What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.18848

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Still notice a SMB/FTP transfer perfromance hit when enabling AiProtection, not half as bad as before where you would lose 90% of throughtput, now it's more like 15%.

Seems to be a few problems with the 18848 build for the RT-AC86U. The 2.4 GHz General tab looks ok, the 5 Ghz General tab and other 5 Ghz tabs are FUBAR. Here's the list:

5 Ghz wifi setting issues:

Wireless mode: doesn't show 802.11ac, looks like the 2.4 Ghz selections
Channel bandwidth: shows only the 2.4 Ghz selections 20 and 40 Mhz wide 20/40
Control channel: Doesn't show any channel numbers although the drop down sort of works
Extension Channel: Doesn't work

Titles for the tabs at the top are missing

Here's the previous build tabs: V 382.18219 and then the current build V 382.18848

Don't know why this hasn't been a point of discussion over the last few days. The router updates the version automatically, so, you wouldn't notice the problem unless you looked at the 5 Ghz tab. The router continues to operate with the previously set parameters, you just can't see them. If you brought this router home and started to set it up, the first thing that will happen is the update to V 382.18848 with this issue. So, can't get into the settings properly, can't set the 5 Ghz wifi as you would prefer. You would have to load the previous V 382.18219, prevent it from uploading the newer 18848 version, set the parameters, reboot and then let it update or update it yourself. A bit of a pain to say the least. I've been thru this a couple of times experimenting with it so I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who's seen this??

I'm assuming that the additional WEP key settings are for Mesh purposes??

Attachments

• V3.0.0.4.382.18219 2.4 Ghz General tab.png
    V3.0.0.4.382.18219 2.4 Ghz General tab.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 531
  • V3.0.0.4.382.18219 5 Ghz General tab.png
    V3.0.0.4.382.18219 5 Ghz General tab.png
    396.2 KB · Views: 734
  • V3.0.0.4.382.18848 2.4 Ghz settings.png
    V3.0.0.4.382.18848 2.4 Ghz settings.png
    361.4 KB · Views: 414
  • V3.0.0.4.382.18848 5 Ghz settings.png
    V3.0.0.4.382.18848 5 Ghz settings.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 435
I'm running 18848 and my 5Ghz page is normal, not sure what is going on with yours. You in the US or somewhere else?

Sam

Seems to be a few problems with the 18848 build for the RT-AC86U....

5 Ghz wifi setting issues:I've been thru this a couple of times experimenting with it so I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who's seen this??

I didn't realize the Wireless setting screens were missing/non-functional after I upgraded to 18848. I just updated the firmware and logged out. Everything seemed to be working fine.

I logged into my AC86U tonight to change a setting and ran into the same problem. I downgraded to 18219 and performed a factory reset, only to have the router upgrade itself back to 18848 and reintroduce the problem. Reinstalled 18219, skipped the factory reset, and the UI is back to normal.

Last edited:
I was looking at the UI again last night and found that it wasn't so bad after all. The problem is when you're on the General Tab. With 2.4 Ghz selected, you can see and navigate to all of the other tabs. When you select the 5 Ghz band, the rest of the tabs disappear, so you can't see them or navigate to them. So, given that when you're on the 2.4 Ghz General tab and you can see the other tabs, navigate to any of those tabs. When you're on the selected tab, you can then select the 5 Ghz band and you will see all of the 5 Ghz tabs. You can navigate to any of the other tabs, with 5 Ghz still selected on arrival at that tab. At that point you will still see all of the other tabs. The odd exception is when you go to the General tab, at which point all of the other tabs are no longer seen. So, it doesn't matter which way you get to the 5 Ghz General tab, the problem can be seen, or in this case, not seen.

The problem with downgrading is that you can't prevent the update to the latest firmware version. So, if you log back in, you will see the new version loaded. As long as you have the 5 Ghz settings where you want them to be, with the previous version, then the update should still retain those settings and you probably won't notice the upgrade.

Fwiw, the MD5 code checks out and is the same as the MD5 code shown on the Asus download page, so, its not a matter of a corrupted file. Looks like a UI bug introduced in this version.

With 2.4 Ghz selected, you can see and navigate to all of the other tabs. When you select the 5 Ghz band, the rest of the tabs disappear, so you can't see them or navigate to them.
In my case, I don't see the other tabs whether selecting 2.4 or 5Ghz.

Perhaps it's something browser dependent. I tried it with both Edge and Firefox.

In my case, I don't see the other tabs whether selecting 2.4 or 5Ghz.

Perhaps it's something browser dependent. I tried it with both Edge and Firefox.

It appears that Asus introduced the same problem for the RT-AC68U in 3.0.0.4.382.18881

I don't have any of these rendering problems for either my RT-AC68U or RT-AC86U in Chrome on my Mac with 18881 or 18848 firmwares, respectively. I suspect a cache flush is needed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!