What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U died. Does installing a asuswrt-merlin driver breach warranty?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lauge

Occasional Visitor
Hey everyone.

I've got a ASUS RT-AC86U back in september.

A month or two ago it stopped working. After un- and replugging it (i was vacuuming), it got caught in a perpertual boot loop.
I tried to fix it by using the ASUS firmware restoration software. I found the appropriate firmware and tried to install it using a lan cable. Whenever i sucessfully installed the firmware, it told me (iirc) that it would reboot once the firmware was installed. It did not specify for me to wait for a certain amount of time. I gave it about an hour to reboot, but it never did.

Maybe i was impatient? Does it need several hours? Anyways, i tried reinstalling the firmware 4 times, but i was not succesful. After each install it would not reboot, and when i rebooted it manually it would go back into the boot loop.

Feeling creative, i tried installing the corresponding merlin firmware. However, after this reboot, only lan port 4 (the one i used for the installation) would light up. Now it won't reset no matter how long i press the reset button or the WPS button (while unplugging and plugging). I've both tried to leave it turned off for weeks and turned on for more than a day. But it's completely unresponsive.

So obviously the device (firmware, whatever) was, and is, broken. I have not told my retailer that i tried installing the merlin firmware, but i've told them every other bit of the story. Based on the information i've given them, they have offered to repair it. My worry now is that i won't even get a repair because they can "see" that i installed the merlin firmware as a last ditch effort and thus voiding the warranty.

My retailer states that i will have to pay for any expenses regarding the repair if it turns out that i "voided the warranty". It feels pretty shirtty that i both will have to shell out for a unit that breaks after 5 months, while not getting a repair AND paying for the shipping and inspection fee.

Can anyone here tell me if my warranty still holds or if it's done for? Do you have any clue whether the repairmen will be able to access the software at all, since it is unresponsive? Or do you have any advice if i can fix the router myself?

A little wrap up of possible actions:

There are multiple ways to clear NVRAM (hard reset) of the router:

1. Preferred method (the router must startup correct and you must know the login credentials):
    • Access the router configuration pages.
    • Select: Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting
    • Hit Factory default: Restore
  2. If you cannot access the router configuration pages (the router must startup correct and the firmware must support this):
    • While the router is on: press the reset button for more than 5 seconds.
    • Give the router about 5 minutes to start up again.
    • Power down the router and start it up again.
  3. If the router fails to start properly (this method uses a router bootloader function and shall work as long as there is no hardware fault):
    • Turn off the router.
    • Press and hold the WPS button.
    • Turn on the router.
    • Wait about 10 seconds.
    • Release the WPS button.
After any of the above actions:
  • Access the router at the default IP address 192.168.1.1 and admin/admin
  • You shall get the router configuration wizard.
  • Manual configure the router again (do NOT load an old configuration backup file).

Recovery mode:

1. Have a firmware file available, ending with the extension .trx
  2. Power down the router.
  3. Remove USB memory devices (if any).
  4. Press and hold the reset button, at the same time power up the router.
  5. Wait for slow flashing Power LED.
  6. Release the reset button.
  7. Set your computer to a fixed IP address, such as 192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0.
  8. Hardwire your computer to a LAN port of the router.
  9. Start the Firmware Restoration utility.
  10. Follow the instructions to locate the firmware file and start the installation.
  11. Wait for the Firmware Restoration utility to finish.
  12. Access the router at the default IP address 192.168.1.1 and admin/admin
  13. Manual configure the router again (do NOT load an old configuration backup file).
  14. Optional: delete the wireless connection profiles on your computers and connect again.
Note:
After step 8 you can also start a web browser and open http://192.168.1.1
This shall open the ASUSTeK - CFE miniWeb Server, from there you can Upload a Firmware File, Reboot or Restore default NVRAM values.

In addition to post #2, be aware that newer models of the RT-AC86U use 192.168.50.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 so you'll have to modify the instructions accordingly.

