What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U firmware release 3.0.0.4.384.45713

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LimJK

Very Senior Member
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC86U/FW_RT_AC86U_300438445713.zip

Version 3.0.0.4.384.45713
2019/04/18 57.76 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.45713

Security Fix
- Fixed CVE-2018-20334
- Fixed CVE-2018-20336
- Fixed null pointer issue. Thanks for CodeBreaker of STARLabs’ contribution.
- Fixed AiCloud buffer overflow vulnerability. Thanks for Resecurity International's contribution.

Bug Fix
- Fixed AiMesh LAN IP issue when router using IPv6 WAN.
- Fixed AIMesh connection issues.
- Fixed Network Map related issues.
- Fixed Download Master icon disappear issue.
- Fixed LAN LED not blinking problem.
- Fixed browser no response problem when enabled Traffic analyzer.
- Fixed wireless mac filter input issue.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 3572b70885cc2a54751ca17aaaa479e9

LimJK.. You just beat me to the punch.. Just noticed the update avalible in the Asus UI ....
-J
Oops, Sorry ... I happened to see the update after dinner my time ... you are early your time :) waiting very patiently for AC5300 Firmware update :(

Hopefully that comes out shortly... Still looks like predominanly bugfixes and security updates... not sure if this is the "Big Update" some have hinted to "Stay tuned something big is coming" ... Least so far.. have had less issues with Network Map once its settled in a bit...

OK folks. Someone with Trend Micro services enabled (Adaptive QoS or AIProtection) needs to please try this firmware and see if the "dcd" kernel fault error message is still happening, or if it's been resolved by Asus.

Please? Pretty please? :p :)

OK folks. Someone with Trend Micro services enabled (Adaptive QoS or AIProtection) needs to please try this firmware and see if the "dcd" kernel fault error message is still happening, or if it's been resolved by Asus.

Please? Pretty please? :p :)

Other routers on this firmware version state it was fixed, don't see why it wouldn't be here. :)

I vote for CriticJay to test this for the community! :D

I have been up for 5 hours now and there have been absolutely no spamming of messages in the system log. In fact, there have been no messages since it rebooted. I do have AIProtection on as well and no crashes. Fingers crossed.

The Wireless Log has some new detail like connection protocol and DFS channels.

OE

The 86U now has the transmit power slider control.

OE

You can now condition Auto control channel selection to include DFS channels (?):

"Auto select channel including DFS channels"

Edit: Doing so here resulted in no 5.0 GHz signal at some/all clients, so not recommended.

OE

Last edited:
Has this fixed the "Devices on Network Map keep vanishing" issue?

That is what is stated as a fix in post 1, but you will need to verify it fixed for your network.

Has this fixed the "Devices on Network Map keep vanishing" issue?

Seems steady... time will tell.

Edit: Chromecast2 dongle required power cycle to shift from 2.4 to 5.0 GHz signal (same SSIDs). The open client list showed it dropping from the 2.4 interface and re-appearing under the 5.0 interface in real-time.

OE

Last edited:
What I did to upgrade 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh:
o webUI upgrade all at once (router and node);
o webUI removed node (node auto resets to factory defaults);
o webUI restore/initialize router to factory defaults;
o configured router from scratch;
o added wireless node in place, 77' away in detached brick garage;
o disabled WPS;
o enabled AiProtection;
o edit: ran ShieldsUp at grc.com to check for open ports.

In the Wireless Log under 2.4 GHz Ch 2, the wireless backhaul node MAC has the entry 'ac' in column PHY; the other two 2.4 GHz wireless client MACs have the entry 'n'. Does this suggest that the wireless backhaul is using the ac protocol on the 2.4 GHz band?

So far, no funny business; it 'feels' good.

Edit: The 5.0 GHz DFS channel inclusion did not work here. I plead ignorance on DFS channel usage. Also, searching to add the node again (post DFS experiment) automatically re-enabled WPS.

Edit: Wireless backhaul in Log gets stronger over time... beamforming?

OE

Last edited:
I'm on Merlin. What is the usual time frame for these type of updates to be rolled into a Merlin release?

I'm on Merlin. What is the usual time frame for these type of updates to be rolled into a Merlin release?

No set schedule. Volunteer and spare time required. ;)

And have to add the time it takes for ASUS to make the 45713 code available to Eric.

Yes!

Just because it is released for public consumption it doesn't necessarily mean the GPL drop was made in that instant too. Just checked. The latest is the previous firmware's GPL weighing in at just over 1GB from Dec 20, 2018. :)

Great point, glad you replied! :)

You can now condition Auto control channel selection to include DFS channels (?):

"Auto select channel including DFS channels"

Edit: Doing so here resulted in no 5.0 GHz signal at some/all clients, so not recommended.

OE
I wonder if it is common for 5GHz legacy client devices to support DFS channels.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!