What's new

Asus RT-AC86U Constantly losing connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wardagainstrouters

New Around Here
My Asus RT-AC86U will consistently lose connectivity, both its lan ports and wifi. On the network map page it waill say "Internet status: Not Connected" It occurs about 2-3 times a week, seemingly randomly. I am using sonic fiber internet and it works fine if I hook up the ONT directly to my PC. ~18 devices connected in total
Asus stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42643

Some notes.

1. I did not have any issues when using the sonic supplied router with the same devices connected
  2. Rebooting the router or seemingly unplugging/replugging the ethernet cable will fix the issue
  3. I tried different cables and it does not appear to be a cable issue.
  4. I tried changing the primary WAN but it was causing some very slow speed so I have not full debugged that at the moment.

I have not tried doing a full reboot yet. I don't see anything of note in the logging but I am not entirely sure...I don't even see an option to set log levels...

Below is the logging around the disconnect:

ug 28 19:15:06 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth6: Disassoc AB:12:CD:34:45:DF, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Aug 28 19:15:06 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth6: Disassoc AB:12:CD:34:45:DF, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Aug 28 19:15:06 kernel: bcm_mcast_mld_add:833 mc_fdb->rep_list ffffffc014d8dba8 next ffffffc013a59460 prev ffffffc013a59460 rep_entry->list ffffffc013a59460 next ffffffc014d8dba8 prev ffffffc014d8dba8
Aug 28 19:17:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth5: Deauth_ind AB:12:CD:34:45:DF, status: 0, reason: Disassociated due to inactivity (4), rssi:0
Aug 28 19:17:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth5: Disassoc AB:12:CD:34:45:DF, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Aug 28 19:18:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): eth5: Deauth_ind ZA:12:CD:34:45:DF, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
Aug 28 19:18:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(508): eth5: Disassoc ZA:12:CD:34:45:DF, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0

The only noticeable thing is one of my wifi devices cycling through Auth/Assoc/Deauth_ind/Disassoc dozens of times AFTER the connection has gone down, and then it stops trying. Thinking of trying to do a clean install of merlin

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

I don't even see an option to set log levels...
Thats on the system page, general tab, right above the log window.

It sounds like your router is dropping/unsyncing the connection to the WAN link. Those wlceventd notices aren't telling us much about the cause. Are you running any add ons or scripts? Vlans, iptv? Intersting log re: bcm_mcast , but I'm getting into areas way beyond my expertise...

Anyway, run your full reboot and see if that fixes it, often that cures many unexplained issues.

First I would upgrade to 386.44470 Asus firmware. Do a hard factory reset and manually configure. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/ Then do a power cycle. I know it seems like a lot but may be worth a try. Replacing the ONT to WAN cable with a new one might also be a good idea.

Late replay, thank you for the updates all. I tried yet another ethernet cable and it seemed stable up until today.

In this case, when I check the router settings, the connection says "CONNECTED", but none of the clients have internet access. It seems a quick way to fix it is to unplug and replug the cable for the wan port...does anyone know why?

I don't know why, but you can also try putting in a cheap ($10) switch between the modem and the router. Unbelievably (but stranger things have happened), it may fix this.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!