If the router fails to start properly (this method uses a router bootloader function and shall work as long as there is no hardware fault):
  • Turn off the router.
  • Turn on the router.
  • Wait about 10 seconds.
So if i do this, and the only thing that lights up still is lan port 4, then it is safe to assume that my router has a hardware fault?

If the router fails to start properly (this method uses a router bootloader function and shall work as long as there is no hardware fault):
  • Turn off the router.
  • Turn on the router.
  • Wait about 10 seconds.
So if i do this, and the only thing that lights up still is lan port 4, then it is safe to assume that my router has a hardware fault?

You're not holding the WPS button long enough. Make sure you unplug the router from the power cord for a couple of minutes too (not just turn it off). Hold the WPS button until it reboots.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...eta-is-now-available.55520/page-9#post-473141

You're not holding the WPS button long enough. Make sure you unplug the router from the power cord for a couple of minutes too (not just turn it off). Hold the WPS button until it reboots.

Ok, so i don't need to release at a certain point for it to reboot? Like i tried to follow these instructions:

• Unplug it (with the power button on)
  • Leave for 5 minutes
  • Hold WPS
  • Plug in the power
  • Keep holding for 60 seconds
  • Release the WPS button
That does not do anything, it's still only lan port 4 that lights up during the whole process.

A month or two ago it stopped working. After un- and replugging it (i was vacuuming), it got caught in a perpertual boot loop.

Just an FYI on vacuuming... it sucks up ions and builds a static charge on the cleaner/hose/brush that may then be anxious to discharge (ESD) through the next thing you touch, no matter what it's made of. This can be deadly to electronics depending on the path the discharge takes.

And then there is the shuffling about on the carpeting you might be vacuuming...

OE

Ok, so i don't need to release at a certain point for it to reboot? Like i tried to follow these instructions:

• Unplug it (with the power button on)
  • Leave for 5 minutes
  • Hold WPS
  • Plug in the power
  • Keep holding for 60 seconds
  • Release the WPS button
That does not do anything, it's still only lan port 4 that lights up during the whole process.
I would try to execute the recovery mode procedure. If it does not work, then the retailer will not be able to either, your Merlin concern would be moot.

What I recently did was:
  • Unplug all USB and Ethernet
  • Plug Ethernet directly from router LAN port to PC port
  • Manually set PC port to 192.168.50.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.50.1
  • Run Asus Rescue utility with RT-AX88U_384.10_0_cferom_ubi.w (in your case RT-AC86U version)

I would try to execute the recovery mode procedure. If it does not work, then the retailer will not be able to either, your Merlin concern would be moot.

What I recently did was:
  • Unplug all USB and Ethernet
  • Plug Ethernet directly from router LAN port to PC port
  • Manually set PC port to 192.168.50.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.50.1
  • Run Asus Rescue utility with RT-AX88U_384.10_0_cferom_ubi.w (in your case RT-AC86U version)

Hey! That actually worked! Lights are on again. I will give it 30 minutes of rest and then trying hooking it to see if it is out of its perpertual boot loop.

FYI, I had 2 bad 86u's and both were returned with Merlin f/w installed. Neither was rejected.

God dang it. After getting it back to life (with all lights flashing) i unplugged it and moved it to the spot where my ethernet cable is. I plugged it in, and now it's back to perpertual boot loop. So i guess i just return it at this point?

God dang it. After getting it back to life (with all lights flashing) i unplugged it and moved it to the spot where my ethernet cable is. I plugged it in, and now it's back to perpertual boot loop. So i guess i just return it at this point?

After it was working (for a brief time), did you do a reset to factory defaults and also checked the box to 'initialize all settings'?

Was plugging anything in (cable into LAN port, USB drive/device) that put it in a reboot loop? If so, is there anything on the network that was on and may have affected it? (Possibly an infected device)?

If you did not perform a full reset to factory defaults, or if the issue is another device/cable you're plugging in, this issue might continue with a new/replacement router too.

After it was working (for a brief time), did you do a reset to factory defaults and also checked the box to 'initialize all settings'?

Was plugging anything in (cable into LAN port, USB drive/device) that put it in a reboot loop? If so, is there anything on the network that was on and may have affected it? (Possibly an infected device)

Nope, i did not do a reset to factory defaults.

