What's new

Asus RT-AC68U Slow WiFi (Fast Ethernet)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kyle Heath

New Around Here
Hey everyone,
I've been having some issues with my Asus RT-AC68U Router lately. My internet speed is 300/100 and through ethernet I get really good speeds, but with my wifi, I get speeds anywhere from 10-30. I'm not sure if it's a router problem or a setting problem. I just flashed my firmware to the latest version of Merlin. Haven't changed any settings just setup 2.4 and 5 ghz networks. I currently have 2 iphones, a firestick, and my ps4 connected to my Wifi. The ps4 is actually running through powerline adapters, so it's connected through ethernet, but even that only gets speeds of about 30-40. Anyone have some tips on how to improve my speed or is anyone else having issues with this router?

Thanks!

Do you have cable internet or DSL?
i know that with cable, you share your speeds with subscribers in your area. Usually with cable, slow connections starts after work hours once everyone is home from work or school. DSL is slower for the most part, but it's constant as you don't share your speed with anyone as you have a dedicated connection.

Do you have cable internet or DSL?
i know that with cable, you share your speeds with subscribers in your area. Usually with cable, slow connections starts after work hours once everyone is home from work or school. DSL is slower for the most part, but it's constant as you don't share your speed with anyone as you have a dedicated connection.

It's cable internet through Spectrum. I just use their internet service, not TV or Phone. I'm not sure if that's the problem though, because the WiFi is always slow, its never the Ethernet cable connection. I get between 300-400 mbs download speed on my desktop, but on my laptop or phone or ps4, the WiFi is always around 10-30. This is only on the 2.4 Ghz. I tested the 5 Ghz and if I stand right next to the router i get the same speeds as on my desktop. I just can't use the 5 Ghz throughout my home as it's spotty through the walls. So I'm guessing its just a 2.4 Ghz issue. I should be getting faster speed than 10-30 MB when my plan is a 300/100.

Well, some wireless devices are not capable of achieving more than 40-50 Mbps on 2.4 ghz wifi. Have you tried using newer devices?
I'm thinking is a limitation on your wireless adapters and not an issue with the router.

I get more than 50 Mbps on my iphone 6+ on 2.4 ghz.

You can also try changing the channel.. 1, 6 or 11 as you may be using a channel that's too congested causing interference...also, make sure wireless mode is set to N.

Well, some wireless devices are not capable of achieving more than 40-50 Mbps on 2.4 ghz wifi. Have you tried using newer devices?
I'm thinking is a limitation on your wireless adapters and not an issue with the router.

I get more than 50 Mbps on my iphone 6+ on 2.4 ghz.

You getting 50 Mbps on your iphone 6+ tells me something is wrong with mine. I'm only getting that 10-30 Mbps and I have an Iphone 8 +

You can also try changing the channel.. 1, 6 or 11 as you may be using a channel that's too congested causing interference...also, make sure wireless mode is set to N.

This is what I have right now. I can change auto to N and try that. I was on channel 2 and I'm trying 11 but it's about the same.
upload_2019-7-8_19-9-5.png

Go to the Wireless tab in the settings... then go to the Site Survey tab... it will tell you your wireless connections around you and their channels... based on that list, use the least channel used between 1 6 and 11.. don't use any other except one of those 3.

Go to the Wireless tab in the settings... then go to the Site Survey tab... it will tell you your wireless connections around you and their channels... based on that list, use the least channel used between 1 6 and 11.. don't use any other except one of those 3.

Alright I checked it out and 1 person is on 1 and 1 person is on 11. 2 people are on 6. So I'll stay on 11 for a while and change auto to N to see if that helps. Do you know what the optimized for xbox checkbox does? I wonder if that will help with my ps4 speeds?

Not sure what that does as I don't have a PS4, but give it a go and see if it helps :)

Also.. I've heard that doing speed tests on a PS4 are not reliable.. so take those speed results with a grain of salt.

So it sounds like you are zeroing in on 2.4 GHz as being the problem? You tested with "something" at 5 GHz standing near the router and got great results. Can you test with that same "something" at 2.4 GHz standing near the router and see what you get?

