What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version RT-AC86U_3.0.0.4.384.32797

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LimJK

Very Senior Member
:)

For those who cannot wait ... I did the update through GUI, just installed. I will add the Release notes when it becomes available on the website.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC86U/FW_RT_AC86U_300438432797.zip

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32797
2018/08/24 59.86 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32797
AiMesh new features
- Supported creating mesh system with new router, BlueCave.
- Added Roaming block list in Advanced Settings --> Wireless.
You can add devices into block list and this device will not be roamed between AiMesh nodes.
- Supported ethernet onboarding. User can use ethernet cable.
You can use ethernet cable to connect AiMesh router LAN port and AiMesh node WAN port first and run the adding node process to build the mesh system.

Security fixes.
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed CSRF vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow vulnerability.
Thanks for Rick Ramgattie contribution.

Fixed Adaptive QoS upload bandwidth setting issue.
Fixed 4-wires ethernet cable compatibility issues.
Fixed USB hard drive over 2TB compatibility issues.
Fixed Samba/FTP folder permission issues.
Added USB3.0/2.0 mode switch setting in Administration --> System --> USB Settings.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 0d22564746bd9d10251624c72475058e

Last edited:
my 86u see

Changelog
Code:
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_32797
- Release Note - 

AiMesh new features:
- Supported creating mesh system with new router, BlueCave.
- Added Roaming block list in Advanced Settings --> Wireless.
  You can add devices into block list and this device will not be roamed between AiMesh nodes.
- Supported ethernet onboarding. User can use ethernet cable.
  You can use ethernet cable to connect AiMesh router LAN port and AiMesh node WAN port first and run the adding node process to build the mesh system.

Security fixes:
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed CSRF vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow vulnerability.
  Thanks for Rick Ramgattie contribution.

Bug fixes and enhancements: 
- Fixed Adaptive QoS upload bandwidth setting issue.
- Fixed 4 wires ethernet cable compatibility issues.
- Fixed USB hard drive over 2TB compatibility issues.
- Fixed Samba/FTP folder permission issues.
- Added USB3.0/2.0 mode switch setting in Administration --> System --> USB Settings.

Hmm.

Updated yesterday. The overnight auto-reboot killed everything. The 86U and the nodes all needed a power cycle to get things working again this morning. Will monitor...

So I'm assuming the Roaming Block List feature will pin a client to the main router and prevent it from roaming to any nodes. Wondering if there will be a way to pin a client to a node?

Also it's capped at 3, that's very strange:

7718lGI.png

So I'm assuming the Roaming Block List feature will pin a client to the main router and prevent it from roaming to any nodes. Wondering if there will be a way to pin a client to a node?
What I understood they still can connect where they want to, only roaming assistant wont actively move them from one to another.

What I understood they still can connect where they want to, only roaming assistant wont actively move them from one to another.

Interesting, that would be useful for devices that don't physically move. It's a shame its limited to 3 devices though.

max limit is 64

123.png

i see, but i think its a gui bug.
Report this using Feedback function from router menu.

Hmm.

Updated yesterday. The overnight auto-reboot killed everything. The 86U and the nodes all needed a power cycle to get things working again this morning. Will monitor...

This has been an intermittent fault (seen here) on both OE & Merlin firmware for some while now.
Scheduling, both of reboots, or wireless, seems a little unreliable.
Can run fine for a few days, then, ooops......

I know - but the last firmware was fine. Auto-rebooted nightly for a month. As soon as this f/w went in, it all fell apart again.

I know - but the last firmware was fine. Auto-rebooted nightly for a month. As soon as this f/w went in, it all fell apart again.

You were just fortunate. ;-)
The fault appears to be intermittent, sometimes it’s ok for a while, other times crashes daily. YMMV.

Is the download down for anyone else? Cant seem to grab the file. Not working through asus support page or directly through router either....

This seemed to fix a few annoying issues i had with AiMesh and a Shield TV.
The Shield kept dropping from the meshed router, but with this update, everything is finally working as per normal.
This is the best mesh firmware to date for me.

I have a 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh with a wireless backhaul. I recently installed another 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh at another location. After upgrading to 32797, we discovered that speed tests on several wireless PC clients at the node yielded irregular results. Some results were nearly normal, but then the throughput would jump around and fall off... sometimes it would not complete (socket error). This is after repeating the test multiple times in succession.

I spent today re-configuring my system more than once. I re-installed with plenty of resets, initialization, and power cycles. I swapped router and node. I installed a temporary wired backhaul. And I speed tested with a wired PC from both router and node. Performance was normal at the router for all clients. Performance was normal at the node for wired clients with wired and wireless backhauls. The problem affects only wireless clients at the node regardless of backhaul type and appears to affect the client connection to the node i.e. not stable. Three 86Us were tested at two locations (same ISP, different cable modems) and all three as nodes exhibited the issue.

So, I downgraded to the previous release 21140 and now the speed tests for a wireless client at the node are normal. I think the release notes indicate that 32797 is a significant change, and I think something was been broken... I will hold at 21140.

Update 9/15/2018: This AiMesh defect remains in firmware 3.0.0.4.384_32799.

Update 9/22/2018: Here's a similar problem post:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-aimesh-causes-almost-no-2-4ghz-throughput.48971/

Update 10/11/2018: This issue is not fixed by disabling Smart Connect; or Roaming Assistant; or by adjusting wireless mode, channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel, one setting at a time; or MU-MIMO; or beamforming. Reverting a node to 21140 does fix that node, but you should revert the whole AiMesh.

Update 10/25/2018: This issue appears to be fixed inadvertently in a special/beta firmware 9.0.0.4_384_5086. Verdict is still out on what this means.

Update 12/10/2018: This issue appears to be fixed in firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149. My Win10 Intel Tri-Band Wireless-AC 18265 adapter link rate at the node still drops briefly once or twice per speed test from 866 to 780 before recovering to 866. During many repeated tests, I saw link rate 650 once and 390 once. I never see this link rate fluctuation at the router. All speed tests passed at about 115/11 (nominal is 100/10); the ping is a little longer at the node.

OE

Last edited:
my 86 sometimes loses the node. I have to manually restore the noda factory settings and add it again. This was not the case before.
In addition, it sometimes shows that the wan is disconnected, but everything works fine. Then I have to reset to the default settings to show correctly connection status.

I have a 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh with a wireless backhaul. I recently installed another 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh at another location. After upgrading to 32797, we discovered that speed tests on a wireless client (new, fast Dell Latitude laptop) on the node yielded irregular results. Some results were nearly normal, but then the throughput would jump around and fall off... sometimes it would not complete. This is after repeating the test multiple times in succession.

I spent today re-configuring my system more than once. I re-installed with plenty of resets, initialization, and power cycles. I swapped router and node. I installed a temporary wired backhaul. And I speed tested with a fast wired PC from both router and node. Performance was normal at the router for all clients. Performance was normal at the node for wired clients with wired and wireless backhauls. The problem affected only the wireless client at the node (3 86Us out of 4 were tested for this and all 3 as nodes had the issue).

So, I downgraded to the previous release 21140 and now the speed tests for a wireless client at the node are normal. I think the release notes indicate that 32797 is a significant change, and I think something was been broken... I will hold at 21140.

OE

The way I see it, this issue was easy to replicate on a different set of 86Us and easy to eliminate by downgrading the firmware. I think ASUS should pull firmware 3.0.0.4.384.32797 for the 86U.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!