What's new

Asus RT-AC68U rebooting several times a day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

helio58

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Sorry for the wrong title , should be ASUS RT-AC86U
Running AC68U Merlin 384.10
Having multiple reboots a day.
Have tried L&LD suggestion on factory reset multiple reboots minimal setup.
Now I have 2 wifi networks , one wired client.
Usb stick with amtm.
Before installing amtm on usb stick the rebooting happen.
I can't find the culpid.
I m attaching a log file. Maybe there is somebody that can see what i m doing wrong.
Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry for the wrong title , should be ASUS RT-AC86U

I was tempted to say in my reply that is so out of character for an RT-AC68U, but it wouldn’t have helped you. But you did say: “Have tried L&LD suggestion on factory reset multiple reboots minimal setup.”. Now that is not the same as saying, “I followed L&LD’s guide to the letter.” So, unless you reply that it was a poor choice of words and you did indeed follow the guide to the letter, I would think your best choice is to reset again and follow the guide religiously. If you do that and still have problems, I believe it would narrow down the possible causes considerably.

I was tempted to say in my reply that is so out of character for an RT-AC68U, but it wouldn’t have helped you. But you did say: “Have tried L&LD suggestion on factory reset multiple reboots minimal setup.”. Now that is not the same as saying, “I followed L&LD’s guide to the letter.” So, unless you reply that it was a poor choice of words and you did indeed follow the guide to the letter, I would think your best choice is to reset again and follow the guide religiously. If you do that and still have problems, I believe it would narrow down the possible causes considerably.
Thanks martinr, I have to admit I haven't followed L&LD’s guide to the letter.
I haven't unplug the router.
The reason is that I m not at home and will be away 3 more weeks.
Try to see if I can solved it remotely.
Thanks

Understood. Makes sense in that if you haven’t solved it in that period, you’ll be confident there’s no point wasting any more time: a reset will be all that’s left.

If it does come to that, do follow the guide. It’s been thoroughly tried and tested. And no short cuts. If short cuts worked, L&LD would have put them in his guide!

Hi same update, I haven't been at home, got one more week work.
But the interesting is that for 2 1/2 days ago the AC86U stop to reboot. Before it reboots 3-4 times a day.
I haven't do a thing.
Think this is odd.

Hi same update, I haven't been at home, got one more week work.
But the interesting is that for 2 1/2 days ago the AC86U stop to reboot. Before it reboots 3-4 times a day.
I haven't do a thing.
Think this is odd.
One thing worth checking, so you can rule it out, is the power supply. I was caught out recently by that; I failed to take my own advice and check the power supply, and it was indeed the cause of my problem. Not reboots, but drop-outs. So if you have a box full of mains adapters and can find one with the correct polarity, jack size, and power output, it is well worth trying. Also worth trying a different mains socket. At least you can then rule out one possible cause.

One thing worth checking, so you can rule it out, is the power supply. I was caught out recently by that; I failed to take my own advice and check the power supply, and it was indeed the cause of my problem. Not reboots, but drop-outs. So if you have a box full of mains adapters and can find one with the correct polarity, jack size, and power output, it is well worth trying. Also worth trying a different mains socket. At least you can then rule out one possible cause.
What can be wrong with a mains socket? If a powerful 2kW/10A device like vacuum cleaner or hair drier running on it a 15W router cant have any problem IMO.
And if it does there is nothing wrong with socket but only power adapter (maybe not filtering high frequencies from a PLC)!

What can be wrong with a mains socket? If a powerful 2kW/10A device like vacuum cleaner or hair drier running on it a 15W router cant have any problem IMO.
And if it does there is nothing wrong with socket but only power adapter (maybe not filtering high frequencies from a PLC)!
What can be wrong with a mains socket? In the UK, my home, very little. In the Middle East, for example, where I currently have the great misfortune to be visiting right now, a great deal could be wrong. I’ve no idea where the OP lives and what the standards of domestic mains distribution are.

What can be wrong with a mains socket? In the UK, my home, very little. In the Middle East, for example, where I currently have the great misfortune to be visiting right now, a great deal could be wrong. I’ve no idea where the OP lives and what the standards of domestic mains distribution are.
I dont mean mains supply fluctuating or spikes but socket itself with indoor cabling as you wrote, what shall be wrong with them for that few mA a router needing for supply.

I dont mean mains supply fluctuating or spikes but socket itself with indoor cabling as you wrote, what shall be wrong with them for that few mA a router needing for supply.
Yes, the socket itself. I recently had replace a socket that disintegrated in the ambient heat . It literally fell apart as a plug was withdrawn and the brass contacts shorted and tripped the supply. I’ve also got examples where the brass contacts have spread so the plug breaks contact under the weight of the cable. But this is in the Middle East. In the UK, such things would never happen.

This is now way off topic, but if you want to appreciate the standards that wiring regulations bring to places like the UK, go visit places like the Middle East!

A couple of things come to mind. 1) Large appliance plugs seem to be built for a tighter fit in the socket, and 2) The weight of the wallwart adapter tends to pull the plug out of the socket if on a vertical wall.

Checking it is free. Don't discount the obvious solutions.

I live in Stockholm,Sweden.

I live in Stockholm,Sweden.
Good man! I’ll bet your domestic electrics are as sound as the UK’s. Nevertheless, as dlandiss pointed out, double check it anyway. It’s something that can then be crossed off the list - and it stops someone coming along later saying, “ Have you checked .....?”

Having been caught out recently with a dodgy power supply, I hope the lesson I should have learned lasts a while and I stop taking things for granted!

Good man! I’ll bet your domestic electrics are as sound as the UK’s. Nevertheless, as dlandiss pointed out, double check it anyway. It’s something that can then be crossed off the list - and it stops someone coming along later saying, “ Have you checked .....?”

Having been caught out recently with a dodgy power supply, I hope the lesson I should have learned lasts a while and I stop taking things for granted!
Problem solved. You was right martinr the power supply was connect to a UPS socket. change to a regular socket. Have worked for 24 hours without reboots :)

Problem solved. You was right martinr the power supply was connect to a UPS socket. change to a regular socket. Have worked for 24 hours without reboots :)
I hope it is indeed solved, but these things have a habit of waiting until you’ve told everyone it solved and then they return. It’s like the double-slit experiment: observation changes the outcome. But if it really is fixed, it’s a stroke of luck because it was a UPS power supply that caused my little problem only a few days earlier, so the possibility of dodgy power was fresh in my mind, otherwise I might not have thought of it.

I hope you really have solved it: much better it’s the power supply than a random, obscure hardware fault that’s impossible to pin down, let alone diagnose or fix.

Thanks for the feedback.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!