What's new

Asus RT-AC68U v3.0.0.4.384.20942 2018/05/21

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@arthurlien:
and another curious thing:
roaming assistent is set per default after a factory reset for 2,4G to -55dbm and for 5G to -70dbm.
If you deactivate 2,4G and activate it later again it will be set to -70dbm too, same as 5G.

So why, first time -55 after factory reset and later you will see only -70 for both ???

Same on 68U and 86U with 20942 and in previous versions I saw it too.
Yes you could change it back to -55, but nobody will remember this or recognice at all.
And I wonder if both values are good settings?!?

Issue Collection for RT-AC68U
1. Media Bridge crashed
2. If you deactivate 2,4G and activate it later again it will be set to -70dbm too, same as 5G

@arthurlien
please add for 86U maybe only chinese/international version as others doesnt have this problem:

3.) Changes in Wifi channel or bandwith do not apply without reboot or de-/reactivate Wifi or SSH command 'service restart_wireless' (maybe only a problem on chinese/international versions with changeable region setting)

@arthurlien
please add for 86U maybe only chinese/international version as others doesnt have this problem:

3.) Changes in Wifi channel or bandwith do not apply without reboot or de-/reactivate Wifi or SSH command 'service restart_wireless' (maybe only a problem on chinese/international versions with changeable region setting)

[Only for RT-AC86U]
Do you disabled the smart connect? Do you change the setting by WebUI ?

[Only for RT-AC86U]
Do you disabled the smart connect? Do you change the setting by WebUI ?
yes as you must disable smart connect, otherwise all is auto-selected and you cannot change any channel/bandwith settings!
all is done on WebUI, would be hard work to do it manually with SSH.

Last edited:
yes as you must disable smart connect, otherwise all is auto-selected and you cannot change any channel/bandwith settings!
all is done on WebUI, would be hard work to do it manually with SSH.

Do you test in 20946 @ RT-AC86U ?

Do you test in 20946 @ RT-AC86U ?

No in 20942 @ RT-AC86U (chinese/international version with changeable region setting)

And please add:
4.) for both 68U and 86U: sometimes WebUI hangs with white screen, SSH 'service restart_httpd' will make it responsive again. Mostly after changing Wifi-settings (channel, bandwith or something there), new tab in firefox doesnt help, only SSH command and a second later page refreshes in GUI.

No in 20942 @ RT-AC86U (chinese/international version with changeable region setting)

And please add:
4.) for both 68U and 86U: sometimes WebUI hangs with white screen, SSH 'service restart_httpd' will make it responsive again. Mostly after changing Wifi-settings (channel, bandwith or something there), new tab in firefox doesnt help, only SSH command and a second later page refreshes in GUI.

I tested in 20942 and it worked normal. (channel/bandwidth issue)

Just disabled it. I'll report back either way.

So with this disabled will mobile devices no longer be steered to the best router but devices connected in Bridge mode style not get dropped?

If this is the case, what's the point of AiMesh? I may as well just set the modes up as bridges..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I just mentioned disabling RA to see if it resolves the client disconnection issue. If it does, then the proper fix is to fine-tune the RA threshold. Try lowering the threshold by adding another -5dBm. I'm not sure it actually does anything until you reboot. BTW, you're right - disabling Roaming Assistance will make AiMesh pointless - at least on that band. I keep it off on my 2.4Ghz band since it is mainly supporting some smart devices on my Guest net (thermostats, controllers, cameras). Some of them are very far from the main router. This seemed to improve their reliability.

You might get a better idea on the setting by checking the wireless log to see what the client's current RSSI value is. You might need to refresh a few times if it is currently disconnected.

I tested in 20942 and it worked normal. (channel/bandwidth issue)
please test it more often with more Wifi-networks from 2 routers, it is not always, if you're testing and changing it more often it will happen sometimes.
Maybe not on only one device but if you have 2 routers and after changing Wifi you will loose connection and maybe connect to the other router, and maybe only then it will hang, cant tell it better.
It is an issue seen by more people than me, I have configured them both in AP mode, so connection via Wifi, LAN and WAN (over other routers Wifi) possible.

I just mentioned disabling RA to see if it resolves the client disconnection issue. If it does, then the proper fix is to fine-tune the RA threshold. Try lowering the threshold by adding another -5dBm. I'm not sure it actually does anything until you reboot. BTW, you're right - disabling Roaming Assistance will make AiMesh pointless - at least on that band. I keep it off on my 2.4Ghz band since it is mainly supporting some smart devices on my Guest net (thermostats, controllers, cameras). Some of them are very far from the main router. This seemed to improve their reliability.

You might get a better idea on the setting by checking the wireless log to see what the client's current RSSI value is. You might need to refresh a few times if it is currently disconnected.

Thus far I have seen no changes but from what you said, I need to reboot all routers to see if there's a change?

Where in the logs does one look for current RSSI values?

Thus far I have seen no changes but from what you said, I need to reboot all routers to see if there's a change?

Where in the logs does one look for current RSSI values?

I'm not sure a reboot is necessary, but I know that some settings only take affect after a reboot. I'd only do the main router.
Check System Logs/Wireless Log. Unfortunately only those clients directly connecting to the main router will be logged. I don't know how to see the RSSI for node clients.

Last edited:
Hi arthurlien

Where we can find this version ? I check by router gui but no new fw
he meant 20942 just mistyping 20946.

@arthurlien
just happened again, lost WebUI on 68U after changing channel, ssh restart httpd and fine again.

They both 100 times reset, factory, initialize and so on!
Use last Firefox 60.0.1 but if it happens there is no way in other browsers too.

he meant 20942 just mistyping 20946.

@arthurlien
just happened again, lost WebUI on 68U after changing channel, ssh restart httpd and fine again.

They both 100 times reset, factory, initialize and so on!
Use last Firefox 60.0.1 but if it happens there is no way in other browsers too.
Your test condition
1. Wi-Fi connectivity
2. Firefox 60.0.1
3. After issue happened, the WebUI can't be opened anymore, even though other browsers.
4. The issue can be solved after https restarted by ssh command.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

Your test condition
1. Wi-Fi connectivity
2. Firefox 60.0.1
3. After issue happened, the WebUI can't be opened anymore, even though other browsers.
4. The issue can be solved after https restarted by ssh command.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送
1. Wifi yes, but maybe over on or other router (they both in AP-mode connected over WAN)
2.-3. correct
4. it is solved with SSH enter command 'service restart_httpd', same moment browser will show router GUI again.
5. most times it happens after changes in Wifi settings (channel, bandwith)

Others here showed me the way, before I had to reboot to access router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!