What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U USB tethering not working with Galaxy S8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Saiber77

New Around Here
I can't seem to get my Galaxy S8 to tether with this, it recognizes "Android_mobile" on the network status page but just says "Cable disconnected" on the WAN status. If I toggle usb tethering on the phone it shows the network settings for a brief second "192.168.43.2" but then immediately goes back to "cable disconnected".

I've tried with various firmwares, including stock and merlin, as well as merlin beta. DD-WRT seems to have an out of the box iPhone tethering option but requires a lot of linux commands and trial and error to get a USB modem type connection, haven't seen anything yet about "Android phone" tethering with dd-wrt.

My friend has the same router working with a different android phone, and I can confirm that this isn't a bunk router because it behaved the same on his router when I tested it with my phone. If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance!

I'm encountering the same issue as saiber77. Getting 'cable disconnected' when trying to use Samsung Note 8 with USB-C. However, if i use a Samsung Prime J-3 that uses a MicroUSB, it works fine. I was hoping by upgrading my connected phone will help boost my signal/data processing speed.

Hey I just found this pretty recent thread and wanted to add my commentary in the hopes to get lucky with my tethering problems which sound similar -

I have an ASUS RT-AC3200 router, newest firmware and it will not tether correctly with my Samsung Galaxy S8 or new Moto Z4 both Android 9. My old Moto Z Force Android 8 works perfect when tethering but it's battery life is pretty bad so I upgraded and still kept it around for the kids. I verified the router is setup to use "Android Phone" option for WAN, I have also tried "USB Modem" with no difference. I have tried to reboot the cell phone and router devices 100x times, enabled android developer options>usb tether as default, enabled android debug mode (just throwing slime at the wall I have no idea whats up). No matter what, the router does not negotiate a WAN IP address with the cell phone. In the router network map page, under "internet status" I can choose " WAN internet connection" and toggle that on/off and the WAN IP address is stuck at 0.0.0.0. With my working Moto Z Force, once I enabled tethering on it, the router will usually pick up an IP address right away, or if I toggle the WAN on/off, it will pick one up as well, but my Samsung S8 and Moto Z4 do nothing, there's not even an error message.

All tethering options that I can find are the same across all cell phones, default, like DHCP client IP address starts at 192.168.43.2. Both the Samsung S8 and Moto Z4 work flawlessly tethered to a Dell E5450 laptop running Windows 10 latest.

So I dunno what the deal is, I feel like it is something with Android 9 or some settings. My Moto Z4 has a developer option for "Use hardware accelerated tethering when available" and I toggled that a few times between reboots and it did nothing.

It sucks because we just moved to a new house and 4G internet is our only real option, so would be nice to have everything connect up to my fancy router rather than collect dust.

Tethering has never worked correctly on Asus Routers historically. I have tried Rt-ac68u, Rt-ac86u, Rt-ac88u and even current Rt-ax88u. Pure cowdung experience when it comes to tethering.

I had success with a 68U tethered to Pixel 3a running Android 10 recently. The router was running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware version 384.13.

Those having issues what firmware are you using?

I too am having this same issue with my S8Plus SMG955U. I did a bit of research and found this page about an issue with the S7 (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s..._beta3-rt-ac3100-with-partial-solution.44599/)

I'm not certain that it's the same issue, as my S8Plus is NOT showing anything in eth3, but I can confirm that this worked with my S10+

I also reviewed the syslog.log and didn't see anything revealing. Is there another log I should be looking at?

If anyone knows how to work around the S8+, please let me know.

I had success with a 68U tethered to Pixel 3a running Android 10 recently. The router was running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware version 384.13.

Those having issues what firmware are you using?

My Asus AC3200 is running the latest firmware from december 2019 Version 3.0.0.4.382.51939 and my Moto Z4 that doesnt work is on Android 9. I think the verdict is still out whether or not Android 10 is going to be developed for my mid-range moto z4.

I switched back to my Moto Z Force running Android 8 and tethering is working great. My battery life just kind of sucks

I too am having this same issue with my S8Plus SMG955U. I did a bit of research and found this page about an issue with the S7 (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s..._beta3-rt-ac3100-with-partial-solution.44599/)

I'm not certain that it's the same issue, as my S8Plus is NOT showing anything in eth3, but I can confirm that this worked with my S10+

I also reviewed the syslog.log and didn't see anything revealing. Is there another log I should be looking at?

If anyone knows how to work around the S8+, please let me know.

I tried my GF's Samsung Galaxy S8 with android 9 with my Asus AC3200 and it did not work. The router would almost never detect the phone when plugged into the router via USB. Sorry I know that is not your exact scenario just my 2 cents.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!