. The system log and time get re-initialised, so I can't see what happened just before the reboot.

I've downgraded to .34_2 and everything seems okay now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went the same upgrade path on my AC56U and it went without a glitch, however I found 374.35.2 problematic and rolled back to 34.2

This is the procedure I used to revive when mine went nuts:

HOW TO RECOVER YOUR ROUTER :
- power down the router
- press and hold the reset button
- power up while still pressing the reset button
- wait until front power LED starts slowly blinking, release the reset button

Now the router is in recovery mode.

On hardwired PC change NIC Settings to static IP address 192.168.1.10, default subnet 255.255.255.0

In your browser go again to 192.168.1.1

You should see recovery console, with options to clear NVRAM and flash FW firmware

Clearing NVRAM will reset your router

P.S. It took me few attempts to succeed; once you do get to recovery mode, I suggest you flash back 34.2

I went the same upgrade path on my AC56U and it went without a glitch, however I found 374.35.2 problematic and rolled back to 34.2

This is the procedure I used to revive when mine went nuts:

HOW TO RECOVER YOUR ROUTER :
- power down the router
- press and hold the reset button
- power up while still pressing the reset button
- wait until front power LED starts slowly blinking, release the reset button

Now the router is in recovery mode.

On hardwired PC change NIC Settings to static IP address 192.168.1.10, default subnet 255.255.255.0

In your browser go again to 192.168.1.1

You should see recovery console, with options to clear NVRAM and flash FW firmware

Clearing NVRAM will reset your router

P.S. It took me few attempts to succeed; once you do get to recovery mode, I suggest you flash back 34.2
Problematic in what sense? I upgraded my AC56U from 34.2 to 35.2 without a hitch, though I did not clear the NVRAM afterwards. I was thinking of clearing the NVRAM and reflashing 35.2 again this afternoon just as due diligence to make sure I get optimal performance. Is a NVRAM wipe even needed for the 34.2 to 35.2 upgrade?

I did a clean upgrade with NVRAM reset, and re-entered the settings afterwords...

- OpenVPN client did not work (using PIA VPN)
- 2.4GHz was unstable
- internet connection (VDSL PPPoE) was a bit weird - took multiple reboots

This morning I was thinking to myself: how come the same firmware flashed on the same hardware yields in such different results?
And this is not just about 374.35.2 - take any version of firmware - ASUS or Merlin - and you will see that on this very forum different people are having very different results.
And IMHO it is more than difference in unique wifi/RFI ecosystem each of these routers operates... another mystery of life I suppose...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!