Since this one broke i've been using my old router which have been working just fine with the cable i plugged in. And just now when everything was working fine, i was using the same adapter as when the bootloop occured. So seemingly the only variable was unplugging and replugging it.

While reinstalling, i just realised that the reason it was unresponsive before (as in only lan port 4 was flashing) was that i accidentially installed the 88u firmware instead of the 86u.

So maybe i can get it back to normal by purposely installing the wrong firmware, then the right, and then doing a factory reset before unplugging.

Nope, i did not do a reset to factory defaults.

Since this one broke i've been using my old router which have been working just fine with the cable i plugged in. And just now when everything was working fine, i was using the same adapter as when the bootloop occured. So seemingly the only variable was unplugging and replugging it.

While reinstalling, i just realised that the reason it was unresponsive before (as in only lan port 4 was flashing) was that i accidentially installed the 88u firmware instead of the 86u.

So maybe i can get it back to normal by purposely installing the wrong firmware, then the right, and then doing a factory reset before unplugging.

That doesn't sound like a good plan. :eek:

I think you may need to use ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility to flash the correct firmware onto your router now. Do not flash the wrong one, the right one is the only option.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC86U/Rescue_RT_AC86U_2101.zip

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814/

That doesn't sound like a good plan. :eek:

I think you may need to use ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility to flash the correct firmware onto your router now. Do not flash the wrong one, the right one is the only option.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC86U/Rescue_RT_AC86U_2101.zip

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000814/

Yea, but that's what i've done like 8 times now. Both with the most current version of the Asus firmware, with an older version of the Asus Firmware, with a wrong firmware (oops) and with the Merlin Firmware. Only once (just before) did i get it out of the bootloop, but every other time (including the 3 times i've just tried now) it goes right back to the boot loop as soons as the recovery process finishes.

What i do is it:
Press reset and turn it on and hold for 5 seconds till the "power button" starts blinking. That's the only way i can get the restoration software to work, since it cannot establish a connection with the router otherwise since it keeps booting.
I then upload the firmware. As soon as the restoration says: "Succesfully recovered the system! Please wait for the system to reboot" it goes back into the boot loop.

There are many reports of this boot loop problem on the RT-AC86U, almost all of them result in the person returning it for a replacement. There was a post here where someone described how he recovered his. Note that in his case the IP address was 192.168.1.1. Also note that he had to use LAN port 4. ;)

I'd give it one more go before accepting that it needs replacing. After all, even if you get it working today who's to say it won't happen again.

When the router is in recovery mode, instead of using the restoration utility have you tried pointing a browser at http://192.168.50.1?

Ok, so this is what i try to do.

• Plug ethernet cable into my CPU and the Lan port of the router.
  • Turning on the router while holding down reset, causing it to blink.
  • Typing ncpa.cpl into start, choosing LAN, and changing the properties of TCP/IPV4 to: 192.168.50.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.50.1
  • Then i open a browser and type in https://192.168.50.1 (i've also tried 192.168.50.2)
All that happens is that my browser says (roughly translated) "A connection can not be established to this website. 192.168.50.1 refused to establish a connection.".

There are many reports of this boot loop problem on the RT-AC86U, almost all of them result in the person returning it for a replacement. There was a post here where someone described how he recovered his. Note that in his case the IP address was 192.168.1.1. Also note that he had to use LAN port 4. ;)

I'd give it one more go before accepting that it needs replacing. After all, even if you get it working today who's to say it won't happen again.

Yea i tried their method before i accidentially installed the wrong software, leaving it completely unresponsive.

Now i've tried reinstalling the software like 5 more times, both with the port set to 192.168.50.1 and to 192.168.1.10, switching up between an old firmware, the newest firmware, and the merlin firmware. In every instance, it goes right back to boot looping, so i guess it's just a faulty product. Weird how i managed to get it to snap out of it once though, but i guess it won't happen again. :/

Also typing in 192.168.50.1 and 192.168.1.10 while in recovery mode yields no results.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!