What's new

Asus RT-AC68U setup with Huawei B618 LTE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CTV

Occasional Visitor
I have Huawei B618 LTE router (moved over from ADSL) which I wish to connect it to an Asus RT-AC68U wireless router I am yet to purchase. The reason for this setup is the fact that this particular Asus router has a Traffic Analyzer feature within the ASUSWRT firmware which allows one to get detailed information on all the connected devices, connections and bandwidth usage.

I see most people who have used the Asus RT-AC68U with separate xDSL modems, have opted to configure the modem in bridge mode to let the Asus do everything. From what I can see, the Huawei (even though it is a LTE router and not xDSL) does not have the option to be set up in bridge mode.

If I connect one of the Huawei's LANs to I assume should be the WAN on the ASUS, should I leave the Huawei's DCHP on to assign an IP to the Asus, or make it static with a small /30 internal IP range subnet between the two, and in turn have the Asus' DCHP (perhaps another subnet?) handle client connections as everything will be connecting wireless? Will this setup result in double NAT-ing? Also, will this setup allow the traffic analyzer to work as intended as in theory it should be monitoring connected clients' traffic going through the Asus' WAN interface.

If I have this all wrong and should set this up differently, please advise. Thank you in advance.

I’m not familiar with the Hauwei but unless you connect a modem in bridge mode to the RT-AC68 then things like IPTV are unlikely to work.

Have you considered the DSL-AC68? This has a modem inbuilt and may better serve your needs. The downside with this is that there is no WRT Merlin firmware for this model so you are stuck with Asus’s stock firmware.

Another option is to buy a modem and run it in bridge mode. I do this with a Vigor 130 paired with an RT-AC68 and it all works well.

HB

I have a Gateway/Router that is bridged and IPTV, IPHONES, INTERNET works greate.