Couple thoughts;
  • Old cordless phones and baby monitors (that use 2.4 GHz)?
  • Turn off all your 2.4 GHz devices and turn them back on one by one starting with the closer ones.
    • A "distant" 2.4 GHz device on edge of the signal can pull everyone down.
    • So can a "crappy" device.
  • Look at your Asus wireless settings:
    • Some Asus routers will let you turn off support for b,g. If you don't need it try getting rid of it. (Look for "N only" / uncheck b/g protection.)
    • Look at channel control. You get to choose 1 - 11. Because of channel overlap many will say you effectively only have channels 1, 6 & 11. If, for example, you and a close neighbor are both using, say, channel 6 that can pull you down. Setting it to "Auto" will often fix it.
      • If not try running a WiFi Analyzer. That will usually show up channel conflicts/contention and you might be able to get around it by manually selecting a channel.
EDIT: So while I was typing & sipping beer Kyle and Macster pretty much nailed things so you can ignore my ramblings. (You could take a look at the signal levels of the neighbors using channel 1 & 11. If channel 1 is higher [being worse] it might be worth changing to it.)

Last edited:
Haven't checked out the PS4 yet but I just got between 50-60 Mbps on my phone from changing those settings! We will see if it lasts. Thanks man!

Also, try disabling Universal Beamforming per band, if present under advanced wireless settings.

You should also inspect the connection stats on your wireless clients to actually determine at what link rate they are connecting... this determines how fast the client can transmit, and hence, your likely Internet speed test results.

OE

Why am I not seeing a Site Survey tab? I'm a few firmware versions behind...
2019-07-13 (2).png

Why am I not seeing a Site Survey tab? I'm a few firmware versions behind...View attachment 18629

Have you rebooted your router? Have you tried using a different browser? Have you tried clearing the browser cache?

If you just upgraded from the 3.0.0.4.380.7378 firmware version in your signature, I would suggest a full reset to factory defaults and then a minimal and manual configuration to secure your router and connect to your ISP (do not use a saved backup config file).

See the link in my signature for further links to get your router back to a good/known state.

Have you rebooted your router? Have you tried using a different browser? Have you tried clearing the browser cache?

If you just upgraded from the 3.0.0.4.380.7378 firmware version in your signature, I would suggest a full reset to factory defaults and then a minimal and manual configuration to secure your router and connect to your ISP (do not use a saved backup config file).

See the link in my signature for further links to get your router back to a good/known state.
thank you. Don't suppose your advice re factory reset with new SSID names would be different if upgraded from 3.0.0.4.384.32799? [Factory resets are never simple for me; sometimes hard to find the Asus again to create new Settings; even connecting ethernet to LAN port.] Signature had lapsed as well as my mind. Updated my signature to reflect my Asus is behind a Fios Quantum G1100, needed for my wife's obsession with Fios TVOne service; so she can use voice command of remote. I'll reboot the ONT, then the Fios Quantum, then Asus; see if that helps. Have only done the GUI Reboot of the Asus so far.
Probably not seeing a Site Survey tab cuz not using Merlin, yes?

thank you. Don't suppose your advice re factory reset with new SSID names would be different if upgraded from 3.0.0.4.384.32799? [Factory resets are never simple for me; sometimes hard to find the Asus again to create new Settings; even connecting ethernet to LAN port.] Signature had lapsed as well as my mind. Updated my signature to reflect my Asus is behind a Fios Quantum G1100, needed for my wife's obsession with Fios TVOne service; so she can use voice command of remote. I'll reboot the ONT, then the Fios Quantum, then Asus; see if that helps. Have only done the GUI Reboot of the Asus so far.
Probably not seeing a Site Survey tab cuz not using Merlin, yes?

You're welcome. :)

If coming from stock Asus firmware to RMerlin, I would recommend a full reset without using a backup config file (minimal and manual), yes. :)

When doing a whole network reboot, make sure that you physically unplug power from both the wall and the network devices and also remove any LAN/WAN Ethernet cables too and leave the whole network down for at least 10 minutes (some ISP's require 20 minutes or more from experience, to fully reset the connection to the site). Afterward, power up as you've indicated already; modem/ONT, wait 5 minutes, router, wait five to ten minutes, switches and then all the wired devices (no wait required).

Be sure you connect the LAN cables between the equipment you're powering up just before doing so. ;)

I think that the Site Survey is in stock Asus firmware (can't really remember as I don't use the router at all at stock). If it's not there, an M&M Config (or possibly a Nuclear Reset) would be my suggestion.

You're welcome. :)
I think that the Site Survey is in stock Asus firmware (can't really remember as I don't use the router at all at stock). If it's not there, an M&M Config (or possibly a Nuclear Reset) would be my suggestion.
Site Survey is for sure NOT in Asus stock firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!